1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell Towers and EMI dangers?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SatRick, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Anyone have any good info or links on the dangers from the output of Cell Phone Towers or is a non issue.:eek2:

I live in a new home for over three years, with a tower [about 260ft away, 90ft H with 2 levels equipment] from main living area and have lost 2 cats and a Gpig in the last year, that all seem to develop a neurological issue that led to thier demise :mad:

I did some research before buying and never was provided any info that said there was a danger from EMI ?or EFI? etc, but now starting to wonder:eek2:

Coincidence, hopefully but would be nice to see what you teckies think or more importantly, know:D
    TIA

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Most cell phone towers are using frequencies that used to be used for UHF TV. Those frequencies have been used for broadcasting for 60 years without much affect on people.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Very interesting thread. I'm anxious to see the replies. I've always heard that you should avoid living under those huge power lines, as they put off a good bit of radiation. I would imagine that cell towers do the same...

4. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    I didn't think there would be as much if any danger from the actual airwaves, but am also concerned about the equipment itself, ie transformers and output transducers? and generation etc

One official described it as "it can be to dangerous because we have Ospreys that live on them":rolleyes:

But, then again, I can't remember seeing any Ospreys in my doctors office lately:eek2:

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Technically, it's referred to as EMR.

EMR = Electro-Magnetic Radiation
    EMI = Electro-Magnetic Interference

6. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
  7. SatRick

SatRick AllStar

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanks
    Didn't know what to call it;)

That should make for some good reading:eek2:
    Rich

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Supposedly its safe (many cell phone "towers" are mounted on office buildings and other large buildings like apartments near lots of people). But just because things are within safe limits does not necessarily mean no one is susceptible to their effects.

9. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    I once got the construction of a tower canceled by advising someone who didn't want one built near his house to demand a power density study. I did a 'back of the envelope calculation' showing the radiated power at inhabited zones around the proposed tower wasn't even close to exceeding government limits but told him to make the telephone company to prove it's safe. They hired an 'expert' who did such a deplorable analysis that his study was easily discredited.

Cell towers, in general, are now exempt from needing a submission of power density analysis calculations.

--- CHAS

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    From what I have been told, the huge cell towers are NOT what cells phones use, but small "towers" that are about a foot or so tall and placed all over. How do you think the gps part of the phone works?

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The antenna itself is pretty small, but still needs to be up in the air. Usually this will be on a high building or tower of some sort.

You can see them all over though if you look closely, they are the antennas that are long and skinny and usually in a group of a few in each direction. Lots of times you see them on large buildings or small towers.

http://www.steelintheair.com/Cell-Phone-Tower.html

They are getting a lot better at stealth towers though, you see lots of them disguised as trees in some areas and blending in with buildings and such better and better.

12. Jim Parker

Jim Parker Icon

Aug 12, 2003
    I would point out that the transmission power from a cell tower transmitter is very low compared to other towers.

The whole point to cells is that they are low power but close together. That allows the same frequency to be reused at many locations around town.

Compare that to a TV ar AM station with 100,000 watts that covers an area a 100 miles
    in diameter.

Besides, all of the studies have found no credible evidence that EM waves are harmful. There was an article in IEEE about the lastest studies a few months ago.

13. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    If these towers were of the analog type (read, not spread spectrum, since all RF is analog), then there would/should be some concern. With digital spread spectrum signals the energy is spread out which limits the dangers associated with it. For instance, like digital television, you'll notice that transmitter power is significantly decreased because the processing power used to capture the signal has increase which removes the need for more power to reach areas they had reached with analog signals.

I'm not sure why the FCC doesn't make radio stations (read: AM and FM) do something similar as the combination of lowering RF emissions is a good thing on many levels.

Jim, frequency reuse is able to be done due to the use of CDMA, not the number of towers.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This topic (including the "no harm from radio waves" discussion) always reminds me of the scene in a famous comedy movie with the dog that's wagging his multiple tails....:D

15. xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    You talking about The Naked Gun 2 1/2, right?

If you guys want to read the great debates on cell towers and EME/EMI/EMC2 go to Phone Scoop.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yup.

Then there's the further evidence about Smiddy glowing (green, of course) in the dark....but that's just hearsay...:D