CBS May Expand NFL HD In 2007

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Blitz68, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1 of 38
    Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    To read the rest; See TVPredictions.com

Mod Edit Remainder of story removed to protect source's copyright's

2. Dec 1, 2006 #2 of 38
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Yes, please do CBS. I can cut you slack due to the fact that you were first and the infrastructure you set up at that time only allowed for 3 games a week, but now that FOX has doubled that it's time for you to move as well. The NFL should contribute financially to speed up the process since they can well afford it.

3. Dec 1, 2006 #3 of 38
    cookpr

cookpr Godfather

Aug 24, 2006
    CBS needs to at least be doign 6 in HD per week...no excuses for one of their most expensive products (NFL)

4. Dec 1, 2006 #4 of 38
    cbearnm

cbearnm Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    No excuses for not covering all NFL games in HD.
    I know there are only so many HD trucks out there, but there has to be enough to cover 16 events per week over a period of 17 weeks.
    The NFL should be able to pay for their own trucks. Expensed over 3 or 5 years, it's very easy to justify the cost. Considering that the media deals generate over a billion dollars per year, it's just crazy to broadcast ANY NFL game in SD.

5. Dec 1, 2006 #5 of 38
    Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    I did not watch the Eagles - Tennessee game on 11/19 on SD CBS. Have not
    missed a regular season game for a few years. Listened on radio 94.1, did things
    around the house and ran errands in the car. Will not watch the CBS SD broadcasts.

6. Dec 1, 2006 #6 of 38
    jimbo09

jimbo09 Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    "Our goal is to add more games each year".

By the sound of that, I wouldn't look for all games next year in HD either.

7. Dec 1, 2006 #7 of 38
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    This story was bounced around a few weeks ago. Seemed they were talking adding one game per weekend per year.

8. Dec 1, 2006 #8 of 38
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I can't believe their (NFL and CBS') HD sponsors (Samsung & Sony respectively) aren't putting more heat on them to do all the games in HD each weekend. Think about it, someone watching sees the Sony HD commercial and goes up to the store only to see a very poor picture of the game on that same Sony TV, why bother spending the money??

9. Dec 1, 2006 #9 of 38
    JAB

JAB Mentor

Nov 10, 2006
    I think the NFL should put some pressure on the networks and mandate HD. CBS has the most pitiful coverage of them all. Every wonder why the replays are sooo much better on ESPN. NBC and FOX? You can actually tell whether a play should be overturned or not. With CBS it's a crap shoot whether or not they got the shot to begin with.

10. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006
    I am so happy that my lowly Packers are on Fox unless playing the AFC, they have all been in HD so far.
    They really need to increase their HD coverage, I had no idea that only 3 games a week were in HD, I feel sorry for those whose teams have to be on CBS.

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As I understand parts of the world these days, I gather one of the major problems is CBS bandwidth for moving HD around the country. Fox was very lucky/fortunate/frustrating in their delay of supporting HD at the network level. By doing so, they were able to utilize encoders that keep the signal compressed at the network level rather than compressing that the local station level only. Therefore, they were able to cover more games in HD without jumping their sat. costs thru the roof.

Cheers,
    Tom

12. kirthew

kirthew Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    I hate having only 3 games available a week from CBS... This week we have the Chiefs vs Browns in HD... when you have two teams trying to get into the playoff picture in the Dolphins vs Jaguars... I have to applaud FOX for their total HD coverage...

13. bamahd

bamahd Cool Member

Nov 30, 2006
    NFL HD did not air its Thursday night, Nov. 30, 2006 NFL game in HD, so I didn't watch it. And they call themselves NFL HD. What a waste of a network.

14. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, bamahd. :welcome_s

I watched the game in HD on Directv channel 95. Been lots of question as to how the HR20 would handle the feed this week. (Problems seemed to occur from last weeks game.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. pgtogo84bsxy

pgtogo84bsxy Mentor

Aug 29, 2006
    Yes, they did. On DirecTV, it isn't on the main channel 212, but on one of the special events channels.......95 or 96 in your area. I think they will have most, if not all games on the NFL Network in HD, although there's only a few more weeks to the regular season. I watched the game in HD that night.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The NFL is not in a position to mandate HD coverage. Think about it.

Who (what network) could possibly outbid CBS, as an example, and be able to carry all the games in HD the next time it is up for bids?

FOX, ABC, NBC, ESPN are already taxed with current equipment so even IF they could outbid and get CBS's package of games they wouldn't be able to cover those in HD without significant new money spent either.

The only network I can think of that might have a shot is TNT, but they already cover lots of NBA games in HD once that season starts so I don't know if they would be in a position to buy/have enough equipment to do it either.

Bottom line... is that if CBS can't spend the money to do it yet (or doesn't want to) no one else is able to spend that kind of money to do more either... so we might as well, reluctantly, wait until they increase the coverage.

17. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    Wasn't this one of the main reasons that they lost the NFL LAST time?! One of course, was that they underbid FOX. But a big reason was that the NFL thought that the "upstart" FOX (at that time) would be more innovative (which they have been) and bring a younger audience to the NFL.

FOX is doing almost all (all?) games in HD. I happen to be a rabid Redskins fan, so I rarely have to put up with the miserable broadcasts of CBS (thank God!). CBS needs to get with the program!! It's not like they can't afford to buy the necessary equipment to do most if not all of their broadcasts in HD! The NFL brings to them some of their largest audiences of the week, and the opportunities to promote the rest of their programming should help pay for that equipment. They are just being cheap *******s!

Another thing .. like I said, I rarely have to watch their NFL broadcasts .. why is it that the NFL announcer teams on CBS are the most boring people in television? Jim Nantz should only be doing golf .. or funeral coverage. He HAS to be THE most boring sports announcer there is. Then you have Dan Dierdorf who, for all of his time as a player in the NFL, seems to know very little about the game! I find CBS games a good time to take a nap since the announcers are so boring, only to wake up so often to see what the score is.

18. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006

NBC does ONE game per week. I'm certain that they would LOVE to get Sunday afternoon games back as well! CBS had better watch themselves, because they COULD find themselves losing the NFL AGAIN!

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    NBC doesn't have the necessary equipment to do all the games if they had 6+ games to do in HD every week either.

Which is back to my question... who else could do it right now if the contract was up for bids and the NFL tried to force it?

Answer is probably no channel could do more right now either. Not saying I don't want more, because I do... but people still balk at buying an expensive HDTV and balk over paying Dish $199 for their HD receiver DVR... so why do those same people expect CBS to spend hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) to get all this camera/broadcast equipment tomorrow?

20. saweetnesstrev

saweetnesstrev Godfather

Oct 8, 2005
    We are stuck in the stone age. :(