Channels I get...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sartori, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Hello

I have my HR21 Pro configured to show only the channels I receive but for some reason all the Starz channels are showing up in the guide which I don't subscribe too...anybody else seeing this problem?

Thanks

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah.... I hate to say it but there are lingering issues with the Channels I Get system that go back... sadly.... about 5 years. I'd say, try to tune into one of those channels and see if you really do get it.

But in the end, I think you'll be happier setting up a custom guide list that has the channels you want to see in it.

3. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    It's amazing this problem is still around after so many years. I see 30 or more channels in the guide that are highlighted (not greyed out) that I don't receive. The access card in the receiver knows which channels I'm authorized to receive, so why can't the DVR software access this information from the card? Is there a security restriction preventing access?

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, I know. No one has complained more than I. I've gone to bat with some really high up people at DIRECTV and the bottom line is, it works as well as it's going to work. There have been dozens of complaint threads and of course everyone agrees that it would be great if you could custom-edit it like other DVRs but you can't.

5. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm .... sounds like DTV views this more as a feature than a bug.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Or they view it as something they've thrown enough money at. I genuinely don't know.

7. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    Thanks, it sounds like you are saying it's DVR software problem that can't be fixed or is D* purposely showing highlighted channels in the guide that people don't receive?

Bottom line, if the DVR software had true access the IRD's card authorized channels, then the "channels I get" would be 100% accurate.

I suppose it could be a marketing strategy......make people believe they get certain channels, they tune to the channel, realize they don't have access, call customer service wondering why and they pitch a package upgrade. :nono:

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I wonder how fast they'd fix it if EVERYTIME EVERYBODY saw a channel they didn't get, they called in asking why it was there, but still didn't order it? "We're sorry. Your hold time may exceed 30 mins because people keep calling in because their DVRs are telling them they receive channels they don't."
    Or maybe we should have everybody at dbstalk call in on a certain day to complain? ;)

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I wonder if all of the legacy packages makes it too complicated to bother.

10. tritch

tritch Legend

Jan 15, 2008
    The complaint might have reached the VP of Sales/Marketing and he said NO change! :lol:

11. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Yes I already did that, was all excited, thought I was getting some free channels....but no:rolleyes:

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Without naming names, the complaint did reach roughly that level. Folks, it is what it is... my suggestion is to accept that.

13. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Which pretty much tells us it's working they way they want it to-we call up to see why we're not getting X channel that our Guide says we do, and the CSR talks us into paying for it. Nice one Directv.

14. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Just a follow-up, it was working just fine till they started moving the channels around....

15. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I just checked. Mine's not. It says I get HBO on channel 70, as well as 501. I don't sub to HBO. I'm really tempted to call them once an hour, every hour, to find out why I don't HBO when my guide CLEARLY says I do.

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Far be it from me to comment on your choices of entertainment, but I don't know if doing that will have any positive effect.

17. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Or they might just add HBO for you (for a fee). :p

18. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I think "Channels I Get" is a useful start to a custom channel list, period. Look at it that way, and it's a fine feature. Then I walk through and kill the shopping channels, the channels I get that I don't really get, Logo, and, a big bunch of sports channels I don't care about, and all the PPV's. Makes a much nicer guide surfing experience that way.

19. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Yeah, it would be nice if CIG would work better but in the end I don't think it is worth making too much of a fuss over. For what ever reason the issue seems to complex for them to fix or might just require too much continuous maintenance effort for DirecTV to get it working perfectly. Last time I looked at it the CIG was something like 700+ channels for just the choice package so I'd always been making a custom channel list anyway. A couple channels here or there that are extras to be removed isn't really that big a deal.

20. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'll second that.

With all due respect...thats BS. It's unacceptable that the powers that be want to advertise a feature over and over, but don't have the frakking thing working. To be thats either pure incompentence on someone(s) part or just plain old laziness. Perhaps a lot of both.

They either need to get off their asses and fix it, or stop advertising it in their instructional videos. :mad: