1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Locals in Tampa Area & My New HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thebarge, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 2, 2007 #1 of 17
    thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    About halfway through recording what I thought was CSI last night I turned to it and all I got was a silver screen saying "DON'T CALL US... We've lost the signal to your locals" etc etc for over an hour. Do I get any other CBS stations? This happen to anyone else in the Tampa area? I know with my old HR10 I always got a "You must subscribe to this channel" or something similar when I tried turning to other CBS channels on the guide.

Anyways - I've been using my HR20 now for about 3 weeks or so after it replaced my HR10. My HR10 is sitting next to it and I haven't turned to it since (except to watch a couple recorded programs it had my HR20 didnt) . I'm VERY surprised that I actually like the HR20 (been a Tivo user for 8 years). The only thing missing is the DLB (obviously).

One complaint I've seen from people is that while watching something recorded you can't stop halfway through and play something else then come right back to where you left off. Doesn't seem to be a problem with mine. If my wife walks in and wants to watch something else, I just hit the CLEAR (or exit?) button twice and it jumps to the other tuner. When I go back to the list and hit play on what I was watching it resumes right where I left off.

2. Nov 2, 2007 #2 of 17
    Teacherman

Teacherman Mentor

Oct 20, 2006
    Yep, it seems to happen to channel 10 every once in awhile. If you have an OTA antenna you should be able to get it as I believe it is a problem with the signal getting to D*. I am in Sebring and can get WINK out or Fr. Meyers OTA, the tower for channel 10 is way too far from me, it is in Holiday, I believe.

3. Nov 2, 2007 #3 of 17
    thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Yeah - the problem (i think) is the CBS tower is in the complete opposite direction of ALL the other towers and broadcasts with uhh, VHF I think. I have a directional UHF antenna (channel master) so getting channel 10 is a real pain.

That's really the main reason why I upgraded to the HR20 is so I can get reliable locals. So no other CBS stations are available to me via satellite? If it generally only happens with channel 10 I could always just swing the antenna around to aim directly at the CBS tower instead of the other towers and hope for the best.

Oh, and as an addition to my above thoughts of the HR20, my wife actually said the other night she likes how easy the HR20 is to use. So a plus from the wife came as a real surprise since the only other DVR she's used to is Tivo. You have no idea how much she complained when I said we were getting rid of the HR10 and it's Tivo interface for the HR20.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #4 of 17
    BkwSoft

BkwSoft Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    Is Ch10 the only VHF ATSC channel in your area? If it is you could add a directional VHF antena and combine it with your UHF with a rather inexpesive UHF/VHF combiner.

If you have more than one VHF station in the area however this could cause more problems as there are some ATSC tuners that don't handle multipath (ghosted) signels well.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #5 of 17
    thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Nope, it's only the one channel that's still VHF. Any suggestions on where I can pick up a cheap VHF antenna and combiner (radio shack maybe?)? The tower is only 7.8 miles from my house, it's just in the opposite direction of all the other towers. The tower broadcasting channel 10 (VHF) is at 357 degrees and everything else is around 122-124 degrees (all UHF).

6. Nov 2, 2007 #6 of 17
    BkwSoft

BkwSoft Legend

Oct 18, 2007
    Radio Shack, Lowes, or HD all would be good places to check. I know RS has a combiner/spliter that has all "F" connectors whereas HD or Lowes would probably have the vareity with 300 ohm connections on it. Just make sure it is a VHF/UHF spliter/combiner and not just a two way splitter.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 17
    GlennDio

GlennDio Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Castle...
    I use an OTA Antenna and am in New Tampa and have no trouble getting the signal but only use on e small one and I would need 2 to get all channels well ... I always record off of the D* locals since it takes less space up and have yet to lose any of a CBS program (I record a lot of them ) for this ... one time glitch don't stress about it...

8. Nov 2, 2007 #8 of 17
    thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Oh really? I'm starting to stress a bit about it now because I just got home from work and 10 is STILL getting the same message. How the h*?# does a feed stay down for this long? Turns out the installer guy never went through the setup for the antenna - he just plugged it in and left. I'll give it a try when the HR20 is done recording.

EDIT: Just called D* (even though the message says no need to call) and they basically don't know whats going on but are "aware of the problem" and it affects the whole Tampa Bay and St Petersburg area. It should be back up in a matter of hours or DAYS (yes thats what they said).

9. Nov 2, 2007 #9 of 17
    bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005

Actually CBS in Tampa/St. Pete (channel 10) digital is on UHF channel 24. (Our digital channels that are transmitting on VHF are NBC--7 and Fox--12.)

I use a jointenna to combine the antenna pointed that way with the one pointed to Riverview for the rest of 'em. Unfortunately a jointenna is not something you can pick up locally AFAIK (I ordered mine from Warren Electronics on the web).

10. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, it is very rare, a few times per year (here in Tampa) -- though when it does happen it always seems to be CBS. And yes, it is still out via DirecTV, though it is fine OTA (so the channel itself is fine, it's a problem on DirecTV's end with receiving/re-transmitting it).

11. thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Uhhh... according to antennaweb and D* there is no channel 24 broadcast in the Tampa area. Fox is also channel 13 and NBC is 8. Antennaweb shows CBS channel 10 as a VHF channel. However, after playing with my antenna and setting up the HR20 to get OTA it looks like I can get CBS again in HD with a decent signal. Guess I'll find out tonight during Ghost Whisperer.

I'll check it out and buy it online if available. Thanks for the info.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV can only offer you the one set of channels via satellite. The rest is up to you to grab OTA.

13. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006

Channel 10 simulcasts its digital version on UHF frequency 24.

14. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    You need to look more closely at anntenaweb for the digital assignments. CBS is definitely UHF 24, NBC is 7, and FOX is 12. The HR20 remaps them for you, of course, to the "normal" channel numbers.

15. bwaldron

Oct 24, 2005
    Yep, that's why I get it with my channel 24 jointenna ;)

Like your avatar -- nice to see Pat Patriot again!

16. thebarge

thebarge AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Ahhhh - not sure what it remapped UHF 24 to, but whatever it did, Ghost Whisperer was skipping so badly I had to revert to recording it in SD :( If it's broadcasting the UHF channel from the 357 degree tower that's probably my problem since I'm still pointed at around 122 degrees.

EDIT: D* fixed the feed about halfway through Ghost Whisperer. Everything seems to be back in order.

17. flmilkfarmer

flmilkfarmer Legend

Nov 14, 2004
    When I was on Dish and had to get a waiver so that I could get the National CBS in HD I had to send the request to WINK who at the time was not in HD. They granted the waiver and Dish turned me on until last December when the law changed. Comcast the local cable provider in Sebring also caries WINK and I pick up WINK much better then WTSP with my OTA antenna so I don't understand why both Dish and D* have WTSP for our area. I much prefer WINK over WTSP but my new HR21 does not have the OTA tuner built in. I have my local dealer getting me a 2nd. receiver and it will be the HR20 so that I have the option of OTA. Even in a heavy rain when satellite goes out most times you can still get something OTA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.