Channel Surfing Slowdown

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LDighera, Sep 1, 2016.

1. LDighera

LDighera Cool Member

Oct 16, 2007
    I am experiencing a five second delay between selecting a new channel from the C41-700 mini and the time the video for that channel appears on the TV screen. This time delay between channel changes is unacceptable for channel surfing.

My equipment:
    HR44/500 DVR/server, Software: 0xbf4 Aug 24, 2016
    C41-700, Software: 0x861 Apr 4, 2016
    AM21 Off-Air Tuner

Additionally, I am experiencing up to one minute delays between selecting an off-air channel and the time it (may) appear on the TV screen. Often, one or more off-air channels fail to appear at all on the C41-700.

Numerous other anomalous behavior has been experienced on the C41-700 including:
    Inability to change channels without powering down and back up. (lockup)
    Inability to change between double-play channels.

Should I consider trading the C41-700 for a DVR to overcome these issues? If so, which one? Should I upgrade the server? If so, which one?

These delays appear to be increasing in duration and frequency since the AT&T merger. Is there a new programmer team in place as a result?

Is the AM21 Off-Air Tuner still being actively supported (and part of the test suite for new firmware releases) by DirecTV? I am forced to use the off-air tuner as a result of the Local Market Regulation, so that I can receive PBS in Hi-Def, as the local PBS station is Std-Def.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    First thing I would do is a "reset" of the Genie and then the C41.

Menu, Settings 7 Help, Settings, Reset, choose the first one in the list. It is just like a shutdown and restart of a PC.

If that does not help I would call DirecTV and explain your problem to them.