CBS O&O takedown - Channels Restored

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cj9788, Nov 20, 2017.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I searched but could not find a thread. CBS is running a crawl that takedown is likely to happen. Does anyone have info on this? I called Dish and WFOR in Miami but neither will say when the contract expires......

*mistake in thread title should be CBS O&O takedown....

2. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Here is an article about CBS complaining they can't get a "fair deal".

I think that unless CBS includes its CBS All Access streaming channel in with the rest of its retransmission deal, they should be offering just the nominal retransmission of network material at a lower rate than in previous years. I've no idea what they are trying to negotiate right now.

crodrules likes this.
  3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Attention Customers!
    will this help?
    I called DISH and said drop CBS I can get it from 2 DMAs and really won't miss much of their programming.

Michael P likes this.
  4. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    BTW: Someone needs to change the title of this thread to CBS instead of CBC.

I saw the crawl on WJZ in Baltimore and they have a banner on their website directing people to keepcbsondish.com. Same BS. If you are in one of the affected markets, call your local station and complain that they are charging Dish too much for their programming that is available for free OTA.

I don't care because I get it OTA from two markets and don't subscribe to locals. Look into seeing if you can get an OTA antenna that can pull in your locals. That way, the local channels (and in turn the networks) don't get any of your money.

5. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    The blackout in certain markets started today. Dish is offering OTA antennas to those who are affected. The Hollywood Reporter has an article about stations going dark on Dish.

A statement by Dish in the article

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Take advantage of the free 30 day trial of Hulu, if you can't get OTA. Don't do the free trial of the greedy CBS streaming. Greedy CBS was already blocking cable and satellite from some new programming, the new Star Trek for example (available on Hulu).

7. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Yep, I was watching the CBS news in Sacramento and at 11PM last night it went dark. Fortunately I was able to switch over to my OTA. Not sure whether the guide would last so went ahead and scheduled OTA recordings for the next 10 days. For some, the CBS takedown might cause some football anxiety with the Cowboys/Chargers game on Thanksgiving. Those of us who have decided not to watch NFL won't be affected. No political and no football talk for us this Thanksgiving. YMMV

8. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Only way to watch or steam ER is on Pop. Odd since ER is an NBC program, and Pop is dropped by CBS. Pissed wife since she was up to season 11.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Press release from this morning :::

CBS Corporation Blacks Out DISH Subscribers; DISH Offers Over-the-Air Antennas at No Cost to Affected Customers

* Eligible DISH customers can choose to drop cost of local channels, savings of $10 per month
    * DISH offers qualified affected customers digital over-the-air (OTA) antenna and installation at no cost, thousands have switched
    * CBS rejects DISH offer to extend contract for benefit of consumers while negotiations continue
    * Broadcaster fees will rise to $12.8 billion by 2023, up almost 40 percent from today, estimates SNL Kagan

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Tonight DISH reported that CBS Corporation chose to black out DISH customers' access to 28 local channels in 18 markets across 26 states (view full list here). CBS is blocking consumers in an effort to raise carriage rates for local channels and gain negotiating leverage for unrelated cable channels, all with declining viewership on DISH.

"CBS is attempting to tax DISH customers on programming that's losing viewers, tax DISH customers on programming available for free over the air, and tax DISH customers for content available directly from CBS," said Warren Schlichting, DISH executive vice president of Marketing, Programming and Media Sales. "Our customers are clear: they don't want to pay a CBS tax. It's regrettable and unnecessary that CBS is bringing its greed into the homes of millions of families this Thanksgiving."

On a recent investor conference call, CBS boasted about the rate increases promised to shareholders, going from $250 million in 2012 to a forecasted $2.5 billion by 2020. Those desired increases come as DISH customers are watching less CBS, with average viewership down 20 percent over the past 3 years.

As DISH works to reach an agreement, the company is offering digital over-the-air (OTA) antennas at no cost so that customers in affected markets can watch CBS's local broadcast channels for free. Eligible DISH customers have the option to completely drop their local channels from their programming package, saving $10 on their monthly bill.

Free Antenna Installation, Seamless Integration
    In recent weeks, thousands of eligible DISH customers in CBS markets have made the switch to OTA, accessing news, popular network shows and sports from CBS and other local channels for free, over the air. Customers with qualifying equipment, programming, and location can choose to receive local channels free over the air and save $10 per month on their bill. At no cost, DISH will install an antenna for qualifying customers in CBS markets based on the reception available at their home.

"Switching to OTA-delivered locals can unlock $120 savings annually for DISH customers," explained Schlichting. "Customers will see the local channels and show information for the most popular channels in the guide on the Hopper DVR, and can watch and record local channels using their DISH remote without switching inputs on the TV. We want to help customers with the choice to save money. DISH doesn't save money, but consumers can."

Local station availability over the air is dependent on geographic location and topography. Consequently, some customer locations may not qualify for an antenna installation.

Streaming Availability and Forced Bundling at Issue
    "On top of free availability with an antenna, the fact that CBS makes its content available a la carte on a streaming app has further eroded the value of its content for DISH and our customers," added Schlichting.

