1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes coming to ESPN Classic and ESPNews

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by AMike, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 #1 of 93
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    There was an article in the Houston Chronicle that contained an interview with ESPN's John Skipper. He states that changes are coming to both channels within the next 30-60 days, but didn't allude to what those changes might be. He states that Classic does not have a big enough audience. Well, I think they killed the audience when they got rid of the programming they had before. As for ESPNews, it has become "less useful". I always thought it had its place for the sportsfan that wanted news quickly instead of waiting for SportsCenter.

It will be curious to see what shakes out. Will ESPN develop an all soccer channel? An all SportsCenter channel? Or will those channels disappear? Here's a synopsis of that article.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/07/changes-coming-to-espnews-and-espn.html

2. Aug 1, 2010 #2 of 93
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They have themselve's to blame for ClassicSports failure. There's an old saying "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Well, they fixed it!

3. Aug 1, 2010 #3 of 93
    vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    I've heard talk of ESPN Classic going all soccer. It will be interesting to see what changes are made.

4. Aug 1, 2010 #4 of 93
    Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    All soccer or even more college sports programing are likely items considering the rights they hold to programing or may be they will make espn3. I think part of the issue is going to be how much do they receive for espnews. If they don't get muched. Look for it to fold unless they can get companies to change their contracts for a channel with more programing on it. What ever happens to ESPN Classic will likely result in a move the next time around back down the main package as part of ESPN's requirments to keep the channel. Likely it will either be all soccer or even more likely ESPN3.

5. Aug 1, 2010 #5 of 93
    sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    As long as Classic is in SD, I will not watch, no matter what programming it carrys

6. Aug 1, 2010 #6 of 93
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    And eventually we will see ESPN the Ocho formed once and for all :D

7. Aug 1, 2010 #7 of 93
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Theyve already started changes to espnews back in june.

All the info borders are gone & now they have just the bottom line like the other espn stations.

Hate it.

8. Aug 1, 2010 #8 of 93
    kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I doubt they call one of them ESPN3, being they renamed ESPN360 to ESPN3. ESPN classic was fine till they changed up the programming on it. They already have ESPNU for college, unless they want a ESPNU2 for more college? ESPNNEWS can be used for press conferences, post game interviews, breaking stories, sportscenter. During the fall there are plenty of sports going on but during parts of summer after football and basketball season, there's not as much sports going on till college football starts again.

9. Aug 1, 2010 #9 of 93
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Isn't that what ESPNEWS is now?

Its kind of hard to show classic sports in HD when they weren't shot in HD. ;) But I agree it is hard to watch in SD.

Maybe more specialized channels?
    ESPNU 2?
    ESPNBA?
    ESPNMLB?

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    ESPN NEWS has been used for some overflow stuff. ESPN Classic as well but's SD and in sports pack.

Make ESPNNEWS ESPN bonus cam? ESPN 8? ESPN PPV HD? ESPN UK? ESPN world? TSN USA (espn is a part owner of TSN)

11. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Run By Cinco and Uno after their respective retirements. :D:lol:

12. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The article was interesting in that it talked about how Classic was started with all of these "Classic" games, the issue now is many of those classic style games are owned by the teams or the leagues. With the growth of channels like YES, NBA, NFL, and MLB they are now showing their "classic" games and ESPN doesn't have the same access to them.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Classic, beyond soccer you have 2 large carrots out there ready to be picked.....The Olympics which ESPN could then use Classic for full time to compete with Universal Sports or possibly a Pac12/SEC/ACC channel with programing dedicated to one or more of those.

13. topdogg069

topdogg069 Cool Member

Apr 30, 2007
    bring back the old espnews layout and i may start watching again. quit watching both espn and espnews during world cup and haven't really started to tune back in. i would rather turn to mlb network and nfl network to get my news or the web.

14. beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    Amen!

15. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I quit watching those channels because of the lack of hockey coverage and the fluff that comprises SportsCenter. ESPN will only report on those sports that they have a vested interest. In the old days, you would get a healthy dose of reporting on all sports and lived up to their original billing as the "Total Sports Network". I get my news and highlights from MLB, NFL and when in season the NHL Networks.

16. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Another example of what Disney does when they take over (and it's NOT good)

17. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Disney took over befoe ESPN Classic and ESPN news.

18. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Ya, I turned to ESPN News one day about 3 weeks ago and I was severly disappointed since they got rid of all the grids and on screen info! They lost a viewer because of that.

19. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I could see one of the channels being turned into world sport channel. They have the online rights to some Rugby, Cricket, Aussie Rules, and some other Soccer leagues. They can make a full time channel out of that.

20. stewdog1

stewdog1 AllStar

Sep 6, 2007
    Yeah, that sucks. Here's what I would like to see fixed, and it really isn't asking for much:

1. Add back the onscreen info of ESPNews. I'm not watching that channel for a full screen of talking heads

2. Get rid of the stupid ticker at the bottom of the screen during the sporting events on ESPN and ESPN2. Go back to the 28 and 58s. We have ESPNews, the internet, twitter, etc to see scores. I don't need to constantly see the score to the same 10 games over and over.

3. Get the NHL back