CBS orders Super Girl

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpeters11, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I do like women superheros. Think it is their outfits. I still have dreams of Wonder Women

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Every Comic is going to get its time in the sun with the new globally marketed Hollywood.
    No stone man or torch boy will be unturned.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, but I must admit Gotham looks really good. But it doesn't have Batman.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Aquaman would be a toiugh sell. They had enough trouble trying to develop plausible Justice League of America plots that required someone to make an entire school of fish jump out of the water at the same time.

In fact, given that Superman was, well, Superman, he probably could have come up with some way to accomplish the mission by himself if he had to.

5. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Isn't Gotham, going to be about a very young Bruce Wayne?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    He's in it, though I think it's more about Gordon. But a young Bruce Wayne isn't Batman. This is before all that, it's him growing up after his parents death as well as origins of the villains.

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Sounds cool, and NetFlix also thinks so, they've put quite a bit of money down to have the streaming rights. I series passed it 2 days ago, looking forward to it

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    CBS owns The CW too, don't they? Or have some sort of relationship? Which could mean the show ends up on The CW.

9. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I vote for Beth Riesgraf in the title role. She would make a wonderfully-quirky Supergirl, because she is already a wonderfully-quirky super girl. Tall, blonde, hot, athletic, smart, funny, charismatic, and exceptionally interesting, and could still pass for 23 because she has that sort of young energy. Exactly how I would imagine Supergirl if I were the show-runner. I would record and archive every episode.

OK, then make her SG's older sister; just put her in the show!

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    CW is a 50/50 split with Warner Brothers and CBS. Also, at the time of the 1984 movie, CBS was part of the joint venture of the distributor, Tri-Star Pictures.

11. Red Orc

Red Orc Legend

Oct 11, 2011
  12. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Origin stories are getting popular, so why not Supergirl?

Smallville helped keep the CW/WB afloat for what, 11 years? It was also a pretty great show and still runs strong on TNT. It also had the best movie-quality SFX of the day. I actually still have some on a DVR that I am trying to get to. But Gotham is probably going to be the real successful origin story.

Now Supergirl, the movie? Big flop 30 years ago, even as adorable as Helen Slater was at the time (might have torpedoed her career), but then so was Superman IV which I think might have been written by a room full of chimps chained to typewriters.

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    When does SuperDog get a go?

14. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    You could be onto something big!

[​IMG]

15. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    And now that we have the trailer...

This looks amazing. It is the best trailer I have seen so far, and we will have to see if that translates into it being a good show. But it looks like its going to kill. They definitely have a lot of the tone just right, although they may have some of the tone just wrong. But it hooked me, and makes me want to see it. I also predict that I will probably want to watch every episode live; this is the fall 2015 show that I am most anticipating. If I am wrong, this will be as big a disappointment as is possible. Don't eff this up, CBS. Attempting to skew younger is a good thing, and it appears that this is a good start.

And it also does not hurt their chances in any way that they may have cast the most adorable person on earth (or Krypton) in the lead role.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    "Supergirl" has become a money issue for CBS' Les Moonves. Last March he did mumble about renewing all shows, but in fact the network has not yet renewed freshman shows "Supergirl", "Limitless", "Code Black", "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" and "Rush Hour". We probably will not know about any of these shows until right before the CBS "upfront" Wednesday, May 18. Deadline Hollywood in Supergirl’ Eyes Move To Vancouver To Reduce Costs As Season 2 Stays In Limbo explains some of the financial issues:

17. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Supergirl has at least two problems.

One is that superheroes and supervillians locked in mortal combat is pretty boring. We know how it ends. I think the creators of Superman new this immediately back in the forties, and had to come up with Kryptonite to create a little actual drama. We still knew how that would end. Same reason kung-fu movies are boring. The fight scenes were the only part of BuffyTVS that I had to fast-forward through, although Buffy going "Ooh! Oof!" and grunting was still pretty adorable. And Supergirl getting her butt kicked as much as she is seems lame. C'mon, she's super. I guess they have to drag the segments out long enough to justify breaking them up to shove the commercials in. Somehow, in this show, I actually look forward to the commercials.

The other problem is that Berlanti and Kreisberg have sort of wrung out every possible hand-to-hand combat hook on their other seventeen superhero shows, so we're bored by now. Even Arrow is pretty long in the tooth. They are spread way too thin. More than two shows in production dilutes the quality. Think Law and Order or any other Dick Wolf franchise. CSI.

I also think 'Cat' is a little too camp, which is also boring. About as one-dimensional as you can get. A flat page in a Supergirl comic book has more depth.

And why does a superhero show in 2016 have worse SFX than a superhero show from 20 years ago? Smallville killed in the SFX department when Berlanti was still in high school. Those flying scenes are just lame; you can't see the wires, but you sure know they're there, because they haven't ever figured how to make the ballistics of movement believable. Mary Martin as Peter Pan live in 1952 did a better job with flying.

I'm as tolerant and openminded about sexual or racial equality as anyone, yet even I am getting tired of Berlanti shoe-horning that into every script. I am not going to totally bash them; The Flash was the best comic book show ever, at least in season one. Those guys really stepped up. But not everything they touch turns to gold. Sometimes it turns to something else.

Sci-fi or a comic book milieu should be a setting. The springboard for drama and people that is interesting. It should create a basis for a wonderful story (like The Flash). It shouldn't be just window dressing with nothing else going for it. And she's cute, but not that cute.

Yes, the trailer made me optimistic, but the show just makes me sad and disgusted.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don't all movies have that same "problem?" The one where the good guy is ultimately going to win? Outside of real-life dramas... fictional dramas almost always end with the hero prevailing... that's the trope. In a comedy, someone is going to say something funny, and someone else is going to laugh... is that predictable? In a medical drama, someone is going to have a medical problem... the doctor will need to solve it... either the doctor will solve it and have a happy ending or the patient will die. If you're boiling everything down to 1s and 0s... pretty much everything is predictable on some level... so do we need TV or books at all? :)

3 people like this.
  19. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I can't argue with your painfully obvious points. They don't even need to be said.

But as long as we are trying to be obvious now, maybe I didn't make MY point, which is that drama should be interesting.

Here's an example. In an episode of the legendary Firefly, Mal has a sword fight. But it's not just 'Klank Klank' and jumping up and down from tables with one hand on his hip like he's Zorro or something. There are at least two, maybe three, significant, shocking, unexpected, but still realistic turns of fate in that 3-minute sword fight. At one point there is no possible way he can prevail, even though we know he will. It is the best dramatic rendition of a sword fight since the movie 'Rob Roy'. Drama that good is rarely equalled.

So the point is, make it clever. Make it interesting. Nearly everything SG, or The Flash does battling idiots with 'cold guns', is really pretty boring. Not interesting, not clever. Superhero shows are like Westerns in 1964. There's a glut of them, and a paucity of decent writing left for them. Expect SH shows to peak, and then disappear in a few years, just like Westerns did.

And the reason is that there are not enough clever writers and even the clever ones don't have enough clever ideas. At least not enough to fill all of the glut of 'too much television' that Jon Landgraf talks about. Berlanti and Kriesberg are indeed very clever. But they shot their wad, and apparently ran out of clever ideas about a hundred episodes ago, at least for the climactic face-off scenes. They need to evolve, so that we as viewers can, too.