1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central NJ/SE PA - looking for leaf fade expert

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by msmith, May 12, 2009.

1. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm looking for either a technician or an arborist to help me with my leaf fade issues. Since the new growth this year I've lost 119, and I need to evaluate/do trimming or dish moving.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The first thing to point out is that assuming you have Philadelphia locals and you don't have the ethnic package, you don't need to receive 119 (or 110) at all. You only need 99/101/103. So if you have a Slimline 5 dish, just replace the LNB with an SL3 LNB and you don't need to trim your trees.

3. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Hmmmm..... Looks like that will work.

Does anybody in the area feel like installing one of these for me? Easy money.

4. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    One other question.

I still have a HR10-250. I assume that I just tell that receiver that it sees 101 only, and I'll lose the ethnic channels and legacy HD channels (which are going soon anyway).

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    As texasbrit correctly pointed out you don't need no freakin 119. Additionally, if you are not using HD equipment you don't need no freakin 99 or 103.

Regarding the trees, you can pull branches with a rope to tell what needs trimming. From what you report limbs to the right of your dish as you look from behind are blocking the 119 and my eventually get the 101. Then you are screwed. You don't have to cut every tree but a nice hole through the branches about ten degrees left, right, up and down in enough. If you are in a rural area and have a 12 ga shotgun a box of BB will do it. If you shoot real well buck shot and slugs will take down large limbs. Know where you are shooting.

Joe

Joe

6. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The problem is that my receivers want the guide info off 119, and if I watch mostly HD channels they start complaining about not seeing guide data.

No shooting here in suburban NJ - the tree and dish are 10 feet from the neighbor's fence.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The SL3 uses a different stack plan which will resolve your guide issues. You'll lose the few remaining MPEG2 HD channels on your HR10, but they'll be gone soon regardless.

8. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Mine was "needle fade" (pine trees) where the line-of-sight to 119 has always been bad. Each year, the tree line rose 16-18" and required additional extensions to the dish height to maintain 119 at strengths above 40%. I was able to keep up but never got scores above 60. You could watch programming at this signal strength but the nightly guide download was becoming increasingly problematic. For example, I had an H21 that if it were left on a certain channel (355) overnight, I would have to reset the receiver every morning. I was starting to get pretty nervous 'cause I have the dish mounted on the top of my roof (2.5 stories up) and ran out of feasible ways to raise it further.

As already suggested in a previous post, the fix was to get the 3 LNB "head" (I don't know what you call it). The dish doesn't have to be replaced, just the head unit on the end of the arm containing the LNBs. The D* guy who came out to replace an HR21 (hard drive failure) put the new head unit on and checked the alignment for me - it took him less than 10 mins. They didn't charge me for it but I will bet they would have if that were the only reason he came out.

Once the head unit on the dish was replaced, all I had to do was run through setup again to tell the DVRs/receivers that I now had a Slimline-3LNB. They stopped looking for 119 and I have not had a problem since.

I don't know for sure what all the channels are that you lose by doing this. They told me my HD locals are not on 119 and unless I watched the non-English channels, I wasn't really giving anything up. You will lose the old MPEG2 HD channels (70's range) but for me, I don't care because they are replicated in MPEG 4 elsewhere. If you're still trying to watch the MPEG2's on an HR10-250, that would be something you'll miss... to me, not worth worrying about - just get an HR2x and use MPEG4 channels. Maybe have the tech will bring you one and add the SL3 head at the same time. BTW: If you still have the older, smaller 3-LNB dish that came out with the HR10-250, I am not sure if that one will work with the new 3LNB Head - if that is the case, you will need a new dish. For those of us who had already upgraded to the Slimline 5 LNB dish, the dish still works and you only have to swap the head.

Good luck!

9. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks.

I have two HR2x DVRs, and the HR10-250 is just still running. I should probably accept the swap deal for it.

My only worry is that the tree is just gonna get bigger and I might have the same problem next year or two with 103 or 101 (though 110 is still OK).

10. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yup,

Sky blasting is not for everyone. The trees will continue to grow.

The other dish (just the 3LNB) should do it for awhile.

Joe

11. jaguar325

jaguar325 Legend

Jan 2, 2006
    Good luck on swapping the HR10-250.. I am not sure they are still as motivated to trade those in as when they were first getting people to take HR20s. I couldn't even get them to take my used one back and ended up dropping it off at Best Buy recycling (met my daily limit of two - have one more sitting in the basement).

Regarding the concern about tree growth, I'd bet you'll get some time just by switching to the 3LNB unit. Then, if you get leaf fade again, start dealing with the trimming issues. One idea I came up with a couple weeks ago is to go low - conventional wisdom is the get the dish as high as you can. For me, the pine trees are reaching 60-75 feet and I am eventually going to be encircled by their crowns. However, I noticed on the south side of my house, all I have left is trunks for the first 20-30 feet up. It looks like I can mount the dish a few feet off the ground (to clear the snow) and point it between the tree trunks (10-15 feet apart) into the opening to the sky above my neighbor's house. Have you got any options like that?

12. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    assuming you can get to the dish reasonably easily the swap to the SL3 lnb is really easy.

Undo 2 bolts.

Pull the current LNB out and disconnect the 4 cables.

Connect the 4 cables up to the new LNB.

Slide the new LNB into place and replace the 2 bolts.

As long as you are careful with the dish you shouldn't need to do a realignment. The toughest part of the whole thing is not dropping the nuts when you take off the 2 bolts.

13. jsmuga

jsmuga Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    New Hope, PA

I am going to be doing this in the next couple of weeks. Do I need to power off my SWM8's or receivers when I change the LNB. Thanks for the help.

14. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    We're pretty tight. I've only got a 12,000 sq ft property. On the south I'm bordered by a house (each house 10 feet from the line) and a 6' fence. The dish is currently at the 2nd floor of my house (made cleaning snow off this winter possible). In the past I've had a dish on the roof but I've had trouble getting installers to touch it - the roof is steep and they need a 24' ladder just to get up there.

We're planning to try trimming first, and then move to the 3LNB if needed. For various reasons we'd prefer to have someone else do the LNB swap for us, if anybody's interested.

15. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm not all too far away, let me know if you want to work something out. PM me. :)

16. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    When working with any electrical device it is a good practice to turn off the power. You are dealing with low voltage and most techs do not worry about on or off. Some meters require that the receiver be on.

The SWM8 has a PI (power inserter) and I would unplug that also.

Joe

17. jsmuga

jsmuga Godfather

Jan 3, 2008
    New Hope, PA
    Thanks for the help

18. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    You live in my service region but I normally don't work that far north, but you could just try to reprogram your receiver and tell it that you only have a SL3 LnB even though you still have a 5 installed. I just tried this today for someone cuz I ran out of 3 LnBs. I'm thinking it should work out and I left them my number if it doesnt.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Might as well set up a return call.

The customer is going to get a 920 error and the box will reboot when it runs out of guide data.

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    MrShowtime,

DirectSAT USA has tech levels? How does that work? My dealings with their Philly shop indicated DirectSAT USA needed help keeping their fly up and their shirt in.

How goes it?

Joe