1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing anniversary gift

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dhkinil, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1 of 27
    dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    Has anyone had any luck getting them to change your anniversary gift, I have game lounge, and less than zero interest in it.

2. Aug 8, 2010 #2 of 27
    dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Shoot them an e-mail, they'll change it for you.

3. Aug 8, 2010 #3 of 27
    RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I got the same anniversary gift and have an equal amount of interest. Told them I would prefer Showtime instead. They said they couldn't remove Game Lounge, but gave me 2 mo's of Showtime free.

4. Aug 8, 2010 #4 of 27
    studdad

studdad Icon

Aug 11, 2008
    i got them to give me $5 off my bill for 6 months

5. Aug 8, 2010 #5 of 27
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yep. I sent an email after I received the game lounge. They changed it to 3 months of Showtime.

6. Aug 8, 2010 #6 of 27
    AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I had an anniversary gift, Game Lounge, added to my account in June. About a week or so ago, I received something in the mail notifying me of this as well as an e-mail. I sent an e-mail to D* thanking them for this gift, but it is something that I will never use. They were kind enough to give me a $5 credit for 3 months instead.

7. Aug 9, 2010 #7 of 27
    dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    thanks all

8. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    funny, when they gave me Game Lounge free for three months back in the spring I emailed and requested an alternative and got a "sorry, this is your gift" reply and then called and got the same response. I had stumbled upon my "free gift" by reading about it here on the boards, but didn't get any notification of this wonderful gift until a post card showed up a week after the 3 months was over. ;)

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yeah... the last two years, I've gotten Showtime for free for three months. The first time I found out about it by accident as I didn't receive any kind of notice until over a month after it started. To make matters more complicated, they count my anniversary as when they switched the account over from Pegasus, and NOT when we signed up for service. :rolleyes:

Last year, I got smart and started checking around the time it came the year before, and managed to enjoy it some prior to the time I had the year before.

During a recent call with DirecTV, the CSR told me that I would receive a post card from DirecTV prior to them launching my locals, and I should wait until I received the post card before I bother with upgrading some receivers. My locals launched last Wednesday... and I haven't received any notification about it in the mail yet! ;)

~Alan

10. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    My anniversary is coming up next month and the only thing thats more useless to me than Showtime would probably be the Game Lounge..

11. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    After hearing about this I checked my bill and saw that as of July 20 I had Game Lounge listed for free, and I assumed that was my Anniversary Gift. I never play games. I just called D* this morning, and the CSR was very helpful. She said it was indeed my anniversary gift. I informed her that I never played games, and it was worthless to me. I asked if I could have Starz for 3 months, which they had done last year, but she said, no. Instead she offered $5 a month off Showtime (which I already have) and another $5 a month off my base package for 6 months each. Obviously, I said yes. 3 months of Starz would have been cheaper! Then, she asked me if I wanted to take off Game Lounge! She said, "well, it's already there. I can leave it there for the 3 months if you want." I told her she could go ahead and remove it, because I really don't game.

SMK

12. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Looks like you got a good deal Roy. Enjoy the savings.

13. AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo Legend

Aug 22, 2007
    I wish I knew a few months ago I had a chance at swapping out my gift. I got the Sports Pack, here in the dead of summer when the only sports programming on is baseball, which I loathe. But I got a year of Starz for free last year, so I won't complain (and I signed up for Starz after my free year was up, so apparently DirecTV won also).

14. pdawg17

pdawg17 Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2006
    Same here...I had Starz free for 3 months but never knew it until it was already over...when I logged into my account it still showed it as my gift except it was already over with...an email or something would be nice so that I can actually take advantage of it...

Is there usually a gift every year?

15. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
    you would think that they could e mail you because they e mail for loads of other reasons

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Some have received emails. I received a post card and notification on my account. You might check to see if you have emails checked in your account profile.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Just received a postal card announcing my loyalty gift. It actually arrived on or around my anniversary date this time, so maybe they're getting better about this. Last year my postal card arrived half way through the 3-month gift period, announcing 3 months of Sports Pack -- something of about zero interest in our household.

This time it's just for one free DIRECTV CINEMA, something I've NEVER used up to now, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye, I guess.

18. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Last November I received the sports pack. Had no interest at all. emailed and was told that they couldn't change the gift. Didn't bother calling.

19. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Last couple times I got postcards telling me I got 3 free PPV, if I mailed in a postcard, I was somewhat underwhelmed. I pay my bill through the phone company and they don't accept D*'s coupon. BUT.......D* did let me know if I didn't use the PPV's within 90 days they would credit my account for the value of 3 PPVs.

Got another postcard yesterday, 3 free PPV's again. This time I don't need no stinking coupon. I just watch the PPV and they credit my account for the amount. :)

20. mirwin101

mirwin101 AllStar

Oct 9, 2006
    I also got a free DirecTV Cinema movie as my anniversary gift. I noticed it when I logged onto the DirecTV website. I called and told them that I got 3 free months of Showtime last year and would prefer Showtime to a PPV movie. They gave me Showtime free for 3 months in addition to the free DirecTV Cinema movie.