1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Charlie Jade" on Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by RunnerFL, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 31
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Is anyone else going to be checking this show out?

Part of me says that the show sounds way to hokey but part of me thinks it may be good Sci-Fi.

For those of you who don't know about the show here's the description:

(from Sci Fi's web site) Charlie Jade (Jeffrey Pierce, The Others, West Wing, JAG) is a rogue private detective in a world dominated by greedy multinational corporations. When Charlie sees the corpse of a beautiful young woman, he realizes she embodies the impossible: She has no identity, something inconceivable in Charlie's world. While tracking her suspected killer, the trail leads Charlie to a secret desert facility. A massive explosion propels him into a parallel universe that seduces him with its similarities and baffles him with its differences. Charlie is soon drawn into a conflict that not only involves his home universe and the won he now inhabits but also includes a third universe. This one is pristine and pacifist with unsuspected terror at hits heart.

http://www.scifi.com/charliejade/

2. Jun 4, 2008 #2 of 31
    blakevh

blakevh Cool Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Charlie Jade is pure Science Fiction brilliance. It does not spoon feed you and I highly recommend it.

3. Jun 4, 2008 #3 of 31
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    "and the won he inhabits"

It made me smile, at least. :)

I'm always looking for new SciFi, so I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 31
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Have this set for recording. I like Jeffrey Pierce, but this description is what created enough curiousity in me to set the recorder (not really much of a spoiler, but rules is rules):
    From TV.com:

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 31
    Kurgan

Kurgan AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    Sounds like Sliders meets Flash Gordon!

I'm interested enough to record the pilot. We'll see what happens from there.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 31
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Oh yea I'll be watching it. I can finally watch it in good quality vs. Bit Torrent.

The show is actually a couple years old, it's from South Africa and only been broadcast in SA, the UK and Canada.

It was originally not broadcast in the US because the US cable networks felt it was "too smart" for the American audience. And in many ways it is.

The thing to keep in mind is that it starts out very slow and you *will* be confused until around episode 5 or so. And you really need to pay attention to everything that happens. If you look down for 10 seconds to eat a scoop of ice cream you may miss a key clue.

Also know there was only ever one season produced. They had no money to make a 2nd season. So there is nothing for SciFi to cancel thankfully. But if it does well on SciFi that may free up some money to make a 2nd season.

By the way, the producer was interviewed on the Slice of SciFi podcast last week. Good info. http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/06/01/slice-of-scifi-163/
    He was also interviewed a year or so ago when the series was done in South Africa.

Anyway, here ends my Charlie Jade geek fest...

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 31
    RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    wow, some great information. I definitely be checking it out now.

Thanks guys!

8. Jun 5, 2008 #8 of 31
    RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I had all ready set the DVR for this show. Now that I know what it is about it will be great!:D

9. Jun 5, 2008 #9 of 31
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Weird that the description shows an original air date of 2006. Guess that must be from Africa, eh?

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It's one of the previous showings. SciFi has made this mistake before with Stargate by putting the OAD as the Canadian air date which caused season passes (even on Tivo's) to not function if you had first runs only. So be sure your series links are set up for both repeats and first runs.

Here is the Wiki entry on Charlie Jade. Note there are spoilers farther down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade

The original air date was actually April 16, 2005. So the show is actually 3 years old now. Here is a summary:

11. kblee

kblee Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Anyone know if this will be shown in HD?

12. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Since it was done by Canada and South Africa I think there isn't much of a chance that it will be in HD.

Nothing against those countries, btw, I just don't think are chances are good.

13. MrMojoJojo

MrMojoJojo Legend

May 22, 2008
    I'm thinking that if it isn't it may be because of when it was created (2005), which was before the HD stuff really started kicking off.

14. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    I set it to record few days ago.:D

15. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    What's up with no repeats of the premiere, before the 2nd episode airs?

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So, is this an original SciFi series as they are touting? It seems that this show has already aired before, although not in the U.S. The wife even thought I was watching another BBC import at first.

BTW, the premiere was pretty good. I'll definitely be keeping it in my SL.

- Merg

17. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    This one didn't hook me for some reason.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    It's a bit confusing at first but I was expecting that from bonscott87's post above.

I'll definitely be watching for a few more weeks at least.

It kind of has a Max Headroom feel to it, at least Alphaverse does.

I also found it interesting, just a coincidence I know, that Jeffrey Pierce was in 2 new shows this week. Charlie Jade and Fear Itself. [yes, I know Fear Itself is a one off for him]

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    DARN! DARN! DARN! I only noticed it 10 minutes beore it ended and no repeats. Oh well, I'll start next week.

20. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Anybody hear why it got bumped to the wee hours of Monday morning? No big deal to me as I was recording it anyway but it seemed strange.

While the first episode was a little confusing I got over that by the second. Possible spoiler:
    Anybody else catch the quick scene of a Deltaverse? Nothing in the promotional material says anything about a fourth parallel universe and I havn't seen anything more about it.