1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Chat Summary - July 12, 2004

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Mark Lamutt, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 12, 2004 #1 of 100
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    The DBSTalk Charlie Chat Summary July 12, 2004
    By Mark Lamutt
    © 2004 DBSTalk.com and Mark Lamutt
    All Rights Reserved

It’s time for another Charlie Chat with your hosts Charlie Ergan and Jim DeFranco!

Special guest from Sirius Radio! Local Cities update! Question Time!

What’s happening on Capital Hill? Talk about the SHIVA…The solution is simple – allow Dish to supply network HDTV where it is not offered. (Sounds good to me!) Activity in the 2 committees working on it. Commerce Committee – customers ask us why can’t we get our network HD locals? Dish doesn’t have the copyright to do that like we do with the analogs. Legislation needs to be amended so that we can do that. Terrible looking graph describing analog grade b area vs. analog white area. HDTV signal area very small white circle inside the bigger gray B area signal. That does describe Denver very well… 2nd part of the bill passed by Judiciary committee – copyright rates will increase in double digits, but it’s specific to only satellite and doesn’t affect cable. Not fair to the satellite side or to satellite viewers. Use the dish website to contact your local congressmen – http://writecongress.dishnetwork.com or www.echostar.com The website is also available on channel 136. You can make a difference!

Local Channels:

4 new services since the last chat –
    6/24 – Amarillo, TX
    6/24 – Joplin, MO
    6/24 – Youngstown, OH
    7/8 – Myrtle Beach / Florence, SC

Takes to 137 cities – 91% of US households delivering local channels.

Upcoming Cities –
    7/15 – Macon, GA
    7/15 – Wichita Falls / TX-Lawton, OK
    7/22 – Montgomery, AL
    7/22 – Charleston, SC
    Billings, MT
    Clarksburg, WV
    Charlottesville, VA
    Fairbanks, AK
    Greenville, NC
    Idaho Falls / Pocatello, ID
    New Orleans, LA
    Norfolk, VA
    Panama City, FL
    Puerto Rico
    Terre Haute, IN

(dates not announced – expect to see these cities through the end of July and August.)

New Programming

Horse Racing TV on Dish Network! Available July 14 on channel 404. In Top60 and above packages.

ITV free preview for the month of July – online games. Must have OpenTV receiver to play ITV games.

PPV events coming up:
    Eastenders – New episodes Sundays and Mondays at 9:00pm ET on channel 451. Price - $3.95 (4 episodes). Monthly package available for $9.95.

Morales vs. Hernandez World SuperFeatherWeight championship fight – Saturday 7/31 live at 9:00pm ET on channel 455/470. Price - $39.95.

MLB Extra Innings Half-Season Pass - $119.00 or three payments of $39.66. Free preview July 15-19 on channels 625-639.

New Mandarin Chinese programming launched July 1st – Chinese Variety Pack. TTV on channel 689, CTV on channel 690 and CTS on channel 691. Superdish required. Price - $27.99 per month or $307.89 annually.

Question Time!

Email (Michael): Is Dish Network going to add the NFL Network?
    Answer (Michael Schwimmer): We’d love to, and are in discussions. Trying to add it in such a way so that it doesn’t burden the costs for customers that don’t want to watch the channel. We want to add it on an a la carte basis, and when they come around and let us do that, we’ll add it.

Email (Nelson): Thanks for new TV Guide channel. Will you add an hourly scrolling list of what’s on?
    Answer (Charlie): No, we have an interactive guide that you can scroll yourself. We’re planning on putting some meaningful information in the lower third of the scrolling screen on the TV Guide channel in the future.

Caller (Jack): Are you planning on adding any more HD programming this year?
    Answer (Charlie): Yes, particularly if we can find some compelling content. TNT big success for our customers and no rate increase. Bravo looks interesting. Other channels starting this year that look interesting. CBS in 13 markets, but we’re not allowed to sell that to everyone. We’d love to have the networks if Congress would let us. Olympics coming in HD, that we’re working on as a special events type package. There’s not a lot of compelling content out there. We’ve looked at VOOM, and don’t see that as compelling content today. When we put HD up, we really want it to be HDTV. We use the bandwidth to make it look very good. It’s not some upconverted stretched out stuff that doesn’t look HDTV. If you know of something out there that we don’t know about, please let us know.

Emails: Filipino Channel? CBC out of Canada?
    Answer (Michael Schwimmer): We know the Filipino channel very well. They are currently on a mid-power satellite platform and we hope to see them on Dish. Those discussions are ongoing. We’re also working on bringing other Filipino programming to you as well. As far as CBC content, I can’t speak to that. In the past we’ve tried to bring some of that programming over, but it wasn’t available – rights issue, not a cleared feed. We’ll certainly look at it though to see if there’s enough demand. If we brought it over today, we’d have to black out all programming that the CBC doesn’t have rights to broadcast in the US.

