1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Brown Christmas show at center of church vs. state fight

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From Fox News:

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think my biggest issue is the aspect of children not participating being singled out. But in my experience, if you're not popular, they'll find something to bully you, whether it be your name, size of nose etc so really doesn't matter.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I don't see a issue. It was a "invitation", not a "demand" for the children to attend the performence.

4. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I don't believe for a second that the child would have been singled out for not attending. Kids don't attend field trips all the time and I doubt the other kids in class would care less. What they would care about is someones parents making waves and putting their field trip in jeopardy.

5. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    There is no excuse for taking young, impressionable school children on a field trip to an event at a church. Let the parents handle the indoctrination.

6. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Since the children were not being forced on the bus and made to attend the play, there is nothing wrong with going.
    My daughter's school choir will performing this Sunday at a local church! The horror of it! How can they make our kids do this? Oh wait, they aren't! I didn't have to give permission for her to take part just as parents had the right to refuse to send their kids to the Charlie Brown presentation.
    What do you about schools wanting to take kids to historic places which may be churches? One of my favorite field trips was always to San Xavier Del Bac.

7. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Please explain the educational value of this trip that uses tax payer funded resources.

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What if it was a mosque?

9. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Exactly. Many Christians that support children who attend public schools taking part in field trips or other school activities that have associations with religious aspects would cry foul over anything pertaining to a mosque or religion that they don't deem as being equal to their own. The same problems exists with most religions. Too often believers use them to hide their own hate and/or intolerance.

10. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Parents were paying a small fee to help defer the costs to the taxpayers. This was a LIVE performance so I would say there is a lot of educational value.

The schools in our area send K-2 to live performances at a amateur theater in nearby community every year. Costs to the parent is $15.

SIGMA, If her school had been invited, I have no issue with it! After all, open-minded individuals understand that they are being invited to sing holiday favorites and spread holiday cheer just as this play is suppose to do.

11. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    How does it being live provide any educational value? That time would be better spent in the classroom.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There is value in the Arts, including theater. Growing up we went to several types of performances at the local stage theater.

I really don't believe other students would have singled out a non-participant, just that if it did happen, it's one of those things where they find something to get under your skin about, because they have issues of their own, or don't like you anyway. At least that's my perspective after dealing with bullying of my own growing up.

Myself, I am not a religious person, but do watch the television special every year. I still like it. If I had any kids, I personally wouldn't shelter them from the other viewpoints (at least fairly "mainstream" ones), it helps them come up with their own decisions on the matter when they are old enough. Besides, discussions aren't any fun if both sides don't have a lot of knowledge about the opposing viewpoint.

13. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Some of the best field trips I ever took were live performances. One time we went to see Shakespeare which inspired me to take part in theater at a later age. In turn this also made me learn music which helped my acedemic career immensely.

It really bothers me when people think classroom learning should be confined to the three R's. There is so much more out there to enhance the overall learning experience.

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Our society would benefit from expanding from the 3 Rs to embrace the arts.

15. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    ...a Charlie Brown performance in a religious setting is not Shakespeare at your local theater.

16. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Why couldn't the performance be held in the school? That would have taken the religious factor out of the equation, since the Supreme Court has ruled that Christmas is a secular holiday.

And please don't get me started on that one.

17. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Within the show dialog, bible verse is quoted. From Wikipedia:

18. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

This would have required the church to transport, set-up, & take down sets and equipment at each school. This can create more of a mess then it's really worth.

19. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    You completely missed the point.

20. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    "Peanuts" always espoused Christian values. It was always done openly. Should the atheists be suing the parents of children being sent to see the play? Granted, Linus quotes the Gospel at the end, but by and large, it's a morality play, as are all the Charlie Brown shows. Should TV stations be sued as well for broadcasting these plays? Equal time for differing views?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.