1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel Chart & Portable Dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DAVID A JOHNSON, Aug 17, 2010.

1. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    As you might notice from the thread below, I'm looking at moving from Dish Network to Direct. Where's the best place to find a channel chart either in alphabetical order or by channel number or both? The one on Direct's website stinks.

Also, I like to take a separate dish tailgating. I'd prefer it to be in high definition. How hard is the slimline 5lnb dish to peak on a portable setup.

Your thoughts and encouragement are greatly appreciated.

As I said below, choices choices choices, there are so many choices.

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Did you go here:
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packages/base_packages.jsp?_requestid=4910374

On the top right, click on print channel lineup and then select your package. This should give you a customized list for the statuions you receive in alphabetical order.

The dish(s) are faily easy to align given the azimuth and elevation for the zip code entered into the receiver menu's satellite setup screen. You should be able to get enough signal out of it even without a satellite meter to gain an adequate signal for reception. I'd recommend a satellite tripod with a 2"ODU" mast for mounting during your tailgating endevours.

3. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    A slimline 3 LNB mounted to the phase 3 dish works well for HD and cost around $85.

[​IMG]

4. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Now that's what I was looking for. Thanks much for the prompt reply.

5. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    What's the difference in that dish and the one that gets 5 birds? What channels will I miss? Atlanta locals here.

6. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    You won't miss much as most of the channels are on the 99, 101, and 103 satellites which this setup will get. There are some music channels and foreign stations on the other satellites.

7. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Are the local channels with Direct on spotbeams like Dish?

Said differently, if I take my tailgate setup to, say, Tuscaloosa, Alabama from Atlanta, GA, will I be able to watch local channels. Are the locals all on CONUS?

8. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    They are spot beamed.... so you won't be anble to receive your locals and you won't be able to pick up the locals from the area your in though the satellite when tailgaiting (unless you have an am21 with some sort of ota antenna aswell).

9. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Is that HD and SD locals?

10. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    I think the ATLANTA spotbeam will cover Tuscaloosa, both SD on Sat 101 and HD on Sat 103. May need a full Slimline rather than a "converted" phase III but the spots are available. Spot won't go much farther west,however.

Doctor j

11. DAVID A JOHNSON

DAVID A JOHNSON Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    Direct's Atlanta spot appears to be much much bigger than Dish's. You're right, it'll reach all the way to Jacksonville, FL too. Good for me.