CBS stations pulled from Dish Network in contract dispute (for less than 12 hours)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bgullicksen, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 5, 2014 #1 of 122
    bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I just lost CBS....anyone else? When does Showtime go?

2. Dec 5, 2014 #2 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Updated:

http://keepcbs.com/

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why does DISH no Longer Have CBS Programming?

A: Unfortunately, DISH was unwilling to work towards an agreement that kept CBS stations available to its subscribers. It seems to be a situation they put consumers in often based on the over 120 broadcast stations that this has happened to since 2013.

Q: DISH told me that my bill will go up if they accepted your terms?

A: Any rate increase DISH chooses to implement is entirely up to DISH.

Q: How much should DISH be crediting me for the loss of CBS?

A: While you are already paying for CBS as part of your package, the amount of any credit is up to DISH.

Q: How can I get CBS back?

A: Call 1-855-5-KEEP US to be connected to DISH and ask them to get CBS back on their channel line-up. After all, you are already paying for CBS. If DISH refuses your request, you have other alternatives. Visit KeepCBS.com to view your options.

Q: When will CBS be back on DISH?

A: Only DISH can answer that question but we have seen them stay dark with other programmers for months. CBS will continue to work towards a fair agreement. We have only been dark once in our history while DISH has been in disagreements numerous times so this territory is still new to us.

Q: Why have they also taken down Showtime?

A: Showtime is owned by CBS and so DISH dropped both channels. You do have options. Visit www.KeepSHO.com.

3. Dec 5, 2014 #3 of 122
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    What station did you lose? Are they owned by Nexstar?

4. Dec 5, 2014 #4 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    He lost CBS - Nexstar is Midnight.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #5 of 122
    bgullicksen

bgullicksen Legend

Oct 1, 2006
    I don't think they are owned by Nexstar. I lost WBZ and WSBK in Boston.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #6 of 122
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thought it could have been coincidence. I see now that CBS has pulled the plug.

7. Dec 5, 2014 #7 of 122
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep as of 4 pm Pacific Time according to the LA Times.

8. Dec 5, 2014 #8 of 122
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    KCNC, Denver, shows a slate indicating:

Sorry for the interruption of service.
    There is no need to call us.

We are aware that this TV station
    is temporarily unavailable and
    we will have the channel back
    as quickly as possible.

Looks like it went around 5 PM MST.

I'm glad I have the OTA set up; works great.

9. Dec 5, 2014 #9 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/cbs-takes-programming-dish-network/136168

CBS Takes Programming Off Dish Network Blackout comes after numerous extensions12/05/2014 07:19:00 PM Eastern

[​IMG]
    By: Jon Lafayette
    Follow @jlafayette

[​IMG]
    CBS' 'NCIS'

CBS said it has taken its programming off Dish Network effective at 7 p.m. ET.

“CBS has been negotiating a carriage agreement with Dish for six months and has already granted two extensions,” CBS said in a statement. “During this time, Dish has dragged its feet at our many attempts to negotiate in good faith. Behavior like this is why Dish has a long history of depriving customers of the programing they have paid for.

CBS says it is seeking “appropriate compensation for the most-watched television network with the most popular content in the world, as well as terms that reflect the developing digital marketplace.”

“We hope that we can reach an agreement very soon so we can all get back to the business of providing the best entertainment, news and sports to the Dish customers we both serve,” CBS said.

10. Dec 5, 2014 #10 of 122
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I am waiting for Sunday, when angry Denver based Bronco fans start jamming CBS and DISH phone lines. Then again, there are some Missouri and Alabama fans may not too happy tomorrow, either.

"Appropriate compensation" for programming that runs 18 minutes per hour of commercials.

11. Dec 5, 2014 #11 of 122
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I'm writing this, "Judge Judy" is streaming live from KPIX 5 (the CBS O&O Bay Area station not available through Dish) through my free first month of CBS All Access. And KBCW 44, The CW affiliate owned and operated by CBS, is also not available through Dish. Ironically, The CW shows can be streamed at The CW's website which is what their target audience for the most part already does.

So even though I don't have OTA, I have the equivalent of live OTA and show streaming on demand from CBS and streaming from The CW.

I know this doesn't solve the problem for sport fans, but then again they don't pay for my CBS-owned Showtime programming. I know that sooner or later those fans will stick me with the cost of sports on CBS.

12. Dec 5, 2014 #12 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Considering it is a home game, it could have been much worse.

