1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casting issues on Criminal Minds

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jan 30, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Funny you should ask. Right at the moment indications are that Paget Brewster's character Emily Prentiss is going to have a reduced role. There were a number of articles on the show's casting when CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler was sent out to be a target for the press two weeks ago.

According to E! Online:
    The story includes a bunch of BS from Tassler about why the changes?

According to another story headlined The Future of Paget Brewster on Criminal Minds:
    Vangsness has some very mixed feelings about the situation as seen in comments she made to the folks at Zap2It:
    And in a story headlined CBS President Defends Criminal Minds Casting Moves, Says Paget Brewster's Return is Actress' Call:
    I always keep in mind that a few years ago in response to some cast contract demands CBS just dumped some key characters on "CSI" without blinking.

There is no question that A.J. Cook leaving the show really upset the fans. CBS takes some pretty big risks creating strong characters with great actors and then dumping them. I really liked this article at the time she left the show:
    We still like the show. And we like Kirsten Vangsness's character. But there is a risk CBS is going to run the weird, quirky female techie into the ground. I hope they have sense enough to stop with Vangsness and Pauley Perrette (NCIS) characters Penelope Garcia and Abby Sciuto. It would make an interesting crossover to have the two of them interact.

As far as Rachel Nichols as Agent Ashley Seaver, so far she's been ok. But she wasn't in the last episode. And it's obvious that they knew they'd have a problem, so they included an elaborate backstory for her. On the other hand, if she asks for Pepsi's when they only have Coke on the set we may never see her again.:rolleyes:

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I'll say it before, and I'll say it again... I dumped a lot of shows during the writers strike from about three years ago now. Criminal Minds and the CSIs were among them. Last year saw another pruning while I finished my degree. Did I miss 'em? No.

It sounds like the networks is trying to reign in program costs big time, and what is sounding like to me is lets replace the actors with cheaper ones. CBS is also a bit heavy on the procedural dramas, and that is likely to hurt them later. Plus, the TV landscape has changed from 10 years ago.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Getting rid of any character (for any reason) is never popular. IMHO, what CBS did to AJ Cook was rotten but that's the way things go in life. I'm sure we have all known people who were let go from their job in order to bring in someone cheaper (& at times inferior).

I have never been a fan of Penelope Garcia and very much would have preferred they had shown her the door over JJ. I am not exactly sure how I feel on the idea of cutting back on Prentiss but then again up until this point she has pretty much been just filler material. Let's see where the next few weeks take us with Prentiss and see..

4. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    What I find equally as bad is the new "formula crime-drama" format of the show. What was great about the show was that it dealt with the concepts and logistics about solving crimes by "building the profile" of the unsub. You had to try and figure things out too during the course of the episode. Now, it seems all that is needed is a few "educated guesses" at the first crime scene, a quick "Garcia-Google" capable of cross-referencing any combination of facts, theories and ideas in sinlge keystroke and then let's go get 'em. This weeks episode (the young couple on killing spree) was one of the worst in the shows history. Sadly, I think it's time has passed.
    :(

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I watch these types of shows (CM, CSI, etc.) mainly for the process of solving, not the characters. As long as there's interesting crimes and ways to solve them, I'll be watching, regardless of who the actors are.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    No one likes to see favorite characters leave a show, but in this case CBS may have made a correct move.

Criminal Minds suffered a drop from #11 to #16 in the 5th season.

The cast changes effect on its standing won't be known for sure until the season ends, but the average viewers is up by almost 1 million/episode.

Rachel Nichols is the beautiful new member of the cast and she will be permanent beginning with ep 15. Fans of AJ Cook have been brutal to her though she did not take AJ's place on the BAU team.

Rachel Nichols, 31, is probably best known for her roles in "Alias" & G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

7. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It is expected that as a show ages it's ratings will fluctuate. A drop from 11 to 16 for a given season does not warrant panic or shaking up the cast. Season 5 also saw Derek Morgan take over the BAU (for a number of episodes) in a move that also proved to be unpopular. Maybe CBS should have canned Shemar Moore instead :rolleyes:

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    You won't see that on those shows. You're seeing fiction.

If you want to see the process of solving, watch "The First 48" or "The Shift" or a couple of other similar factual shows.

