Changes to Mobile App

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Legman, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM.

1. Legman

Legman New Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Berlin,...
    Is AT&T trying to kill directv?

Changes to the DIRECTV App

AZ. and aterriba like this.
  2. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    We travel the US and Asia on tour for a good portion of the year. The ONLY reason we pay for DirecTV is that we can record programs on our DVR and watch them on the road wherever we are. This change, if not replaced with another option, will mean the end of about 25 years of service for us.
    How stupid is AT&T? They keep raising prices and removing features.

aterriba likes this.
  3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You will still be able to stream all the channels that you can stream now, that comes from DIRECTV's CDN. What you will lose is the ability to stream channels from your GENIE that DIRECTV doesn't have on their CDN's like some of your local channels or channels 287, AHC, or recordings directly from your GENIE. You will still be able to download recordings to your device to view while out of the home and have no network connections.

4. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    ..and how am I supposed to download recordings when I am in Asia? I do not stream live TV. I watch recorded things from my DVR when I have a break between soundcheck and show or at the hotel after the show. This change makes DirecTV 100% unusable. Again, why are they REMOVING features while raising prices? AT&T is just plain stupid.

5. bobcnn

bobcnn Mentor

Nov 10, 2007
    Sorry if this has been posted before (I looked for a thread but couldn't find it). Under messages, there were a couple about Directv mobile app changes. Changes to the DIRECTV App

What is changing on the App?

Beginning March 4, 2019 some channels will no longer be available to stream out of home on the DIRECTV App. Additionally, streaming recorded shows from your DVR out of home will not be available.

Why is this happening?

We are focusing our development on our more used features in order to provide customers with the best experience. To learn more about the many popular features that will remain after this update, see below. We remain committed to bringing you the best experience on our app.

Will I still be able to watch live TV?

Yes! The number of channels available to stream live out of home varies by your package and location and may change from time to time.

How do I know which channels are available to stream live?

The DIRECTV app will automatically display only those channels that are available in your package and available for streaming based on whether you are in home or out of home.

Can I still watch what is on my DVR when I’m not at home?

You can still download your favorite recorded shows from your DVR to your DIRECTV App while you are at home just as you have done before and watch it wherever you go*. Because they’re downloaded to your device, you can watch them anywhere, even when you’re on an airplane and don’t have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection.

Can I still set my shows to record from my mobile/tablet device?

You can still use the DIRECTV App to schedule recordings on your DVR when you’re away from home.

Can I still stream on demand shows and movies out of home, on the go?

You can access over 50,000 shows and movies on demand to watch virtually anytime, anywhere on your favorite devices**.

For more information, please visit directv.com/app.

*DIRECTV App & Mobile DVR: Available only in the US. (excl Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I.). Req’s compatible device. Live streaming channels based on your TV pkg & location. Not all channels available to stream out of home. To watch recorded shows on the go, must download to mobile device using Genie HD DVR model HR 44 or higher connected to home WiFi network. Rewind and fast-forward may not work. Limits: Mature, music, pay-per-view and some On Demand content is not available for downloading. Five shows on 5 devices at once. All functions and programming subject to change at any time.

**Requires subscription to DIRECTV’s top-tier PREMIER programming package. Other packages will have fewer shows and movies. Features available on select channels/programs. Internet-connected HD DVR (model HR20 or later) required.

6. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Oh no :(

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

7. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    In other words....our software engineers weren’t competent enough to make this work correctly so we quit.

xtc, daniloni, Microphone and 2 others like this.
  8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I feel like someone predicted this.......

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I agree 100% with this. But I also think changes could be coming with how this works. i.e directnow does the same thing sans dvr

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Out-of-home streaming from my Genie DVR has never worked well. Even with a fast home internet connection, and fast remote WiFi connection, the video quality sucked.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Unless you found a way around it you have to be on the same network as the Genie to download a program, so nothing different with this change for doing that.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Would Slingbox work for you? We know several couples who teach overseas (Russia and UAE) and have one connected to a DIRECTV DVR here in the states. They love it.

AZ. likes this.
  13. GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    Possibly. We used Sling back 15-20 years ago to do this before DVRs were really available. Still doesn;t explain why DirecTV would just dump a useful feature.

14. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    One step forward, two steps back, come on AT&T!
    I think something else is going to happen after March 4th...…..

dod1450 and AZ. like this.
  15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    People are miss-using "download".
    I think some folks mean, only remote streaming from the DVR to wherever you are in the world.

From my read, that is going away.

The ability to download/transfer from Genie, while on your home network, does not appear to be going away.

What we don't know is which channels won't even be available for OOH streaming any longer? Locals? Some sports? HBO? etc. It seems to be wait and see in March.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And no one here can explain why they are doing it. Inability to program the feature to get it to work reliably? Cost savings? Don't care about their customers? Contract issues? Greed? Lots of potential answers, but we'd all be speculating.

17. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Like what? More customers leaving??

DIRECTV should give all their customers a free subscription to a single stream of DIRECTV NOW of comparable channels (w/ locals). That might stem the tide for many who desire out-of-home streaming. Just update the DIRECTV app to map the channel streams to the DIRECTV NOW channel streams.

18. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Correct. For all we know on March 25th they could change the way
    it is certainly possible that is coming

19. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Sling box should work as long as u connect it component and not via HDMI

Hdmi it will detect the copy Wright protection thing ... HDCP?

I was unable to connect my sling box 500 to my 4k mini box
    But it worked via component via the genie mini box

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

20. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I like this quote. Now I will lose my "best experience."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 7:00 PM