Channel 9 WMUR showing up on guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BWELL316, May 10, 2011.

1. BWELL316

BWELL316 Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I live in the Lewiston/Auburn/Portland area of Maine, and in recent days channel 9 out of Portsmouth, NH has shown up on my channel guide. It has also shown up on the guides of others who have Directv in my area. The programming is always blacked out(727 message), but it still shows up in the guide. Any one know why?

2. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    I also have that same problem. KEYC 12 out of Mankato Minnesota show up on my guide and it alway blackout.

3. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Hmmm wonder what's going on.

4. paulsonj72

paulsonj72 AllStar

Oct 21, 2010
    Extreme...
    Same thing here and I know FOR A FACT I don't live in the Mankato DMA. That DMA is ranked like 199th out of 210 in the U.S. and consists of like 4 counties in southern MN. In the guide though it is listed as being out of Minneapolis MN.

5. cnmurray8

cnmurray8 Legend

Jun 19, 2008
    I know that WMUR is in the Boston DMA but is significantly viewed in the NH counties not in the Boston DMA. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

6. BWELL316

BWELL316 Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm way outside of the Boston DMA, which is why I found it odd. Friends that live in nearby towns have noticed it as well.I want to say it's been about a week and a half.

7. cnmurray8

cnmurray8 Legend

Jun 19, 2008
    That is strange. In the past when I use the score guide from the apps it brings me to a channel I don't get. For example during march madness when I pushed to go to the cbs game it would take to to WCAX from Burlington VT. The game would be blacked out. Then I would go directly to WBZ and I had the game. My box would take me to WCAX but that channel never showed in the guide.

8. twistedT

twistedT Icon

Jan 11, 2007
    BWELL its called "Neighboring Local Channels" or "Significantly Viewed Channels". Say if you happened to live in Jefferson New Hampshire you would qualify for Portland/Auburn DMA, but now with that new law you can get locals from the other direction which is the Boston DMA. Directv is currently only offering them the one channel which is ABC WMUR out of Boston. Punch in zip code 03583 or do a search on the Directv website for "Neighboring Local Channels". It must be showing up in everyones guide because of a glitch.

9. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    its a glitch in the system. The issue is North Mankato (where KEYC studios are) is in Nicollet county which is in the Minneapolis DMA (weird but true)
    So in North Mankato (56002 & 56003) you get Minneapolis locals (per your DMA) AND KEYC (as Sig viewed). So anyone in the Mpls DMA it shows up but unless you're in one of those 2 zips its always blacked out

Ironically that 3 county Mankato area is weird. Depending on which county you are in you get one of 3 sets of locals

North Mankato (Nicollet) is what I posted above. All Minneapolis locals & KEYC
    Le Seuer County (the furthest north part of Mankato) get only Minneapolis locals (no KEYC)
    Blue Earth (where most of Mankato is) you get
    KEYC
    KSTP 5, FOX 9 & KARE 11 as SV (fill in)
    national CW (from Washington DC 384 remapped to 14)
    national PBS (not KTCA)

I'm shocked KEYC hasnt asked Directv to carry Fox Mankato (KEYC-DT2) in Blue Earth county instead of KMSP 9 (of course most folks are probably happy as KEYC-DT2 goes off the air at night and has lots of blocks of "Jewelry TV" (especially when no NASCAR race on Sundays)

10. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    see my post above. Since WMUR is available in the NH counties of the DMA, Directv just loads it for everyone in the market. Unless you live in NH it will always be blacked out