1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changin IP on Netgear Gateway C6300

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by tadam, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    We just came down to Florida for the winter from Michigan. I use Directv Now as one of my streaming services. I would like to know if there is a way to change my IP to a static IP that has a physical location in Michigan so that when Directv checks for my location, it sees this static Michigan IP. Any advice will be appreciated.

2. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    The original poster is referring to DirecTV Now, the streaming service, not DirecTV. The service is not delivered by satellite so spot beams don't mean anything. The issue would be identifying the location that the subscriber currently is and delivering the locals for Florida rather than Michigan.

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    The only way I think you could get away with that would be to run a VPN from your Michigan address down to your Florida address.

Rich likes this.
  4. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    "Them" meaning my ISP (Xfinity) or Directv Now?

5. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    I checked that out too, but I would need to know how to go about getting a legit IP that has an address in Michigan as well as the subnet mask and the gateway ip.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Ok - well how about this idea - do your Michigan stations stream their news and weather (i.e. the content they produce) ? If so, you could stream the Michigan news and weather directly and use Directv Now for the network programming from the Florida stations .

I just moved to KC from the Raleigh NC market, and WRAL streams their news to anyone with a client - I have an Amazon FireTV that worked great for that (I followed Hurricane Florence from them).

7. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    I want to try and set this up so that I can watch Michigan and the Detroit Lions.

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That isn't how a VPN works. In general you pay a company to give you a secure connection that rides over the top of the ISP connection you physically have. For example, when I go on vacation I connect to the Internet using the hotel wi-fi connection then immediately activate my VPN software so that my traffic is encrypted and until it comes out of the VPN server at the other end. Some people will use VPN services to get an IP in a specific country or city (as suggested in this thread). When vacationing in Canada I had to set my VPN to use US addresses to access some US websites.

If you still have a home in Michigan where equipment can be left running you can build your own VPN tunnel back home. Otherwise you will need to find a VPN service that offers IPs in Michigan. The VPN service would provide the IP address - it isn't something you would need to find.

9. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    I've searched multiple pay for VPN services, but unfortunately I have not found one that has a server in Michigan.

10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Some streaming services will not run IF they can detect that you are running a VPN.

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    SO what you really need is the results from this search -

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=sling+box,aps,188&crid=27S8VMSGNERFU

THen you would set this up in Michigan with a tuner (cable or OTA) , and have an Internet connection there to sling it , then an application on some device to receive the sling stream in Florida.

It might work better if you have someone in Michigan that can set this up at their end, while you setup your Florida end.

12. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    True, but the VPN service I am using works great with Directv Now.