1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

{CE:21:04} Discussion Thread (MRV Performance)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Networking (private)' started by Movieman, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I think we need to start a thread so that the issues and discussions can be distinguished between the CE cycles. It will help with the final First Look, FAQ's, and how to.

I posted in the other thread but will report here. Getting great playback on HD and SD from HR23 to H23 but when I try to FF or 30 sec skip it gives me unable to access media error. Also loose the network connection if I turn off the H23 which is on firmware x42EE. All this has been posted in the issues thread.

2. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Seems like nothing much changed here. Still good performance like last week. I haven't been getting any errors like others have reported previously.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Slight hijack, as this is not an MRV issue, but I had to configure my bridge using WiFi Protected Setup since the input field still doesn't accept passphrases longer than 26 characters, but now my HR20-100 will not see my Vista HTPC media servier (Intel ViiV), and my Vista HTPC is set for media sharing to the HR20-100. One week I remember the bridge popping up as a new device on the PC and I was asked if I wanted to share to the "bridge", but this week, I can't even see the bridge at all ... I will report this as an issue, but it could be related to the bridge and WiFi Protected Setup, not the software, or it could be a combination.

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Not a hijack at all. My wife was playing back something on the DVR and I was watching a VOD using MRV on non-dvr I get a choppy playback. I didnt have this problem when I used the powerline bridge. If the MRV is running a lone the playback has gotten better for both SD and HD but still gives me slight pauses on the HD playback.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Likewise here.

Watched 3 movies via MRV today....all played back perfectly, and used trickplay a few times - also worked well.

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I watch a Standard Definition and High Definition recording today from the Bridged DVR. I also watched a High Definition show on DirecTV2PC as well, I had no issues to report, all use trick plays and all kept synch and no pixelization. Pretty kewl stuff!

7. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Friday night, just about one hour after the download, I was able to cause the "unable to access media" by stopping and starting programs. I expect it to work better after the 6 hour housekeeping. I did start a movie an hour later, from the HR20 on the 610 as the server, and it ran for the entire movie without a hiccup. Of course, I didn't pause it or use any trick play. :D I hope to have more time to play with it tomorrow.

Since I saw Movieman and others post that the current NR for the H23 has MRV, I rolled back last night from the current CE (434D from Sept. 4) to 42EE and I have MRV back to expand my testing. And the cool thing is that the H23 has the playlist selection available to pick which individual DVR you want to see the list from. WooHoo. I miss that.

Hook 'Em Horns.

8. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I'm still having issues watching shows on the HR with the WET610N via MRV. I've seen "unable to access media", "AKE Fail" and even errors saying something was wrong with the access card when trying to watch recordings off the HR with the WET610N.

As a client I've had no problems with that machine though which is what makes it odd.

I also still haven't been able to get the setup screens.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think that is an MRV issue, and not a wet issue... I say this because i have seen the same thing reported by others... and had that issue last week....

10. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    BTW my intention wasnt go to back to the NR. Apparently, I missed a CE on my H23 and was on an lower # so it took the update last week on its own. I hadnt even checked until someone mentioned that a new NR was coming out. I just want to make sure the Mods know I wasnt intending to tell people to go back to the NR. :) But it did work out cause if not I would still not have MRV to test.

I have this problem currently repeating itself on my H23. If I turn off the receiver I loose my network connection. So I have been leaving it on and just turning off the tv and leaving the STB on. Check your network connection to see if its saying connected. Maybe it might help.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I agree.

I've started comparing both MRV & DirecTV2PC on the wireless and wired network.

My HR23 is on the wireless adapter and my HR21 & HR20 are wired.

I get the same response issues that others have posted regardless which is the server/client.

If I didn't which receivers were involved in MRV/DirecTV2PC, I wouldn't be able to determine if I was using the wireless connection or not.

I have yet to find an issue that isn't repeatable on my wired receivers. With that said, I haven't tried DoD yet. :grin:

Mike

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    But I'm only seeing it when trying to view recordings on the DVR with the WET so to me they would be WET issues.

13. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I wasn't trying to say you or anyone encouraged me to roll back. I had seen other people post in the regular threads about the H23 on NR working with MRV and wanted to use that for testing. Plus, the H23 is in my wife's study and she is now able to use that TV to watch the stuff she has recorded in the living room. And we like being able to select the list for the particular DVR that we want to watch a show from. :D Much better than the unified list.

14. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I'm not sure about this being just an MRV issue. I get the same error message "unable to play DCHP content" and an "AKE error" in the middle of MRV viewing when using the HR22 [has bridge] as a client. When this happens, I loose network connectivity. No TV apps, no unified playlist, no DoD on the HR22. The HR21 [hardwired] seems unaffected.

This makes me think it may be related to the WET610. I haven't tested too much using the HR22 as a server, so I may see this issue in the HR21 also, given more time.

Anyway, I have diagnostic codes for this problem and am unsure if I should post in the MRV issues thread or in the wireless issues thread.

15. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I would post it here with the details of your bridge but without the bridge info in the MRV issue thread in the general CE forum.

16. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, I think I'll do that and post a link from this forum's issue thread to the post the the general CE thread.

17. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I mentioned it that way so that you dont post any info from this forum in the general CE. I think if you post a link might get someones attention about this hidden forum.

18. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I only linked it from here to there. No one (except those here) should be able to see that a link is pointing to the post in the general CE issue thread...right?? Maybe I'll just copy and paste next time. :)

19. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    HR20-100 MRV worked for only the first playback from any of 3 receivers:

H21-200 (on NR)
    HR20-700 (CE)
    HR21-200 (CE)

After I stopped the first playback, I continually got "Unable to Access Media) no matter which server (above) I tried to play from. I could see the program list on the servers, but any attempt to playback produced the aforementioned error.

I let it sit from Friday night until Sunday late afternoon (because I was working). I then went to the HR20-100 and did the following, without restarting the HR20-100:

LOSEMRV
    BRINGMRVBACK

Instantly, on the HR20-100, I was able to see and play the program lists on the HR20-700 and HR21-200, perfectly.

When I attempted to play the HR20-100 content on either the HR20-700 or HR21-200, I could see the HR20-100 playlist, but when I selected a program to play, very slowly either would try to play the program, but all I ever got was a gray screen, after the program time line (progress bar appeared, then disappeared after a few seconds...which it (bar) should.) In essence, I can't play the content on the HR20-100, but I can play the content from other DVRs on the HR20-100.

It is not "serving" correctly, but it is acting as a "client" correctly.

The non-DVR H21-200 (on the NR) sees the HR20-100 playlist, but shows an "Unable to Access Media" error when playback is attempted. The H21-200 can see and play content from either the HR20-700 or HR21-200 DVRs.

All of this says to me that in my situation, the HR20-100 is not able to serve out its content to any of 3 boxes, but is able to play content from any DVR on the network. (even after losemrv/bringmrvback)

It shouldn't be a signal level issue, because of transmit/receive path reciprocity. If I can play other DVR content on the HR20-100 (which I can), then the signal levels are adequate.

Progress, to be sure, but the HR20-100 is not capable of being a server at this stage of the game.

P.S.

In response to a suggestion, I restarted the HR20-100 and it did begin serving a program. I stopped the program to select another, and it went right back to the gray screen scenario described above. This is progress, albeit only a bit.

20. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I have 6 units. Every once in a while, ONE of them have this issue, and I have not had this issue on anyone that is on a wireless adaptor...

This is why I think its an MRV issue.. Now it could've something to do with how fast they reply or something, or not receiving full packets or something, and maybe that could be more hampered by wireless, but I dont think thats it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.