Careful with the Power Inserter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by Doug Brott, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1 of 17
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you haven't used an SWM device yet, you have to be careful of the order in which you connect it. Failure to follow the directions properly can result in a fried receiver.

I'll see if I can find the instructions because at least one person did not get them in with the switch. I'm pretty sure that they should be in the Power Inserter box.

2. Oct 9, 2008 #2 of 17
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Perhaps the link to the last SWM8 install instructions will suffice for any novice users....just a suggestion. :)

3. Oct 9, 2008 #3 of 17
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Post that if you can find it quickly .. I'm running out at the moment :)

Here's the installation guide from Weaknees.com

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-ref-guide.pdf

4. Oct 9, 2008 #4 of 17
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  5. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    DO NOT underestimate the importance of the proper connections.

As Doug indicated, it is prudent to double and triple check all the connections before powering up the Power Injector and SWM8 setup.

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    My install is easy. I'm already setup in paralle w/ an SWM5. Pull the power on everything...repalce SWM...re-power and I should be good to go.

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I certainly know YOU know what you're doing....:D

8. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I try. :D

Well.... Mine was pretty straight forwardsince all I was doing was replacing a 5 port w/ a 8 port SWM. The PI are the same specs for those wondering.

I like the rubber boots that come pre-installed on the inputs and the metal end caps instead of the cheezy plastic caps used for the un-used ports.

I simply diconnected the power plug from my UPS that feeds the PI and swapped switches. Then I plugged the power back in and everything came up within a minute.

I'm a happy camper. Man....this thing just did come off the slow boat..... Dated Oct. 3 and a hand written date of 10-7 on the back for some reason. Not sure what that was for. Maybe when they installed the latest firmware or something.

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    My install was very similar this morning....and in the spirit of consistency....I did a "First Look" in a separate thread (in this private forum area).

10. Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    I suppose that I can not use the powered amp if I diplex the OTA?

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I have a powered amp for my OTA, and run the amp output from there into the SWM8 OTA input...works fine.

I guess it depends on how much "power" we're talking about. :D

12. Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    I have an amplifier mount at the mast and a power supply "back feeding" up the coax. In this configuration the power would have to be diplexed back up the single coax from the local diplexer at the HR-20 DTV / OTA lines, I think... I believe I would connect the antenna feed into SWM OTA port, run the coax to a diplexer, with the power pass leg feeding DTV sat splitter and the other leg feeding into OTA power supply and on to my OTA distribution amp.

Just don't want to put mast amp power supply in line until I am certain.
    Confused? I am

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Mine is an in-line power amp with a small transformer....I don't know the answer with your proposed configuration...so I don't want to steer you wrong.

Perhaps someone else knows????

14. Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    hdtvfan, where do you have the SWM power inserter in line? It sounds like you have the power inerter "power' and the OTA amp "power' in the same line, thats is what I'd like to do if possible.

Crude drawing:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15953&d=1223768907

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    From my OTA antenna line...it runs into the house, where I have my power amp. The output cable of that runs into the OTA input port on the SWM8. The power supply is very small, and the OTA DB gain is about 16 DB...not high-powered, but helpful based on my distance from the OTA HDTV towers in my area.

The OTA power line has nothing to directly do with the SWM8, except that the feed into the SWM8 comes from that source. The actually are powered on 2 separate power source lines, not that it matters all that much.

My OTA signal range from about 80% on 2 low channels to 100% on 6high channels, and 4 more channels in between in signal levels.

16. Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    Ok, different than I was going. I thought antenna (with amp) to OTA port of SWM. Output of SWM 1 would then go to SWM power inserter. Then to diplexer; one leg (power pass) out to DVR and other leg out to pwr supply for mast mounted OTA amp thru to distribution amp for OTA signal to HR20, 2 FM tuners, whole house UHF/FM signal. I need to pass pwr to both SWM and to mast mounted amp. Seems like I would either not have power to mast amp (no power pass thru diplexer) or the mast amp pwr supply and SWM power inserter would conflict.

I live in a hole, need amplified UHF and FM mast mounted antenna to get signal to FM tuners (always) and to TV when cloud cover prevents DTV signal.

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You may just then want to look at the output from SWM1 or SWM2 and diplexer your antenna OTA outputs to each HD DVR with OTA and the sat lines "merged" to the HD DVRs.