1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel organization poll!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by webby_s, Jan 12, 2009.

How to organize Channels

1. Have an option to put "Channels" where you want them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Push guide button twice and organize that way

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. I will stick with my Favorites list and where D* has them

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Just looking and don't have opinion. :)

74 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    So all this talk got me thinking, lets just make a poll to see how many people would like the option to organize the channels where you want them in your favorites list, push the quide button twice and organize the channels that way or just leave it the way it is. And please if I forgot an option don't bash me, I am just trying to get a feel for opinions. That and you can post your thoughts below!

2. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I had an old Sony Std. receiver that let you switch the guide from Numeric to Alphabetical order. It as neat since I had just got D* and didn't know the channel numbers.

3. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I put the "channels" in parentheses because D* just maps them to the channel. We all know that the channels are all on transponders and be changed with a touch of a mouse click.

I voted for changing those "channels" to where I want them. I think it's silly to have a news channel or sports channel 300 channels away from the rest. If ESPN/CNN have payed D* a premium to have them at those channels remember, times have changed and we use a guide system 90% of the time and don't worry about channel numbers. Look at what Dish has done with the ViP 922, got rid of the numbers on the remote all together and in a blog on engadget I remember hearing the person explaining the new ViP to them said they are trying to "get away from using channel numbers" Like I said I saw that on Engadget's video blog of a guy demonstraiting the new DVR. BUT I also think it dumb to get rid of numbers on the remote so I don't agree with that.

4. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Oh ya and another thought.....

This is just for in the guide. Not changing the channel # totally. Just an option to place the channel in the guide where you want it, but still have CNN202 at 202

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Leave as is. I would like to see more Favorite Lists

6. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    They're never going to allow you to re-order. That would violate existing contracts (such as the one with CNN).

I voted for the ability to push guide twice like on Dish Network to change favorites. At the moment I'm using a macro in my third-party (Logitech Harmony 550) remote.

7. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    You want to rearrange channels inside the guide? That sounds like a heck of a lot of work with a very primitive remote. Moving CNN from the 202 position to, say 361 would mean dozens of arrow clicks. Using favorites sounds much simpler.

The new up-arrow with 9 quick launch channels is another nice alternative to a wholesale rearrangement of channels.

8. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Yes, would be a great option. While they're at it can they please add PIFL (picture in favorites list) so you can tell if you actually get the channel or not?

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Hmmm, my Harmony 880 has a media button where you can program in channel numbers.

But, having more favorite lists would be great.

10. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Add a web interface to do the channel management.

11. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm all in for the more Favorites lists

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I actually am really used to the sort that Directv has. I think they do a very good job grouping channels.

One of the reasons I really prefer Directv to Dish as Dish is kinda all over the place with some channels.

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Just looking but....

I have enough problems with my family not knowing where a channel is without the ability to move them around. Add that into the mix and I'm gonna loose it. :grin:

Where they are now is fine with me. I'll be willing to bet that in future channel locations will be customizable. When, I don’t know but seems like the logical direction.

I just wish I had more then two custom lists. :rolleyes:

Mike

14. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007

D* is bad too though. The news channels ought to be grouped together, not strewn across 400 channels.

15. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    That's my point. Would it be a hassle to "move" say CNN from the 202 mark to say 361ish, (clicking the down arrow 400 times) yes but in my eye it would be nice.

Be able to "move" my Fox Sports channel to where ESPN and the rest of the sports are, yes it would be awesome.

I guess I just would like to tidy up the guide so I am not having to use the number pad to jump from 206 to 668 back to 213 because I forgot to look at that channel. Just my $0.02

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Moving CNN (202) up to 361 won't happen. CNN's contract with DirecTV dictated that it be where it is. Now moving the 353-360 channels toward CNN could be done.

And the new Quick Tune feature on the HR2x boxes can help. Set it up for CNN and the for 360 or so. Then you can get close to where you want before surfing.

17. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    I just wish they'd group things by genre. IE: News, Sports, Movies, Kids, etc.

18. shenefie

shenefie Legend

Dec 15, 2006
    as long as there are shopping channels, the order of channels will not be logical. i would assume those infomercial channels pay to have their channel in a certain slot in the guide. but letting the user put channels where he/she wants? talk about a customer service nightmare....

19. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Legend

Mar 19, 2008
    Right on! The current approach is sometimes by genre and sometimes not. They are always moving channels around anyway, so they should take on the "big" project and move them into logical groups and stick with it!

20. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Also my point.

Someone stated before that I made it sound like I was only talking about CNN moving to where the other News channels are. I am not. I am talking all the channels. Another example:

I watch a lot of crime shows. So I like Crime and Investigation channel(275), A&E(265), ID channel(285), Tru TV(246). It would be neat to group those together. Also the channels more for woman, now don't get me wrong Lifetime and LMN and OXGN are almost right next to eachother but that's my point. Also the kids networks are well thought out. Why would it be so hard/purge contracts. Just let the user have the OPTION to do it. Then they can opt in and if it's too complicated the user wouldn't do it so CSR wouldn't get the call.