1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caution: D* Prohibits Sale of Owned Receivers on eBay

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rudeney, Oct 15, 2008.

1. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I’ve mentioned this a few times, but I now have some proof that D* routinely cancels auctions on eBay for their new equipment. I was watching an auction (see below) and it’s now gone. Another forum member (I’ll let him identify himself if he so chooses) PM’ed me as he was also watching this auction.

Ironically, they only seem to cancel those where sellers claim that the unit is “owned”. Units that do not make this claim seem to be left alone. Of course there are dozens of units for sale by authorized dealers, usually noted as such or they sell sealed units with sealed access cards.

Anyhow, I’ve started keeping track of these and am trying to see if there is a pattern. Form what I can tell, D* has no legal right to prevent the sale of an owned receiver. Technically, they have no legal right prevent the sale of an access card, either, but the terms of service prohibit it. nothing in their terms of service prohibits the sale of the receivers.

So, for anyone thinking about selling a D* receiver on ebay, think again!

Attached Files:

• HR21.jpg
      HR21.jpg
      File size:
      290.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Might just be that they do not want people getting receivers that the seller is claiming as owned but in reality is leased.

3. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    item was due to expire this morning, you sure it was pulled?

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Did you ask the seller why it was canceled? Nothing in your picture stated it was canceled by request of D*.

There could be tons of reasons this auction was canceled.

Someone sending him an email with a buyout price he couldn't pass.

Someone getting the RID from him and finding out it was leased then notifying Ebay of a fraudulent auction.

Purchased it from someone at a garage sale and they contacted him back to let him know it was leased and they had to return it.

His broke and he decided to use it.

Could keep going but overall I would hope that D* does not pay someone to scan ebay all day to look at auctions. I couldn't see that being cost effective in any manner even if it was so that they could keep Cust sat scores higher by not making someone mad who got scammed.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

Taken from the DirecTV service agreement:

So they can legally stop you from selling an access card.

6. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Directv DOES pay a company to scan eBay and cancel auctions, I have ran into them several times selling owned equipment, they never answer email if you ask them why a item was canceled. Last go around with them was over a HR20-700 that I owned, I stated that no access card was included and that was the wording that they did not like.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is likely what is going on ..

8. Jon J

Jon J Grouch Extrordinaire

Apr 22, 2002
    Music City, USA
    I own an HR20 that was a PP replacement for an owned HR10. I'm not contemplating selling it but were I to want to I can't see how DirecTV could prevent it if I don't include the access card, right? ;)

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Well the first thing that I would ask would be is the receiver working? If it was replaced by PP that should indicate there was a problem with the receiver.

I think that if you put an auction up and didn't try to oversell what it was you would be ok but I'm not an E-bayer. I'd probably just put DirecTV HD Tivo Hr10-250. I wouldn't mention owned/leased status. I wouldn't mention anything about access cards. I'd just list what it was.

10. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Craigslist is better anyway. I sold a receiver several years ago. A guy called me and picked up the receiver within about 30 minutes of posting my ad.

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I have gotten a couple of HR20-700s as replacements under the Protection Plan for HR10-250s that I owned that were no longer working. Those HR20-700s are now on my account as owned units. I'm guessing that what Jon J had in mind with his post.

12. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes I mis-read what he posted and though he meant he was selling the hr10 that was replaced.

13. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    took the words right out of my mouth. i doubt directv (and i've bought 3 older units from ebay without incident) would make a stink if you legitmately owned the unit and wanted to sell. i'd bet a significant sum of money many of those units being sold that are claimed to be owned are owned by directv. and i certainly hope they would stop the sale!!

14. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i've caught a few people trying to sell leased directv units on craigslist too.

15. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I just sold an R15 receiver that I got before the whole lease thing started. I stated that it was owned, and no access card was included. After the auction ended, and the transaction completed, I was notified that the auction was canceled.

I was baffled, and I've received no reponse to the email I sent to ask why the auction was canceled.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    My guess would be that the company they use doesn't manually search but does text mining. I would try again without saying anything about an access card. Chances are there are keywords that will flag the system and an automated response goes to the seller and ebay. I wouldn't want to know the cost of having live people sit around and search all day plus respond to emails.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can't sell the access card because you don't own the access card. While one may be included with a new machine, it does not become the property of the buyer of the receiver.
    This is akin to bundled software that comes with a device. You are granted a license to use the software, but you aren't allowed to resell nor transfer your license to anyone else.

18. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not sure there's really anything wrong with this unless:

1. They offer the non-transferable access card with the receiver
    2. They fraudulently state that the receiver is owned

19. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Actually, plenty of auctions run full-term to sale and they are not identified as owned; they very well could be leased. In fact, one I saw close is a person claiming to have “bought” the HR21 for $199 at BestBuy. That is an obvious lease, yet the auction did not get cancelled. My guess is that D* does not care about these. They aren’t trying to protect buyers from getting stuck with useless leased receivers; they are trying to protect their own revenue stream created by the leasing model by making it completely useless to ever own a receiver and also make it nearly impossible to add a receiver without restarting a commitment.

I am certain. There is absolutely no record of the auction. It’s like it never existed. And as I said, another member on this forum mentioned it to me in a PM.

It was not canceled by the seller. If it had been, there would be a record of the auction with the reason. The auction totally “vaporized” which is what happens when the VeRO cancels it. D* doesn’t actually pay people to scan the auctions, VeRO is a “bot” that does it for them based on their criteria.

Intellectual property rights are a sticky subject. IANAL, but I have consulted one who believes they have no legal leg to stand on here. The reasoning has to do with the fact that the card is married to the hardware. Again, IANAL, this is just what I have been told. It would need to go to court to be proved.

Meaning the access card being included…No, there have been several auctions that very specifically stated it was not included, yet they were cancelled. Mine was one of them.

They prevent you from selling it on eBay because eBay offers them the VeRO program. Places like Craigslist and other outlets have no such cooperation with D*, so you could sell it there, at a yard sale, or two a friend (and this is in fact what was suggested to me by D*’s office of the president when I complained).

That’s a very old, outdated page. Notice how it talks about “P4” cards. They haven’t been used for years. It does also mention “devices”.

Actually, I believe they look for “owned” as well. Like I said, I think the issue is not to protect buyers from ended up with unusable leased equipment, but to protect D*’s very profitable leasing model.