Channel 104 - Error Code 721

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by b4pjoe, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Sep 1, 2019 #1 of 75
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Anyone able to watch channel 104? I get the "To add this channel now, simply text, click or call." screen. Error code: 721.

Called D* support. They could not fix it. Said there were no other reports. At the same time I was getting 4K soccer on channel 105 just fine. It is only happening on 104.

2. Sep 1, 2019 #2 of 75
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I just checked and am not experiencing any issues with channel 104. My 4K equipment HR54-200 (0x1214) C61k-700 (0x1200). Error code 721 indicates service isn't authorized. Customer Service needs to authorize. Can also indicate a blackout condition (sports programming). If issue continues call DIRECTV again and have them re-authorize your 4K service.

3. Sep 1, 2019 #3 of 75
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There hasn’t been soccer on 105 for 2 weeks I think

4. Sep 1, 2019 #4 of 75
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There was a Soccer match earlier today.

5. Sep 1, 2019 #5 of 75
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Ah crap. Lol missed that

6. Sep 1, 2019 #6 of 75
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    They did that today (at least they said they did). But if 4K isn't authorized why is 105, 106, 107, and 108 working?

7. Sep 2, 2019 #7 of 75
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    What equipment do you have?

8. Sep 2, 2019 #8 of 75
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    HR54 700, C61K 700, 4 HR24's, and one H24. Of course the problem is on the C61K 700.

9. Sep 2, 2019 #9 of 75
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Have you rebooted (red Button ) reset HR 54 & C61K ?

10. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    RBR and unplugged and waited 30 seconds to plugin again and restart multiple times. DTV person had me to re-run satellite setup. They refreshed receivers. Tried to activate 4K service and said it is activated and it does work on the other 4K channels. Except channel 104.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a System Test.

12. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Yes we did that yesterday too while talking with DTV support. Everything checked OK.

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a BiST (Built-in Self Test). Reset your HR54-700. When you see "Just a few more seconds..." on your TV screen using your DIRECTV remote press SELECT. This will bring up the BiST menu. Follow the prompts.

14. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Just checked 104 and working fine

15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    It seems with AT&T that every time you call it places an order. When I look in my account now it shows 6 orders since 7/24. 4 of them shows "Canceled" and 2 of them shows "Completed" but it does not specify what the orders were for. I know 3 of those calls were when I called about promotions and there were none so nothing was done which I assume is why they were canceled. And after I called yesterday that order shows canceled as well as they never did anything. The two completed orders are on 8/26 and 8/28. I have no idea what the order on 8/26 was for as I did not call on that day but it shows "Completed" and also shows "Activation pending". The one on 8/28 was the call I made where they gave me a $20 per month discount and free NFL ST. That order shows "Completed" and it shows 'Activation pending'. Yesterday they told me that 4K was activated but I guess I am going to have to call them again and have them to double check the activation. But I would think if it was not activated none of the 4K channels would come in and not just have the message on 104. What a PITA AT&T has become.

BigRedFan likes this.
  16. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I don’t think none of them would work. For example if the soccer game was a simulcast of NBC Sports then you would only need activation of NBC sports for the other channel to work This was evident with the World Cup and FS1

17. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    South Florida
    OK, I went through this nightmare last year for weeks and here below is a summary of what's going on and what needs to be done, based on conversations I had with DTV's Advanced Tech Resolutions Team after the whole ordeal was over:

When your DirecTV account is migrated from DTV to AT&T it loses a "4K authorization code" in the back-end if you make any programming or equipment changes to your account. This code only applies to Ch. 104 right now because it is coded as a full-time 4K channel and not a PPV 4K channel, which is how they have coded Chs. 105-108. Even though 105 & 106 are not PPV channels they're treated as such because they're part-time channels. If in the future they were to add other full-time 4K channels you would lose those also. The "4K authorization code" does not impact part-time/ PPV channels as those have a different back-end codes.