In addition to asking for significant price increases for local channels, CBS is attempting to "force bundle" unrelated and low-performing cable channels (CBS Sports Network, Pop and Smithsonian Channel) at a premium.

"By attempting to force bundle its cable channels with its local broadcast stations, CBS is using local viewers as leverage to raise rates for channels fewer people are watching," said Schlichting.

DISH viewership data reveals that on CBS Sports Network, Pop and Smithsonian Channel, average viewership is down more than 10 percent in the past 3 years.

DISH Offer of Extension, True Up Rejected
    DISH and CBS had been making steady progress in their recent negotiations, and DISH was hopeful that they would come to a mutual agreement to renew carriage of its local stations. In that spirit, DISH offered a short-term contract extension to CBS that would include a retroactive true-up when new rates were agreed upon, and would preserve the ability of DISH customers to access the CBS stations while negotiations continued. The true-up would ensure that CBS was made whole at the new rates for the period of any contract extension.

"With DISH willing to grant an extension and a retroactive true-up on rates, CBS had nothing to lose and consumers had everything to gain by leaving its channels up," said Schlichting. "Instead, CBS chose to turn its back on its public interest obligations to serve viewers."

"We are actively working to negotiate an agreement that promptly returns this content to DISH's programming lineup," added Schlichting.

Need for Retransmission Consent Reform
    "CBS is using its mix of local and national channels against viewers, abusing outdated laws to try to force consumers to pay more. This greedy attempt to extort more money from our customers is one of the main reasons we - and our industry - are asking Congress to restore balance in the broadcaster-pay TV equation," said Jeff Blum, DISH senior vice president and deputy general counsel. "We are asking lawmakers to reform outdated TV laws to give our customers the best viewing experience at an affordable price - without the threat of broadcaster blackouts."

Along with other pay-TV companies and public interest groups that form the American Television Alliance, DISH has called for the U.S. Congress to revamp the out-of-date laws that favor these high fees and unnecessary blackouts.

Blum continued: "We continue to urge the FCC and Congress to update a system that emboldens broadcasters to black out consumers."

Rising Retransmission Rates
    Each year, the cost to carry local broadcast stations rises far beyond the rate of inflation, leading to blackouts across the country that affect millions of subscribers of various pay-TV companies. According to SNL Kagan, a leading source on the media industry, broadcast fees burdening pay-TV consumers are expected to reach an unprecedented $9.3 billion in 2017. These same rates, for channels available free over the air, were as low as $215 million in 2006, soared to $7.9 billion in 2016 and are expected to reach $12.8 billion in 2023.

DISH customers can visit DISHPromise.com for more information and to ask the FCC and Congress to end TV blackouts.

10. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    I think the new Star Trek is on CBS All Access. I don't see it on Hulu.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Yawn. Yet another dispute between (insert major programming provider here) and (insert station ownership group here) in which the subscriber is the one who ends up paying. The CBS tax is a new tactic, otherwise, I'm hearing the same, recycled arguments.

crodrules likes this.
  12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    While I am always against the broadcaster asking for more money, dishes statement using the word tax a bunch of times is despicable in my book. It’s not a tax. It’s a rate hike. I hate when people and companies just use keywords in an effort to stir the pot just to make people mad.

13. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Directv needs to follow Dish's lead on OTA support. Directv removed it and Dish promotes it. And provides it for free. Very nice.

crodrules and RAD like this.
  14. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Is there a link somewhere to see if you qualify for this free antenna, and what type it is? Like a cheap indoor flat piece of plastic, or something that mounts outdoors on the dish? I get no reception at all with the flat plastic ones.

6P - AVR5810 - EF9500 - Dish - Xbox1S

15. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Call DISH and ask if you qualify, I didn't. If you qualify they offer both indoor and outdoor.

tcatdbs likes this.
  16. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I suggested Hulu for broadcast program streaming. Star Trek was an example of greed in offering programming paid for separately while we are already paying for CBS through Dish. They want us to pay for CBS twice to see that show. Someone earlier said that star Trek is available on Hulu's expensive live TV option.

neilo likes this.
  17. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    GO DISH! CBS has gotten ridiculously greedy. We only missed it last night when Stephen Cobert wasn't on. As far as regular programming goes, CBS already decided to put some of their best programming online only and make us pay extra. We decided to pass on that too. I'm fine with a modest fee for OTA programming, which I can't get without an antenna on a very tall tower, but I don't want to be ripped off.

crodrules likes this.
  18. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

The word tax is a term non DBS geeks can understand. Most people know nothing about how the whole pay tv industry works. All they know is I turn on my box I watch tv. If they hit those people with even the simplest explanation of the contract process a lot of those folks will not get it. I know the why, I understand the why but I am sure the normal E* customer is really clueless......

19. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    I'd like to see a package that eliminates the local channels and simply goes OTA, to help eliminate this.

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS

Look into the Flex Pack and Channel Packs then. The basic Flex Pack does not have locals nor ESPN (and other sports programming), although they are available as Channel Packs. I'm using this right now. You should be able to see some information on this in your Guide on channel 9605 and 9606.

Sorry - I assumed you were on Dish. I don't know if DIrectTV offers something similar.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017