Oh, and you won't see any runway models with perfect hair either. You'll see the likes of Caroline Mason, Eunice Cooper, Jo Ann Kinney and Christine Mannina.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I was pretty PO'd when AJ was let go and even more PO'd when this new chick took her place after we were told AJ was let go for budget reasons. Once Paget's role is decreased, or she leaves, I'm done with the show I think. Shemar's overacting is getting to be a bit too much for me.

10. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I see it every week. Doesn't matter if it's fiction, there's still interesting ways they go about solving things (whether accurate or not).

11. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    The primary problem with the casting changes is that they only effected the actresses not the actors. One was fired altogether, one had her episodes reduced, the third has to pull double duty. It's the most obvious example of sexism in the television that I've seen in a while.

Rachel Nichols can't be faulted for taking a job (I'm not sure what her beauty has to do with it; it's network television, all the actors, male and female, are "beautiful.") However, it's only in the imaginary world of the show that she didn't take the previous actress's place. She was hired and Cook was fired because she would be cheaper. All the cost cutting was taken out on the women who work/worked on the show. It was a disgusting move by the network.

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Rachel Nichols was hired originally as a new cast member, then her role was reduced to a 3 episode story arc.

Producers then came back, before the first "Cadet Agent Seaver" episode aired and reinstated the original deal for series regular.

Paget Brewster's reduced role in the series gave her the ability to exercise a "Pilot Out" clause in her contract which will allow here to pursue other opportunities if they arise.

It is unlikely Rachel Nichols was obtained any cheaper that AJ Cook, as her acting resume is more extensive (though perhaps it doesn't matter) and she was probably cast because of her work on "Alias" "The Inside" and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra".

13. astrohip

astrohip Cool Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Criminal Minds Exclusive: A.J. Cook Returns!

http://www.tvline.com/2011/02/criminal-minds-exclusive-a-j-cook-returns/

From Michael Ausiello and TVline.com:

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    But it is only for one episode! The last show I recall doing that was CSI:NY who brought back a former CSI for one show only to have her hacked up and the CSI's working to solve her murder.
    My guess is either something will happen to Prentsis (maybe that phone call she received has something to do with it) and the BAU is going to need JJ's help or something terrible will happen to JJ which will cause Prentsis to rethink her carrer and leave the BAU.

Either way, I suspect Criminal Minds will find itself delegated to bottom of my Series Links for next season. Thank You CBS for screwing up a perfectly good show!

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yep, the call and the meeting with the caller where she asked "Is he coming after me?" and the reply "He's coming after us all", would lead me to believe she's gonna be whacked.

16. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    And let's not forget that despite claims of needing to reduce budgets, they produced a spin off with A list names as actors that will cost a fortune.

17. astrohip

astrohip Cool Member

Mar 4, 2007
    New show, new budget.

Or maybe (let's put on our paranoid caps for this) they cut the budget to free up some money for the spinoff. :nono2:

18. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I actually meant the CBS budget. They seem to be cutting a few shows casts but then they go and spend big bucks on a spin off with A list people. People I happen to not care for at all - but that is just me. Most of the people in the original Criminal Minds were relatively unknown - or at least not on top shows before. I guess Shemar Moore was on a soap? Didn't know that until Criminal Minds made it. A.J. Cook was on some show with fan fave Eliza Dushku -but the show did not make it and she was a minor character. The actor that plays Hotch was in a top comedy show, but I hadn't seen him in a long time after that show went off the air. I had never seen Garcia or Prentiss or Reid or the other female prior to Prentiss in any other show. Of course Mandy Patinkin cost big bucks and then his replacement is pretty well known as well.

Oh well - just my ramblings and my own perspective. I also thought the cuts were pretty misogynistic, but did not want to go there as it might be a personal bias.

19. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I thought that show last week was very good. Probably the best CM episode I've ever seen. I've always enjoyed the show in spite of what I thought about the casting, which is odd for me. I usually don't watch shows that are poorly cast. I just can't get past Dharma's husband playing the role of Hotch, or whatever his name is. I keep waiting for Dharma to appear and drag him home......:lol:

Rich

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Tru Calling, and it was a good show. Also had Zack Galifianakis and Matt Bomer (White Collar). They killed the show when they added Jason Priestly though.

Most Notably Paget Brewster was on Andy Richter's Universe, great show, and does voices for numerous cartoons including American Dad, Family Guy, etc. She was also on Huff which was Hank Azaria's Showtime show a few years back. She played Hank's wife. The show wasn't that great but I watched just to see her. :D