Changing a leased receiver to owned

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JGL, Jul 18, 2015.

1. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    I was looking to buy an owned HR44 off of eBay, and had called the DirecTV Access Card department to check out a few RID #'s. After letting him know that I was looking to get an owned receiver, he mentioned that it was possible to have a leased receiver deactivated, then pay a $135.00 non-return fee, and then activate it again as owned...you don't have to get a new access card, either.
    This can't be done with the Genie's, unfortunately...the only way to get an owned Genie is to buy one from a former DirecTV employee, or buy from someone that got one from an employee. I asked how much a Genie would cost if I wanted to buy one as owned, and he said all Genies are leased and there's no option to buy one to own.
    The $135.00 non-return fee was for the HD-DVR's. The fee for HD Receivers was $45.00
    Sorry if this was common knowledge, but I never knew of this option before.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't think you received correct information there. You can't just pay the non-return fee and have a receiver changed from leased to owned. Generally, once a receiver is deactivated and a non-return fee is paid on it, it cannot be re-activated.

- Merg

3. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    This came from 2 different people from the Access Card department. After the 1st one told me about it, it didn't seem right to me so I called in again and got another person that said the same thing. Don't know what to tell you...maybe they were both wrong, or DirecTV changed their policies?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is an old post on here that a person also told how to get a leased receiver and how to then get it to be owned. He either did what you are stating or something very similar.

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    As I understand it, that is exactly how it works. The Access Card Department has also told me it works the same on the Genie. Now the past I was told if you reactivated it that they would just refund the non return fee and convert it back to leased. Never tried this option on any receiver before so I cant comment on how it actually works in real life.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's not true.

Rich

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've noticed that the Access Card people are not as well informed as they used to be. I'll comment on this further in my thread about the HR44-700.

Rich

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Business accounts own their equipment. Should be able to get one from them as well.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Only public viewing accounts own their own equipment; though since DVRs aren't permitted on a public viewing account they can't be a source of Genies. I can obtain a receiver from any source (leased, non recoverable, etc.) and activate it on my account, and it becomes owned.

Someday I'll have a giant pile of owned H20s to sell, though by that time their value would probably so little it wouldn't be worth my hassle :)

10. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    Rich, could you please clarify other options to get an owned Genie?

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Here, on the buy, sell forum

12. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    I understand there are multiple sources from where to get owned Genies, but ultimately those either came from DirecTV employees or people that had bought from employees. If this is not true in all cases, I was asking for clarification for other situations where Genies would be considered owned.

13. DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    I would like to know the advantage of owning vs leasing one.

14. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    Being owned does not trigger another 2 year contract, the ability to modify (put in bigger hard drive, replace fans, etc), and ability to activate and deactivate whenever you want without having to send back the access card.

15. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I know that some people here who participated in field trials (from which the various First Look documents come) have received owned equipment. So there is at least one source for an owned Genie that did not originate with an employee. There well may be others, I don't know, but one specific example is all it takes to make your statement that they all originate with employees not true in all cases.

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The AC is always the property of DIRECTV®

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    I hadn't been aware of what the OP stated, though it makes perfect sense to me.

18. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    Ok, thanks for the example. My original statement was what I was told by the Access Card department, so I wasn't aware of any other options.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I called to check on a Genie yesterday that came from a business account. I guess I disagree.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Private viewing business customers can have DVR, public viewing or business viewing can't is the way I understand it.