Channels changing packages?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by jamieh1, May 27, 2015.

1. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Has Directv moved Esquire, Chiller. Sprout, Boomerang and Elrey down to a lower package. These are in the Ultimate package, but im getting them now and I have the Extra package.

Cloo and the Encore channels are not showing making me wonder if there has been a change.

2. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I see I'm getting them, now, too. No idea on the change.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. ClimateHawk

ClimateHawk Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Sophia, NC
  4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Some of us have a grandfathered package (Choice Xtra Classic) that has those in it. Its not a package you can move to though. I stay with it for some of those channels.

5. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
  6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I guess its possible they upgraded those customers to the Choice Xtra Classic by mistake.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the package has changed, it does not show it on the website. Those channels you mention are in Ultimate and higher.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I noticed that Sundance is now in the Xtra package. It used to require a premium. I don't know when this started.

9. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    A few months ago, it was part of the AMC Networks renewal. AMC and WE was added to Select and Entertainment, Sundance was added to XTRA, and BBC World News was added.

10. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    Dont see what they have to do with the extra package free preview. These channels are in the ULTIMATE package.
    Only thing I can think of is it may be tied to the XTRA CLASSIC and that may cause them to be on for all do the the free preview.

1 person likes this.
  11. ClimateHawk

ClimateHawk Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Sophia, NC
    It don't matter because I have Xtra and I'm seeing those channels too. This is related to the current free preview. I agree with jamieh1 and think that they may from XTRA Classic.

12. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    The channels are now off so they must of been tied to the free preview

13. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I wish Cloo was in our grandfathered package.. we got it at first and then it went away.. and I miss it..

14. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    When DTV runs a preview of Xtra it includes all the channels in lower packages like Choice and Entertainment as well. A side effect of this there is a "Preferred Xtra" package they now offer via call in only if you don't want sports programming but don't want to downgrade below Choice. I have the "Preferred Xtra" package and when I log into DTV's website and click change package "Preferred Xtra" is listed inbetween Choice and Xtra.

Preferred Xtra includes Chiller, Cloo, Sprout, Boomerang, Esquire and El Ray. So when DTV runs their Xtra free preview it unlocks those channels.

Although in a side note when I looked at the channel lineup recently I saw Sprout is now listed in the Xtra package as well. An image of Sprout in the Xtra package is attached below. If anyone that has the regular Xtra package can confirm?

9c99d36cf2b0802ea76488592b36abd3.png

15. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When I choose English Packages and Compare all Packages I do not see the Preferred Xtra package.
    Can someone tell me why ? Thanks in advance.

Also, when I look at the pic you posted, that shows you would get 35 less channels. That is a lot of channels to drop for such a small drop in Package Price.

16. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    When comparing packages first thing I do is select HD. I don't watch standard def channels. Then I say do I even watch those extra HD channels, and in most cases its no, but if I do is the extra cost worth a single channel or two.

17. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    The full Preferred Xtra Lineup is the same as the regular Xtra package with these small changes
    - Only 3 Sports Channels (ESPN, ESPN2 and Fox Sports 1) All other sports channels are not available
    - Esquire, Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, El Ray, Sprout and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries are added to the package

To get Preferred Xtra you have to call into Customer Service it can't be added online. That pic is only a small part of the total lineup because I was curious if Sprout was added to the regular Xtra package. There is a lot more channels in Preferred Xtra than in the pic I posted.

By switching to Preferred Xtra you are not charged the RSN Fee so you have to take into acct regular price savings + RSN fee = total savings.

18. paranoia

paranoia DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 12, 2014
    New England
    Boomerang isn't even in the extra package, or chiller either, you have to go all the way up to ultimate package to get it when I check the website of direct tv .

19. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The recently added Revolt HD on channel 384 doesn't seem to be available in Preferred Xtra. I'm thinking that it is an error with D* since this package contains all the national networks that Ultimate has. Supposedly there are two more HD's being added tomorrow and I wonder if those will be available.

1 person likes this.
  20. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    Right, Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, Esquire and El Ray are available in Ultimate & Premier. But they are also available in the Preferred Xtra package as well. When DirecTV has a Free Preview of the Xtra package they also unlock the additional channels in the lower packages. I have a friend that has the regular Xtra package and doesn't get those channels normally but when DirecTV has their free preview week he gets those five channels because Preferred Xtra is technically a "lower" package than Xtra. (See attached files below)

px1.png px2.png px3.png pf4.png px5.png