1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Channel…Names

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by DS0816, Apr 16, 2003.

1. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Could these programmers put a moratorium over the next five years of changing their programming station names? The New TNN becomes Spike TV. MuchMusic USA becomes Fuse. What's next? Animal Planet morphs into Animals-24/7? TV Land begats TV WasteLand?

Maybe the FCC ought to get involved by imposing hefty fees -- like $5 billion -- for programmers insisting on reinventing their crummy content with name changes.

One thing's for certain: There are plenty of viewers who don't live by a TV Guide much less monitor all this chaos. They'll be wondering, what the hell! Just like they have with others that changed before. :rolleyes:

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I want to know if "The New TNN" is still "NEW" if we know it's not going to be TNN for much longer.

And will the damn black bar go away when it becomes SpikeTV?

3. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003
    I doubt it. The (psuedo) NEW TNN logo will probably be replaced with a cheap Spike TV logo. (I think it is a cone-shaped spike logo.)

4. TerryC

TerryC Icon

Jul 18, 2002
    As long as it's the same ownership I fear the dreaded black bar will remain.

5. Ontarian

Ontarian Guest

Why dont they just rename TNN , Tv Land 2.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yeah, TNN is getting to be more like TV Land, but as long as Miami Vice remains it doesn't bother me :)

7. zztzed

zztzed Mentor

Sep 15, 2002
    As was mentioned in another thread, MMUSA/Rainbow's license to use the MuchMusic name and programming expires in May, so they don't really have any choice but to change their name. (Some of the phrasing in the press release -- particularly the thing about looking for new opportunities -- makes me think that they [that is, CHUM] probably weren't willing to renegotiate the agreement, or Rainbow had unreasonable demands or somesuch.)

I do agree that name changes solely for the sake of rebranding are pretty dumb, though.

8. Uncle Peter

Uncle Peter AllStar

Jun 26, 2002
    They should change Showtime to Re-Run City Movie Channel.

9. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    well, when TNN becomes "spike TV", they could always hire james marsters to be the "voice" of the new channel, since he is probably looking for a steady job right about now...lol