Email (Steve): Dish has digital video. When will Dish pass audio digitally?
    Answer (Charlie): We already do!

Email (Steven): Thanks for the Sirius Feeds! I’m planning on replacing my XM radio with Sirius in the car soon. Will you be offering FitTV at anytime?
    Answer (Charlie): Cost was too high. (Michael Schwimmer): Relatively new channel that Discovery owns now, and if there’s a way we can do it so it will work for our customers cost wise, we’ll do it.

Caller (Michael): In negotiations to add StarzHD?
    Answer (Charlie): Looking for 100% HD content, not upconverted content. Starz does have some HD, but not enough. We are discussing with them, but there will be things that come first before StarzHD. Olympics will be more compelling, so we’ll do that first.

Email (Greg in Montana): With impending NHL players lockout possibly coming, do you still plan on offering the early discounted price for the NHL Center Ice package? Altitude Sports Network has taken over broadcast rights from Fox Sports Rocky Mountain for the majority of sports in Denver. Agreement reached with Altitude Sports?
    Answer (Charlie): Yes, we will still do the early discount, and if there is a strike, we’ll offer a credit. No risk there. Talking to Altitude Sports, and if we can get a fair deal that makes sense, we’ll carry them. That one affects us most as we all work here in Denver. But, we have to have a fair deal for everyone.

Special Guest Time – Kid Kelly, Director of Pop Programming for Sirius

Sirius Video Radio…Dish channels, dish branded car unit and boombox unit…this commercial is way too long…

Talk back and forth. Charlie and Jim want to talk about Kid. Kid wants to talk about Sirius. Banter back and forth…

Great content at Sirius…reading from notes…Jim must be big fan of Eminem – new channel signed to today at Sirius. NFL channels this fall. Every game every weekend. NHL, NBA, etc. Goes on listing lots of Sirius content and channels…Dish car unit costs $149.99, slate says monthly cost is $12.95/mo, Kid says monthly cost is $9.95/mo (annual subscription). Boom Box will be out late summer (around 6-8 weeks). Need to go to your local retailer, can’t order directly from Dish yet.

Email (KC): Recently found out you’re carrying Sirius channels. I’ve heard DJs refer to some of the Sirius channels that aren’t carried by dish. Are there plans to add these channels?
    Answer (Kid): reads off of lots of channels off a card, and says we will have to look into that for you.

Giveaway time: For a Sirius radio car unit! Trivia question – What Italian Stud and romance novel model is the voice of Sirius Love Channel (channel 6003)? I can’t believe it’s not butter. Call in to win the radio and a yearly subscription.

Email (Dennis): What’s going on with the software update for the 522? When will it be sent so that I can use it in the single user mode?
    Answer (Charlie): Rolling basis software updates. Jan Johnson – software being downloaded tomorrow morning at 2:00am for the first 5000 522 receivers. Will take about 30 days to send it to everyone.

Email: Name based recording?
    Answer (Charlie): Today we record by time, software will be changed so you can order a season ticket to record by title. Based on viewer comments.

Now video about the HDTV giveaway. Same video as last month.

Winners of the HDTV giveaway drawings notified by certified mail, and have 14 days to respond.

Upgrade Offer

Dishmover program – contact us. Leave dish at old place, take your receivers. We come out and install a new dish for you. Commit to 1 year, and we move you for free.

Existing customer offers:
    Dish’n Up
    No Equipment to buy
    $0 activation fees
    No Commitment
    Shipping/Installation fees apply ($50-$99) unless receiver swap ($24.99 shipping charge)
    Call 1-800-333-3474 or go to website
    Standard, DVR, HDTV receivers all available
    More about it on future shows!

Winner from the giveaway – Ron Rosenbaum from Oregon knew the answer was Fabio!

Caller (Stewart): 6 months ago upgraded from a 6000 to an 811. Still don’t have channel 100. Where is it?
    Answer (Jan Johnson): 811 update coming up very soon. It was actually scheduled to come up sooner, but there was another priority issue that came up that forced this update to be pushed out (sound familiar 921 owners?). It is the next priority item. It’s currently in test now, but don’t know a date. Probably on the Tech Forum next month.

We’re out of time! Tech Forum next month – August 9th, 9:00pm ET. Next Charlie Chat on September 13th. Thanks for joining us!

2. Jul 12, 2004 #2 of 100
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Great Summary Mark!

Geeze same old Dish Network half truths.

Yes it is a relatively new network, but the channel it self has been around for years, since at least 1997, when it was called America's Heath Network, then later renamed The Heath Network, then purchased by Discovery and it's name was changed to Fit TV two years or so after purchase, becoming more of an exercise and healthy living channel rather then general health information like former rival Discovery Health.

