Charge $5.00 for Phone Call when Direct TV called me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Lefky, May 19, 2010.

1. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    I just opened my bill and noticed I have a $5.00 Phone Transaction charge. Last month I received a phone call saying I missed one payment. I signed on to my online bank account and realized it was true, so I paid them directly by credit card. They canceled the late fee since I have been a member since 1995 and have never missed a payment. They also threw in a couple of discounts I qualified for. But now I realized they charged me for the phone call. I wonder if I call customer server to have the $5.00 removed, I would get charged for another Phone Call, It would start a vicious circle of $5.00 charges.

Anyone else ever been charged for a phone call?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You probably got charged for paying with a credit card over the phone. Lots of companies do that but they usually tell you...

3. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    It's a vicious cycle.:D

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Isn't that the charge you see if someone orders a PPV movie by calling them rather than ordering via your DirecTV.com account or from the Receiver/DVR remote control?

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The CSR probably pushed a wrong button. :(

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, that's the only time I've heard of a charge for the call. But looking at the Customer Agreement, they can charge up to $10 for a rep to take a phone payment. That should have been disclosed though.

7. bigmike200587

bigmike200587 Mentor

Oct 24, 2009
    You weren't charge just b/c you spoke with someone. You got charged b/c you processed a payment. If you call in to get the phone charge removed you will not be charged another 5 dollars. The only time you are charged anything is making payment over phone 5 dollars Ordering ppv over phone with rep 5 or order ppv via IVR 1.50. I'm sure you could call in and get removed since you have been with the company for a while

8. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    in the cusotmer agreement, it is disclosed. One of the better arguments for reading the contract before you agree to the terms

9. Lefky

Lefky AllStar

Jun 22, 2007
    I called support and the charge was because I paid by charge card over the phone. What pissed me off is I had my bank's bill pay web site open while talking to DirectTV and was paying by that originally. Then the customer rep tried to convince me to pay immediately by credit card which I finally did since I had my credit card next to me also. The customer rep. never told me that paying by phone would cost me anything. I now wonder if the callers get some type of bonus by getting people to pay immediately by phone.

But there was a happy ending since support did remove the $5.00 charge as soon as I told them the story.

Thanks

10. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. But if you use the IVR system and don't talk to a live person it's only $1.50. And if you do it via remote or online it's no extra charge.

Apparently, depending on your techno-stupidity level the cost is indirectly proportional.

Of course, if your techo-stupidity level is higher still you don't pay $4.99/5.99 for a movie and get Netflix instead. :D

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Same thing happened to me last year with one of my utilities (Water). The worst part was that my bill was only about $30 and I get hit with a $10 charge for paying on the phone with a credit card. And like you, I had my bill pay window open at the time and could have done that way.

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I realize you have a smiley there, but the poster was paying his bill, not ordering a PPV. ;)

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    You weren't at the brink of service interruption because of the missed payment, were you? Bill pays usually take a few business days, so sometimes the pay-by-phone charge can be worth it for the boo-boo of missing a payment.

14. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    DirecTV charges you 5.00 if you pay your bill through an agent. Yes, they should tell you about it but they can go around and tell you it is in your customer agreement.