Channels I Get - When will it actually work correctly?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mogulman, Jul 11, 2009.

1. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    I don't use Channels I Get list too often. I tried it again last night. Noticed it was still hosed up. Showed a few Showtime and movie channels that I don't get.

I know we've been talking about this for 2 years. Can someone please fix it already!!

2. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I've noticed that too, but 99% of the time I use my custom guide, since there are so many channels I get, that I never watch.

3. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    You actually expect "Channels I Get" to show the channels you get? Are you new to DirecTV? They sure are lucky to have sports locked up so people overlook their general incompetence with software design.

4. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Make a Favorites list.;)

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    That does not solve the recording issue that CIG not working creates.

This is my one pet peeve with Directv. This should have been fixed ages ago.

6. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I'm sure someone here will disagree...I think it's pretty clear that DirecTV either can't or won't fix this problem. I think we've heard every reason and excuse for this taking so long how about DirecTV just takes it off the menu and be done with it?

7. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    I noticed it because I was trying to view all HD channels in the guide (not just channels I get)...

I tried changing my Favorites list to "All Channels"..

The guide then showed all channels..

Then I pressed Guide 2x to get to the guide category list and selected HD. I would assume this would be "All Channels - HD"....

Unfortunately, it showed the Channels I Get list + HD.. Then I looked through the list and noticed how wrong it was....

I thought I remembered Stuart saying they were working hard on Channels I get... to make it write. Seems like it is Hardly Working..

8. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Legend

Apr 21, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have to agree since my very first DirecTV STB in ~1995 could do it. They have plenty of higher priority bugs to address, but this seems like it should be low hanging fruit.

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I could not agree more. The "Channels I Get" "feature" :lol: is 100% useless. :nono:

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I totally agree with you on this issue.What has solved it for me is to highlight the program to record in the guide and press the R button.I have had no issues with this selection of recording.Also the main reason I do this is the lack of proper setup and operation of Channels I Get.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I refuse to believe that it is an issue that they CAN NOT fix....

And I seriously do not see any reason for not wanting too.. It helps them in now way at all.. Fixing CIG wouldn't show change all shows appearing in searches, as they do now as a marketing tool. ANd frankly, if they where going to screw it up on purpose, you would think they would do it on channels that actually had programing often, instead of part time RSNs....

I don't believe there is an excuse anymore, since I have seen them add and subtract channels several different times.

12. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Okay, they can fix it and they want to. It's just not done and hasn't been for years. Maybe they just forgot.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It's pretty clear they have the ability to fix it if they want to. Whether they want to or not, and for what reasons is pure speculation. The one thing that is true is that they haven't fixed it. The proof is in the pudding. They have the ability, they haven't had the will. Whether this is the result of it being a very low priority or competing demands in their financial interests is unknown.

I agree with Ken. If it isn't going to be fixed, take it off the menu.

For the autorecord feature to work properly, it needs to be fixed.

14. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I thought they had to change something to the guide data, but I'm wondering if that will break some of the old boxes. I have been disappointed in Channels I Get too.

15. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'll take it one step further. If they can't or won't fix it, they need to stop talking about how great it is in the demo on channel 114 & 201. :nono2:

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    This is what I assumed one of the issues was as well. I thought there were a few issues between how guide data gets treated between the older and newer hardware. And some people just won't give up those old boxes. I can see the stink raised if they fixed it for the newer models, but it borked the older boxes. There is never going to be a way to make everyone happy.

17. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Sure there is, fix the issue. :) Those that use the auto record feature will be happy and those that don't have a problem with CIG will never know it has been fixed for those that do so everyone is happy.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, I've spent more time being frustrated by this than most of you combined.

I wish I had a better answer for you, because I've tried very hard to get some folks interested in fixing this.

Here's the bottom line. It works pretty well. It doesn't work perfectly. There are still some channels that report incorrectly. It will never work in such a way to "only show results in searches on channels I get."

I have gone on to devote my efforts to other endeavors. This is... what it is.

19. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    What it is, is a POS.

There, I said it.

20. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    As an addendum -- if they can't get it to work the way the majority of sane users think it should work, then just remove the option -- that's the easy 'fix'.