Channel change error message

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tyskol, Nov 10, 2019.

1. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi folks,
    I have a HR24/100 receiver with a software update Oxc24 installed on 10/31. Since then when I change a channel I am apt to see a message saying that my tv does not support the privacy measures and to change from HMDI cables to RCA type connections. I first noticed this when going from a 480 channel to a 1080 channel, but it’s also does this happens when going from 720 signals and from 1080 signals. Both my TVs are 1080s and the display is set for 1080p. I use a splitter. The “error message” goes away after some time (it varies). Any thoughts?
    Tyskol

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a keyword search for CLEARMYBOX. This will clear the guide data database and other things. Allow 24 hours for everything to reload.

3. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    You mention you use a splitter, but you don't say how it's used, so I'm going to guess a little.

Do you have two TV's connected to your DVR? And one is connected with an HDMI cable and the other is using RCA cables? And you get that message when the TV with the HDMI cable is turned off?

If so, that's the reason. It's digital rights management - to watch that content on the RCA connected TV, you either have to leave the HDMI connected TV on, or install a powered HDMI splitter which you will leave on instead to fool your DVR into thinking you have an 'approved' HDMI connection.

If that's not how you are using your splitter, or I'm way off with my guess, please give us an accurate description as to how you have everything connected. It could be your HDMI cable is simply failing.

4. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Happy to try this. It is resetting the receiver now.
    Tyskol

5. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Actually I have 3 TVs (my bad). The receiver is plugged into a 1x4 splitter which is always on. It is powered splitter ((Sewell splitter).

6. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    So, you aren't using any RCA cables? Good. If the reboot @MysteryMan suggested doesn't work, I would test your HDMI cables. One or more of the three may be failing.

7. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Thanks. I will let you know tomorrow.
    Tyskol

8. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Well it has been about a week or so. The “error message” returned after a day. It has appeared again for several days, usually when going from 480 to 1080 channels, as before. I will try the “clear my box” command once more and if the problem persists I’ll start changing HMDI cables. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

9. Dec 5, 2019 #9 of 11
    tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi folks. Just a follow up. Thanks for the suggestions I received. I have tried them to no avail. I am thinking now that my problem is actually with one tv; the distant TVs do not have the problem when changing channels. Only when the main living room tv is on alone does the “error” message occur. I have updated the software for this 2014 LED tv and when I turn it on, with another tv on, the distant tv goes blank but comes back quickly and no error shows with a channel change. A tv store “tech” said something about a “digital handshake” but went off to sell a tv to someone before he finished explaining. I’ll keep trying, but thanks for the help offered.

10. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    The tech in the store was likely referring tho the same thing I said in post #3 here.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would find better switch last models supporting HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 then connect modern TV to its OutPort#1.
    Or try best TV connect to port#1 now...