1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charter Sues DirecTV Over Bankrupcy Adds

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sarhaynes, May 12, 2009.

1. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
  2. GordonT

GordonT Legend

Apr 17, 2007
    Excerpt from the linked article:

"Charter claims the DirecTV ads infer that Charter's recent bankruptcy filing means Charter will soon go under, and that customers should flee to DirecTV in order to continue receiving television service"

That should be imply, not infer. Off topic, I know, but it makes me wonder just how little a journalism degree is worth these days.

3. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    That's not an excerpt from the linked article, and I doubt the poster at dslreports.com (who your quote/excerpt should be attributed to) knows much more about journalism than how to spell it, if even that much. :D

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Anyone have any links to the actual ads so we can judge for ourselves and not let some legal twits, or Internet journalists decide for us?

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In speaking with a highly degreed journalist acquaintance of mine last night at the local city council meeting, he suggests that a degree in newspaper journalism is on a par with a shingle to design buggy whips.

6. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I heard some of the ads for D* in Reno NV where Charter is the big CableCo. I don't recall the ads being real negative, just stating something about don't you want to be with someone stable and you know will be there....I know Charter says they will come out fine after the Bankruptcy, but I would think as a customer you'd still have to wonder what will happen, would you lose channels etc.

7. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    There are a great many unknowns when a company disappears down the black hole of bankruptcy. What (or if) comes out on the other side could be much the same or very different.
    I don't see what is wrong with D* stating that obvious fact in ads.

8. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Would you feel the same way if the competition started advertising that DirecTV is for sale once again?

It's all just negative advertising and unnecessary.

9. MIKE0616

MIKE0616 Godfather

Dec 13, 2006
    That "when" should be replaced by "If" as not all companies come out, they end up using the dissolution part of Bankruptcy.

Also, you have to love: "Charter repeatedly insists that customers will see no impact from the reorganization."
    They KNOW that is a bold-faced lie, as there will have to be some changes made in order for them to come out of Chapter 11. Any company that files Chapter 11 and comes out without ANY changes will soon be dissolved. :D

Not a fanboy here, but D* will win this suit, easily.

10. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    Well, Fear does sell. We elect our governments with much of that same tactic!!! Not taking a side, as they mostly all are guilty.

11. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    Could be the reason why they refused to sign up for Cox Sports TV. It is a much in demand station that carries Louisiana college and pro sports teams. It is the only place to watch the Hornets locally yet Charter ticked off their customers by not resigning a pretty no brainer contract. I hate Charter and hope they go soon.

12. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    From Charter Communications Commences Previously Announced Pre-Arranged Financial Restructuring (their own press release from March 27, 2009):
    Doesn't that "imply" there will be at least some impact? :eek2:

13. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Does that imply shingles as opposed to shingle?

14. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    As misleading as most cable company's commercials are - claiming you need to get cable because of the DTV transition or showing satellite TV installers duct taping antennas to poles - you'd think they'd be a little embarrased to cry foul.

-- Roger

15. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I would call that a lie, because as far as I know, D* has not publically announced they are for sale. Whereas Charter has filed for bankruptcy.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Based on the BS in Charters ads around here, I would kick their suit as frivolous...

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
  18. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    Maybe people should read. Charter filed Chapter 11, which for business is a reorganization version of bankruptcy. Chapter 7 is the going out of business type.

Charter may or may not be lying, but legally they have filed on paper that they are REORGANIZING, not GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.

You can make all the comments you want, but since it's legally on paper, until Charter has applied for Chapter 7, Directv shouldn't have made those commercials.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The CEO of Liberty Media uttered a statement late last week suggesting that the Liberty Media move was to make DIRECTV et al a more attractive target for a big phone company.

20. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    The best DirecTV ads are those where the Herb Tarlek type cable salesman is at the board meeting trying to come up with a reason to still have cable.

Pointing out that Charter is bankrupt is certainly fair. It is.

I went last fall to my local college football game very early. People I was with didn't want to "tailgate" and we just went in the stadium. Video board was playing ads. Nobody was paying attention. Then came some ads for Comcast. The ones with Mr. T, Dan Ackroyd, Loretta Switt and other people who were famous when Ronald Reagan was President. People actually quit what they were doing to laugh. The town (and the dorms) have Comcast, ex-Adelphia, and know what that means. Comcast and others spew out outright lies about rainfade.

I guess they have to say something. Hey, its superior in all respects to our product is not much of a slogan.