1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel 77 Info..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by marty1966, Jan 11, 2009.

1. marty1966

marty1966 Cool Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Why do you think they are moving HDNET Movies and UHD? I liked these together in the 70's...man, I hate change :)

2. Dansport

Dansport Cool Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Those 2 channels are in the "HD Extra" package. They're in HD only in the Mpeg-4 codec (soon, no longer in Mpeg-2) and are probably being moved to the range of channels associated with HD because they aren't available to SD subs.

3. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    When I followed the instructions on channel 77 to see if my equipment would accomodate the movement of three channels to another satllite, I found my Tivo unit would not, I received only 1 of the three channels.

At first I was told , when I called into the number to see if I "qualified" for a free upgrade of dish or receiver that they had not started broadcasting on those channels yet. However I told the guy that I have two HD DVR's and the one received all three channels while the Tivo Unit did not. I was then told that that unit will not work and they would check to see if I qualified for hte free upgrade.

They told me I was, and transferred me to the ordering department. That department told me that they were mistaken and I would have to pay for the upgrade.

I was livid because I have the equipment protection plan. I was on the phone with them from 7:30 PM till 10:45 PM, trying to get it resolved.

My belief is no one will qualify for a free upgrade...and they are using this to convince customers to forego those three channels and any others they which to move, or pay to get a new HD DVR.

As with most equipment manufacturer of a high tech nature, they should have been required to notify us of an end of life for the TIVO unit.

From a customer service aspect they gave me ove a 3 hour run around passing me from person to person, and conveniently disconnecting me during hold times.

4. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    The Protection Plan is for replacement of defective/broken equipment and service calls. It has nothing to do with upgrading receivers. That being said it's puzzling why your HR10-250 wasn't replaced when your HR2x was installed.

5. colts19

colts19 Mentor

Feb 1, 2007
    A lot of time the 10-250 was not taken back by directv at the time they gave the upgrade for the first new hd dvr. so a couple years later the person dosen't realize they have already been given a upgrade for the 10-250.

6. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    If you have an MPEG4 set up and have been watching HDNET and UHD in the 70s, then you have been cheating yourself of PQ for several months. They have been in better quality MPEG4 on their "new" numbers for quite some time.

7. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    This is the same philosophical argument I got from DTV. Why would they have taken my Tivo unit when i got the other..it was not like they gave it to me..the Tivo unit is not leased and belongs to me...the newer unit is leased, but was "purchased as an additional receiver, not an upgrade to the HR10-250....
    That is what they tried to tell me that I got one "free" upgrade already...I do not see how, I paid full price, $198 Lease fee and it was added to my total amount of equipment, was installed in a different room and all.

Even this time I asked if they wanted me to return it, and they said , no it is your personal property....I asked if I could use it to replace the standard recceiver I have on a regular TV in my home office, and they said yes it would work, even though that room is set up with only the one standard cable, but that way I could at least use it as a DVR for the channels it does pick up.

I paid over $700 just over 3 years ago for the installation of the Tivo HD DVR and 2 standard Receivers,, including an outdoor antenna set up for locals. A year later I deactivatred one standard receiver and replaced it with the newer model HD DVR receiver.

From my perspective that is tantamount to them telling you the newer HD DVR will not receive some channels after only a couple of years of service. I have been a customer for close to 12 years, and have been paying well over $100 per month "forever" And they have no idea of how close they came to having it all replaced with either Dish or Comcast last night

8. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    What channel numbers are these moving to?

9. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Man, I know that must have been frustrating. If you can find documention that you paid the lease fee for the previous HD DVR, rather than getting a free upgrade, then you should try again to have them give you the free upgrade. I'm sure that there was just a mix up in how someone entered the previous receiver order. (They did do many free upgrades where they allowed the customer to keep the "upgraded" DTivo activated. That generosity is certainly the cause of this mix up.)

10. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    to Myself also:

Showtime is moving to 537
    HD Net is moving to 552
    Universal HD is moving to 259

From what i know they are currently broadcast form both channels for a bit.then they will delete the former channel numbers

To all else..You are all probably correct. finally one CSR recognized and documented everything from my records, and they did agree to send me the new hd dvr free of charge. even offered free installation, which I did not need. I received many apologies, but they did not seem genuinely concerned over my treatment.

And i really resent having spent over three hours onthe phone getting hte run around to straighten it out.

Thanks all,

Joe

11. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Those channels already "moved" there several months ago. In fact, all of the channels in the 70-80s already have MPEG4 equivalents on higher channels. They've just remained in their old MPEG2 format on the old channel numbers while folks transition to the newer equipment.

12. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Yes, but from what I can see they just recently put the information on channel 77 telling peopel to check to see if their equipment will handle it once they do stop the former transmissions.

I understand hte sound issue withthe new channels being Mpeg4 and the old receiver not being capable, but why woudl the PQ be any different?

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Because the MPEG4 encoding is very much more efficient and allows for more end data to be streamed into a small bandwidth than the MPEG2 encoding. Part of the problem was that the MPEG2 was squeezed to fit and that meant what some folks call HD-Lite.

Also, they have been moving people. They have concentrated on the sports package people as they dropped MPEG2 HD for the NFL and for the other sports packages (MLB, NHL, etc). And they worked on DNS folks as they dropped half the MPEG2 DNS HD.

Otherwise, they have been making offers and figured that the new HD channels would bring people off the HR10s into the H20 and HR20 realm.

This is really the last phase starting. The elimination of the channels in the 70s.

14. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    I paid about $400 to lease a HR20 while I still had a HD TIVO that I paid $900 for & OWN. The TIVO later broke & was replaced for free under the protection plan with a HR20 which I own. I was never upgraded.

15. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006

ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD are not on any other channels numbers that I am aware of.

16. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Along with the channels in the 70's, they are on 206 and 209.

17. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006

Many people qualify for the free upgrade so it is not true to say no one does. I'd argue that most people qualify

And actually the TiVo unit doesn't have an end of life as it still can be used as a SD DVR.

I'm happy to look into it for you if you wish, PM me your account number. If you've already had your HD receiver exchanged or upgraded (sounds like you have with your second HD DVR), then you would not be eligible for the free swap. But I can verify that for you if you wish.

18. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    That is exactly what happens. Once the original HD box is tagged as being upgraded, it's no longer eligible. Otherwise, D* would have to continue to exchange the same box over and over and over and over again.

So when an upgrade is done, the installer either takes the old box back with them or lets the customer keep it but at that point that specific box is tagged as no longer eligible to be swapped.

19. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    That is correct, just recently the information was put on channel 77, but for the past 12 months customers with the wrong equipment have been sent letters, emails, been called, etc. about the upcoming transition.

However, customers that are listed as already swapped, which would be your situation if I'm reading your comments correctly, would not have received those communications as it appears to D* that the HR10-250 is just a SD DVR at this point.

20. Satelliteracer

Dec 6, 2006
    Yup, and TNT, HD NET, HBO, etc all have MPEG4 versions while still having MPEG2 versions in the 70's and 80's. Those channels are next as the last few customers that haven't exchanged their hardware are given these last notifications.