1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channels Order/Directv interactivity

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Renard, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I have some questions regarding the channels numbers. I found really weird for example that CNN, Headline News are on channels 202, 203, and all other news channels such as Fox News are on the 300 channels :eek2: :icon_stup . Why ESPN channels are on 200 channel range, and the other sports channels are on 600 channels range :whatdidid :icon_lame :scratch:
    I do have another complain concerning Directv interactivity, it's really poor, what a joke channels 102, 104 (News mix, Sport mix), you can only chose 8 channels per page.:icon_lame .
    I was living in Europe before and i can tell you that European providers have a SUPERIOR interactivity choice than Directv. They have channels mosaic with 32 channels per page, where you can move the square and listen where the square is, then press OK and you could go on the selected channels (see pictures). On Directv only 8 channels per page :nono2: :eek2: :(
    I think Directv should do something about it, and give us something better than 2 mosaic channels and a so so ACTIVE menu.
    Hopefully they are going to reorder channel numbers, and give us better interactivity
    Hopefully it is not going to be the same for the upcoming HD channels;)

2. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I can't speak much to the mosaic. Most likely, they are just trying to be better than their competitors, and as far as I know cable and Dish don't offer any type of mosaic. So at least we've got something.

As far as the channel order, it's been mentioned around here a lot. But it appears to be a contract thing. The channels in the low 200's either paid money or had it in their contract to be listed their as they are more likely to be watched by someone who is scrolling through the channels. I'd like to see all the sports channels together as well, but I believe this is the reason it is the way it is.

3. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    What the he** size TV do you need to view 32 channels at the same time???

4. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    DISH has a mosiac. It doesn't have any kind of organization I don't believe, though.

5. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    That reminds me of "Back to the Future: II" when McFly Jr. calls up six channels concurrently. I wouldn't mind having two or three, especially during football season ... but six, much less 32? :eek2:

:goodjob:

6. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    DIRECTV groups "mix" channels by category. DIRECTV doesn't really have more than 8 good sports or news channels.

FYI, DIRECTV gets the same tools from the same provider that CANAL+ does, they just don't utilize them as much.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I like the idea of having more channels shown on a mosaic screen, but I can't really see when I would use it. Maybe if there's huge breaking news I would go to the News Mix channel, but outside of sports, most of my viewing is time-shifted, so I'm really not the best audience for any mosaic channel anyway.

8. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Interactivity has been really slow to take hold in the US as you can see. This is D* second atempt at it. The first was WINK. The channels numbers are because of contracts. ESPN CNN want to be in the low numbers.

9. ITrot

ITrot Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    Nice reference!

10. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Renard,
    CNN payed D* a LONG time ago to be the "first" channel. Court TV was at 203, CNN Headline at 204, and CNN SI at 205. The ESPNs were next.

Even after the last big channel reorg several years ago, the CNNs and ESPNs stayed in their own neighborhood.

11. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well, i think they should utilize them with more capacity, because 8 channels per page is not a lot :nono2: :eek2: :confused:
    I think TPS (television par Satellite), Canalsat French, Canalsat Espagna, Canalsat Nederlands, Canalsat Polska, Tele+ (Italia), Taquilla(Spanish), have a better interactivity than Directv
    C'mon Directv, bring it on, and get rid off these useless shopping channels (more bandwidth)
    Directv and other US providers are really late concerning interactivity compared to Europe. :D :hurah:

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm afraid that as long as the shopping channels pay D* to carry them, they are here to stay.

13. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    yes, and they have cellphones in japan that make the blackberry look like a rotary-dial.

problem is, D* customers, upon hearing about any new feature or product, immediately begin to :nono2: demand it for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.