13. Dec 5, 2014 #13 of 122
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Athletic supporters need to get snapped back to reality sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dec 5, 2014 #14 of 122
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Antenna time if you can. No Antenna service in my area however but I do have Directv :up:

15. Dec 5, 2014 #15 of 122
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    You have the analogy wrong. You used to be able to buy a double cheesburger for 99 cents, now it costs 50% more. This is because McDonalds had to re-negotiate with their "beef" supplier who wanted more money for their "beef". A new deal was made, and McDonalds has no choice but to forward the higher price of the "beef" on to the customer. McDonalds and their supplier are both to blame. The supplier for wanting more money for the "beef", and McDonalds for not negotiating a lower price.

And during the negotiations, they technically could have put up a sign: "Sorry, hamburgers with "beef" are temporary unavailable due to a dispute with the supplier", and offer specials on their "chicken" and "fish" products.

In the end, the consumer gets shafted. You still want the same double cheeseburger, but now you have to pay a $1.50 fee to get one, instead of the 99 cents.

Regarding Comcast Sportsnet: The Houston version of Comcast Sportsnet went bankrupt because they weren't able to secure a deal. And Comcast is partly to blame for that because they banked on expensive sports broadcast rights for the Astros and Rockets (And Dynamo, but they are cheap ;) ) They have since relaunched as Roots Sportsnet in November 2014 and were bought by DirecTV and AT&T.

The same is happening in Los Angeles. The Dodgers launched their own network in 2013, and broadcasted the 2014 MLB season of the Dodgers, but only the channel owner - Time Warner Cable - carries the channel. No one is willing to pay the $4 a month they want, and Time Warner Cable is starting to feel the financial pain. DirecTV may now just be waiting till they can do the same and scoop up a bankrupt channel (and its broadcast rights) for a lot less money TWC originally paid for them, and TWC taking a big fat loss like Comcast did in Houston.

Other sports broadcasters really need to learn from the failures of buying BIG sports broadcast rights, and then simply being unable to sell them without taking a bath. We have reached the pricepoint of absurdity in sports programming, and customers are starting to notice.

You don't want to go to McDonalds and find out that due to a different supplier, your "Dodgers Burger" no longer costs $2.49 but costs $4. That is going to piss you off, and it is pissing off people.

16. Dec 5, 2014 #16 of 122
    maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    The advertisers that paid good money for those 42 minutes of commercials per hour are going to be a lot more pissed off then the fans. The fans can - after all - either go to a friend that has a different provider, head over to a sports bar, hook up an antenna for OTA, or switch provider before the game. They have a LOT of options to still see the game..... The advertisers on the other hand.... are out a lot of money they paid for adverts promised to be shown to a potential of 14 million customers, and they are really going to want their money back from Dish.

17. Dec 5, 2014 #17 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    You really contradict yourself.

1) You say the advertisers are out of money because now people will not see it.

2) Then you say people will see it as the go to friends, bars or hook up an antenna.

You cannot have it both ways.

But regardless, you are wrong as you do not understand how TV Advertising works. Suggest you read post #154 again. Advertisers will get at least the minimum guaranteed by their schedule.

18. Dec 5, 2014 #18 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    Actually you are off base even more. This dispute lands squarely on Dish. No 50/50. No 80 Dish / 20 CBS. 100 Dish / 0 CBS.

CBS has the highest ratings of any Network. Period. End of Story.

35% of MVPD viewing is the Local Stations.

The local stations should get 35% of the Programming Revenue. But they are not asking for that.

CBS wants $2 per sub.

Dish says no (for reasons I will get to later). Dish should refuse to pay MTV9 or GAC or H2 or whatever and move that money to pay CBS (and the other Network Stations).

Dish made the decision to not do that.

If Dish had done that, CBS would still be on the air - and your bill would not go up 1 cent.

Again, 100% in Dish's hand.

But the real reason your CBS is off (as Dish will eventually pay the $2 per sub) is that Charlie wants CBS as part of his soon to be launched OTT Virtual Cable Network.

CBS says no. Negotiate for what is on the table now.

So YOU have no CBS because YOU are paying the price for Charlie wanting CBS for his OTT Internet Subscription Service.

19. Dec 5, 2014 #19 of 122
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
  20. Dec 5, 2014 #20 of 122
    SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    As i said, the O&O fee would be paid. It is about Charlie's Virtual OTT Service he wants to kick off before the end of the year at a $30 price.

And as I said, Satellite Subs are paying the price of no CBS because of it.

Charlie is NOT fighting to hold your price down, lol. He is using you as a pawn for a new venture.

You are officially his Hostage!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.