CBS All Access to become Paramount+ in 2021

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Sep 16, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  3. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    What do you find lacking on it?

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lots of little things. Mostly navigation. Had no issues with the picture or content.

Rich

5. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    As long as they get something that I can stream ALL episodes of Yellowstone on, I'm game. :p I think someone foresaw this coming down the road in some earlier threads regarding CBSAA? It's hazy to me, but that sounds familiar.
    This is good news for some football (American and European) fans, alike!

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    IIRC, Peacock has Yellowstone. Good series. Costner.

Rich

the2130, B. Shoe and techguy88 like this.
  7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I read elsewhere today that unfortunately, not so long ago a bunch of Paramount content was sold to NBC/Universal and is now on their Peacock channel... so, this Paramount+ on some level is kind of going to be Paramount- as a result of not having the foresight to keep some of that content for themselves.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Don't forget about ESPN+ and TiVo+. I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T comes out with HBO Max+ ROFL

ViacomCBS signed the rights to some of their shows away on exclusive deals to other upstart streamers that are absent on Roku & Amazon at the present moment.
    • Peacock - Yellowstone (currently has Seasons 1-2 requires Peacock Premium, Season 3 is in the Paramount Network TVE app)
    • HBO Max - South Park (new episodes are added to HBO Max 24 hours after their premiere on Comedy Central), Awkafinia is Nora from Queens
      • HBO Max also purchased two existing comedies from Comedy Central. Their new seasons will be Max Originals: The Other Two, South Side (their first seasons will be on HBO Max in 2021.)
    The big deal ViacomCBS - Peacock signed was for non-exclusive content allowing them to resell it to other services and add it to their own services. The movie package will have limited availability windows (i.e. a Paramount movie exclusive to Peacock for 1-3 months then rotate out when another takes its place.)

During Big Brother's first endurance Head of Household competition on September 10 the CBS website, CBS All Access on Apple and Android devices (TV, iPad & mobile) all crashed after the live eviction episode ended and CBS had advertised that week it would be available to watch unedited as it happened on Big Brother's Live Feeds as soon as the East coast live episode ended. So... I don't know if the service is currently suited to be airing higher profile events o_O

Also.... I don't get the whole point of renaming it Paramount+ in all honestly. The CBS brand is more recognized. This is the most AT&T move by a non-AT&T company I've seen yet. :confused:

B. Shoe and Rich like this.
  9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    They do that a lot on Big Brother. Advertise it all week and then don't put it on as promised. I suspect they just withhold it to make the live shows get better ratings.

10. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Sports? Of those listed:

NFL - The current contracts mean that the only NFL live content CBS could stream is what is already streamed by the NFL and Yahoo apps. The games already shown on over-the-air TV in your area.

SEC - CBS has the rights to ONE SEC game per week. The 3:30 ET "Best Game From The Best Conference" which is shown live OTA for free. The rest of the SEC games are Disney property and on an ESPN channel, and replayed on ESPN+. And the CBS-SEC contract expires after the 24 season, with the game moving to ABC.

Golf - Note that it did not say "PGA golf". Because the streaming rights to the live events during times when the event is not on a network belong to AT&T. So they probably mean the PGA Championship, and perhaps The Masters, although Augusta National has turned CBS down for extended coverage for decades.

NWSL - Did not know this existed until 5 minutes ago.

UEFA - Yeah. Yet more eurosoccer.

CBS Sports HQ - Currently free on the regular CBS app. This is what SportsCenter used to be before it became all NBA and politics. Its not bad.

--

Why did CBSAA fail?

Because Star Trek failed. The iterations of the franchise produced for CBSAA are simply not any good. Beyond is a combination of feminist angst and poorly dreamed up characters, while Picard is a collection of cameos from a series that ended in 1994, plus other characters from other long ended series with no previously know relationship to the central character, held together only by a mildly disguised preachfest which is already out of date.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Branding. Perhaps they find that people are not seeing "CBS All Access" as being much more than CBS and want to lean on the "bigger" (even if unfamiliar to some) name of Paramount. Paramount isn't a lousy name ... they have been making movies for longer than most people alive have been alive - plus TV shows and other content. The "plus" seems to be a current trend and would cover any non-Paramount content (as in "Paramount content, plus other content"). Any Paramount content they can't show because they assigned rights over to another distributor would cut in to that library.

We are still in the early months of "Peacock". I'm not sure if the "off brand" branding of going with "the peacock network" instead of NBC is working or not. It is too early to tell. But it does convey that the content is more than what one has seen on NBC. And that is a good thing.

NashGuy likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Paramount is much much larger than CBS. CBS is a tv station, paramount is a studio that produces tv and movies. I’m sure that’s why they went that way, to make it seem larger, because, well, it is larger and more encompassing now they they have merged back into one company. Now that’s how the studio sees it, I wonder if you surveyed all the people in the country if they’d see it that way. Paramount as being a larger company with more “stuff”. Especially if you told someone they also own CBS. I’m guessing yes.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Cbsaa didn’t fail. CBS merged with paramount, again, and they want to somehow denote they are going to massively expand the viewing catalogue.

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I find it easy enough to navigate. CBS AllAccess site keeps track of programs that I watch regularly, like Mom and the old Perry Mason shows, and I can easily find others. It's nice to watch Sunday Morning in one hour without commercials. The Perry Mason shows run about 54 minutes (out of 60), which gives you some idea of how commercials have since intruded. Mom takes about 20 minutes (out of 30).

15. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I would also add that IF CBS All Access was hinging upon the success of Star Trek... even if Star Trek was awesome... the numbers they got in the beginning before people had watched much of their first new show, was not the kind of numbers they would need to sustain a streaming service longterm. Even a successful 100% great Star Trek would not by itself bring in enough people. They need a lot more people, and to get that they'd need a lot more compelling content.

16. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    A presence on Roku and Amazon Fire (reportedly a combined 70% of streaming devices) wouldn't hurt, either.

17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    CBSAA is on Amazon. Either the app if you are already subscribed or you can buy the channel directly from Amazon.

18. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    My bad. I was confusing CBS All Access with NBC Peacock which, along with HBO Max, hasn't showed up on Roku or Fire systems since carriage agreements haven't been reached yet.

19. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yes. And also because Paramount+ will be an international service. CBS is very much a US brand while Paramount is (at least somewhat) famous worldwide as a legendary Hollywood studio.

Interestingly, outside the US, Paramount+ will include Showtime content, at least some of it. Here in the US, though, Showtime will remain a separate service. It will be interesting to see how they divide content between the two. I'm specifically wondering if Paramount Pictures' first-run TV/streaming window will be on Showtime (which is where recent theatrical films have normally gone) or if they'll go to Paramount+, or get somehow split between the two. Most logical thing, IMO, would be to put them on Showtime and preserve it as an adult-focused premium home for original content and theatrical films.

Meanwhile, Paramount+ would essentially be their broad catch-all service with something for all ages and tastes -- entertainment, sports, news, kids -- essentially being their streaming successor to broadcast + basic cable. Hence their tagline: "Live Sports. Breaking News. A Mountain of Entertainment."