3. Jul 12, 2004 #3 of 100
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    A very compelling report, Mark. It should have been posted in HD. Too bad the CC itself wasn't compelling enough for me to watch until the end. :rolleyes:

4. Jul 12, 2004 #4 of 100
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    are they going to add this Eminem channel to Dish's line-up as well?

if so, any rumors on what channel number it will be?

5. Jul 13, 2004 #5 of 100
    Chris Walker

Chris Walker Legend

May 19, 2004
    I am glad this was mentioned on the chat tonight, but come on E* get this done before NFL season, they are going to carry preseason games. Add it to the sports pack if you don't want to put it in the America's Top packages, just give it to us! IMO this is the only channel Dish doesn't have that it needs to carry.

6. Jul 13, 2004 #6 of 100
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh dear God!!! [​IMG]

7. Jul 13, 2004 #7 of 100
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm not impressed with it. I wouldn't pay a dime for it.

Though I love my NFLST. [​IMG]

8. Jul 13, 2004 #8 of 100
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My money is on 41 / 6041.

(But it's only a penny bet. :lol: )

Memo to Charlie:
    If a Sirius channel greater than 99 is mentioned, it DOES NOT map to the 61xx range on Dish Network. The 65 music channels E* carries are numbered 6001-6099. E* does not carry Sirius program channels above 99.

JL

9. Jul 13, 2004 #9 of 100
    angiecopus

angiecopus Legend

May 18, 2004
    Horse Racing tv, don't we already have a horse racing channel?

10. Jul 13, 2004 #10 of 100
    syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    So, the single mode upgrade for 522's are starting to be rolled out? cool....now, if only NBR was finished....

11. Jul 13, 2004 #11 of 100
    Wayne

Wayne AllStar

Jul 1, 2003
    Dish currently has TVG, which only has rights to air races from some of the major horse tracks. Horse Racing TV has the rest of these major tracks. So now just about all horse races can be seen from home or in my case from the horse farm I work for.

12. Jul 13, 2004 #12 of 100
    JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    :rolleyes: Is this guy for real???????? What idiot would say this? It's gotta be a plant. :rolleyes:

Next email: Charlie, thanks for cashing my check each month in a timely manner. I hate having outstanding checks when I reconcile my bank statement. :rolleyes:

13. Jul 13, 2004 #13 of 100
    ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Well it seems to be the same O same O! Was very disappointed in his tap dance on new HD stuff. Don't want to be putting up that "upconverted" bull, only original. What the h*ll is HD Movies, HBO, & Showtime HD? Another way of saying "we aren't doing anything for you"! This has been the same old sorry story for over 6 months now.
    I swear if someone took the work "compelling" out of his vocabulary he would be a mute!
    Personally I'm now watching my local cable company. They have 2 of the major networks in HD and more overall channels of HD than dish. If they get the other two networks up and running and their HD DVR squared away then it's looking to be good bye Dish and my 921 goes up on ebay...

14. Jul 13, 2004 #14 of 100
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    God, I'm tired of the hits on VOOM. Dish Network is really getting on my nerves.

15. Jul 13, 2004 #15 of 100
    Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    Does Charlie's ability to practice the bizarre art of BS speak know no limits? TNT is a big success and has compelling HD content? What drugs is Charlie taking? TNT HD is one big SD upconvert stretch factory. People are complaining about this, but according to Charlie, it's a big success. He says he really wants HD channels to be HD, yet he goes with TNT. He's either incredibly hypocritical or he's incredibly stupid and naive.

And what does it mean when he says VOOM is compelling. VOOM is a provider of the same HD channels Charlie could add, except for VOOMs original HD channels. What a stupid statement for Charlie to make. If VOOM had an HD PVR, I'd switch from Dish to VOOM so fast, Charlie's head would spin even faster than it already is.

With every CC, Charlie continues to prove to me what a total jerk he is. I used to have a great deal of respect for him. Now I see him as an outright liar or someone who just has no clue to what he's talking about.

16. Jul 13, 2004 #16 of 100
    ggw2000

ggw2000 Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    You hit that one right on the old head :lol: . I feel exactly the same way!

17. Jul 13, 2004 #17 of 100
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    That reminds me of someone else I've seen on TV. I just can't put my finger on who it is. I'm sure it'll come to me.

18. Jul 13, 2004 #18 of 100
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Call your bookie...hehe :D Tell him every Thursday is OTB night at your place. :lol:

Jason

19. Jul 13, 2004 #19 of 100
    fjerina

fjerina AllStar

Dec 20, 2003
    Too bad the software problems with the PVR 921 were not discussed and what future fixes and upgrades were planned by Dish for that unit.

20. Jul 13, 2004 #20 of 100
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    That'll happen next month again with the Tech Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.