1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cause for concern on my HR21-100?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PaulieORF, Feb 21, 2009.

1. PaulieORF

PaulieORF Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    I'm not sure if this is something that I should be worried about as far as my HR21, but maybe someone has heard of this happening before.

Yesterday all of my HD channels started to stutter both with audio and video every 5-10 seconds, it looked like a poor signal issue. However the signal readings showed all mid to high 90s on all TPs on 103c and 99c. Also my H21-100 in my bedroom had no problems, no stuttering at all. I did a red button reset and when it came back up, it continued to do the same thing, lots of stuttering. So I then decided to initiate a full software download (out of desperation) and since then it seems that the problem has disappeared.

So I'm glad that it seems to be working now, but it seems like a strange way to resolve a problem like that. Has anyone else heard of this happening before, and has it ever come back?

Thanks.

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    That is a little strange.

I'm glad the download fixed the problem. BTW, that's not unheard of but not very common.

What time did you do the download yesterday?

Mike

3. CT_Jeff

CT_Jeff New Member

May 10, 2007
    I believe I am having the same problem. Although I only have one DVR which is stuttering badly (only for the last week and a half) but my other non DVR receiver in other rooms are working great.

How do you accomplish a full software download?

I would really like to try that.

Thanks

CT_Jeff

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. Reset the DVR from the Reset Menu or red button behind front panel access card door.

2. When the Ring LED's start "spinning", enter from your remote the following number keys one after the other .... 0 2 4 6 8

3. You should see the "Downloading Software" screen.

Typically this will just re-install the software that's already on your DVR.

5. CT_Jeff

CT_Jeff New Member

May 10, 2007
    litzdog911,

Thank you for your very quick response.

I am going to go try this and see if it will help.

Thanks again,

CT_Jeff

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

Yes and yes. If it does it again, force another download. I've got a really wacky 21-700 and I have had to force several downloads. Doesn't always help, but doesn't seem to hurt. Just don't buy into the "reformat the hard drive" thing that CSRs so strongly suggest. That has never done anything but delete all my programs.

Rich