1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel 101 in "HD Guide"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jpoet, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpoet

jpoet AllStar

Feb 9, 2007
    Why does channel 101 show up in the "HD Guide"? It is not an HD channel.....

John

2. twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    They used to have it in HD when it first started, but I haven't seen it in HD for a

long time. Maybe they are getting it ready for when the new sat goes up.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually the 101 is a hybrid channel.

On an HD receiver, it will tune to a version that will play HD when that program is available.

On an SD receiver, it will tune to a version that only offers SD versions of what is being played.

4. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Gee that's one of things that I like about coming here :) I learn so much about D and everyone is so nice :sunsmile:

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    We are just nice to the tennis fans... ;)

6. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Somehow I don't think I'm ever going to live my tennis obsession down :blush:

7. jpoet

jpoet AllStar

Feb 9, 2007
    Interesting. I guess I have just not tried to watch it when they have had a HD program on.

Thanks for the info.

John

P.S. It would be nice if Directv had a channel like RAVE. Soundstage can be a great show. PBS HD shows some Stoundstage episodes, but my local PBS station has droped DD5.1 so they could make room for another sub-channel.:mad:

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You won't see much on 101 in HD during the baseball season. They use the same bandwidth for MLB HD as they do for the 101 shows. If it is on at all in HD, look late at night (like 3 am ET).

9. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    So not all shows are played in sd and hd on this channel? I mean if they put on , say my wifes soap opera "Passions" and it is in hd ,and we have an sd receiver , we won't get it ?

10. D*HR-20

D*HR-20 Legend

Jan 7, 2007
    You will get the same program we are seeing in HD on a HD receiver in SD on a SD receiver.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    They double map the station. When HD, HD receivers get the HD channel. When SD, HD receivers get SD. All programming in SD for SD receivers at all times.

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe thats something they could with the HD channels coming this fall, as long as both versions are airing the same programing of course, it would work good on ESPN and the sports channels.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003

Thanks that is easier to understand.

14. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
  15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It will be similar. The channels will have the same channel numbers, but there will be two listings in the guide. The first one will be the HD version, and that's the one you'll go to if you enter the channel number directly. The second one will be the SD version.

16. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    In the past when they have shown things in HD on channel 101 they only had one channel. The HD programming only showed at certain times. That is what I recall from the preview of the gaming chaipionships that they showed.

17. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    They do 101 as only one channel because it's not in HD 24/7.

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    The downside to that... is if I want to record an SD show that has an HD couterpart.... I will then be recording the HD feed (Which will probably take up significantly more space), instead of the SD feed.

Like right now... I record a bunch of the newer reality shows (The Next Best Thing, American Inventory, Last Comic, ect....) None of them are in HD, so I set the SL on the SD-version of the channel, so I don't take up all the space..

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Another thing is, a lot of the new channels are bound to stretch their SD programming. I'd rather just watch the SD channel than distorted crap on the HD channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.