In order to get the "4K authorization code" back on your account, which is now under AT&T's billing system, you need to get the AT&T system to "resurrect" that DTV 4K code from inside an AT&T tool called "VADA" which has back-door links to legacy DirecTV codes. Once they're inside the VADA system there is a "Turn on 4K Service" line that they need to turn on in your account.

The DTV department that is able to do this is called the "TEC Modification Team" at (866) 237-0700, press #74. However, only DTV-authorized field techs can call them to get them to do anything. I was lucky to get a tech to come over, make the call with his contractor ID#, and get this Team to activate the 4K.

Since this problem happened again (twice more) when I added an international package and later when I added another C61K client I called the Loyalty/Retention Dept. who put me in touch with the Advanced Tech Resolutions Team in Oklahoma. Ironically enough, the TEC Modification Team would not talk to them as they were not field techs. So Advanced Tech had to contact another dept. called "Engineering Solutions" who were able to give orders to the TEC Modification Team to turn on the 4K service in the VADA system.

This whole experience has been so painful that I no longer even think of making any changes to my programming or equipment, as I would lose the 4K authorization. Even if it's just Ch. 104 right now it would apply to future full-time 4K channels.

Bottom line: this particular problem is unique and does NOT get fixed by rebooting receivers, unplugging receivers, pressing red-button on receivers, getting DTV to send automated authorizations to your account, or getting Customer Service / Tech Support to authorize 4K service on your account.

Side (funny/ sad) note: And under no circumstances even mention this problem to an overseas DTV phone rep. They try to be very helpful, they think they can fix it on their end and just make the problem worse pressing more wrong buttons. In my case they tried to "force/push" the 4K authorization by deactivating my 3 clients and issuing orders for 3 new ones. They did this 3 times ! My bill for this troubleshooting was over $900 for the 9 receivers which were never received (or sent). It took me over 2 months to get the $900 removed and to explain the whole fiasco to AT&T's billing people. All this while still trying to troubleshoot getting the 4K back.

Good luck, hopefully this gameplan will get your account fixed with 4K again.

P Smith, 242424, vinhmen and 3 others like this.
  18. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    WOW...thanks for this explanation. And how is this not an even bigger issue for more people? I'm sure they have a lot of customers making changes to their programming or equipment often. My only change was getting NFL ST (free) and a $20 per month discount. The 2nd level support yesterday said they were escalating it to engineering and I should get emails from them which I have not yet. So should I wait on engineering or was she just lying to get me off the phone? Not even sure I would ever be able to get anyone on the phone to listen to your explanation.

19. BigRedFan

BigRedFan Legend

Mar 28, 2010
    South Florida
    It probably is a bigger issue for more people but since AT&T reps are now in control it probably is not going anywhere. I'd bet also that most 4K subscribers just look for the live 4K events (which are not impacted) instead of Ch. 104 after they've seen it a few times. The minute more 4K full-time channels come on board, like ESPN 4K or HBO 4K, then you will see this issue explode.

My experience over many months was that escalations to engineering, etc. was a total waste of time, I never got any call back. Just an e-mail weeks later saying that the problem I described was not a known problem and it then listed all the stupid receiver troubleshooting steps I had done a dozen times before.

I recommend talking to the Loyalty/ Retention Dept. and telling them what's going on and what they need to do. They were the ones who got me the Advanced Tech Resolutions Team who then went to Engineering Solutions who then went to the TEC Modification Team to turn on 4K on the VADA system.

Another option is to get a tech to your home, have them call the TEC Modification Team using their Tech ID #, and they will quickly turn it on. This is quicker than going through all the people above.

It really is incredible that this is where AT&T has taken us with DirecTV.

P Smith likes this.
  20. Mysticseer

Mysticseer New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    New York, USA

Thank you so much for explaining this. What a complete nightmare. I was gonna call them for a deal on my Sunday ticket today but I sure as heck am not going to now.
    I added a h24 last month through solid signal and luckily all is still well.

I am afraid to call for anything after reading this. Good luck b4pjoe and thank you for the updates.