1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat room peep wrote I need a new antenna.

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by SeaBeagle, Apr 17, 2015.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I was told that I need a new antenna to avoid interruption. I purchased mine on eBay many months ago. It would be a pain to take the aerial down fold up and send back to the seller.

Plus I doubt the seller will refund me at this late time.

I love as told local channels will not work unless I change aerials this would be for FREE I was told.

I never heard anything about local stations not working with a regular off air aerial before.

I wrote back that I would wait to see if the local stations keep working or not. Then I will change if not.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    As mentioned in a thread started last year in the main DISH forum, DISH is requiring subscribers to update their receivers and some subscribers to have their dishes changed in order to keep receiving channels via satellite.

There is no requirement to have or change OTA antennas. The requirement (for select markets) is to change to an Eastern Arc antenna.

If you are one of the affected customers DISH will have contacted you via mail, phone and email ... whatever contact information they have for you. DISH will provide the upgraded receiver(s) and dish installation for free. All it costs you is your time.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And if you wait until they shift over, you and potentially a lot of other people will be calling to get the new equipment. That could result in delays for you getting your locals back.

Call now to schedule your free equipment change.

4. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I get my local channels from the OTA thingie hooked to the hopper.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps the person in the chat room was confused?

6. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    The only reason that one would have a reception problem of OTA channels would be is you had the wrong kind of antenna. Of which the old Yagi's are still the best, even though the word was that they needed to be replaced. BS. You need to make sure that the antenna that you use is HiVHF (7-13) and UHF (14 and up). Many markets have channels 7-13 on HiVHF that a regular UHF antenna will not always pull in. In Denver years ago all the main networks did a channel shift to the right. This allowed NBC and ABC to stay in the VHF band and not have to spend millions to move their nationwide network to UHF with all the others. Of which was the basis for everyone needing a new UHF antenna. Wrong. Now I am noticing that these HiVHF channels now have UHF duplicates. Guess the scam backfired on them.

One thing I did notice was that using the same antenna I got great signal strength with the HwS and horrible with our old 722 and 625. We were constantly told that it was our antenna. Once I got the USB OTA adapters and hooked them up, I got 100% on all channels. Guess it wasn't my antenna after all.

What I did during the "conversion":

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16650]

which the Yagi on top would still work great. I just like the low profile and look of the CS4.

Once I realized the hype was just that I use:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:15578]

The manufacturer of the lower antenna has a new one that has little VHF dipoles on it as well as an add on kit for my antenna. I don't need it.

7. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    That is what I thought. The OTA TV signals are fine. I could write this is a sales pitch but, this is something for free.

8. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Could be true.

9. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    There are still stations broadcasting on LoVHF channels 2-6. The CBS outlet in the Albany, NY market on RF channel 6 is one of them, and there are more in other parts of the country. Las Vegas has a station on RF channel 2 as I recall.

10. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I'm noticing more broadcasters all over the lower spectrum also. A couple of my TV's show what channel a channel is actually broadcasting on and what the spoof channel number is. It's pretty interesting. I guess what with the initial allowance of the HiVHF utilization, when all stations and networks were to move to UHF, that sooner or later stations would start using the lower bands again. I know that here in Denver it's not watched well. I had a channel on my modulator system set to 33 for years and then all of sudden Telemundo started broadcasting on 33. I called local and national FCC reps and no one knew of it and my tech buddies at the local NBC station played dumb. That would explain why the manufacturer of my antenna, of which I was a beta tester for, is now making Lo/HiVHF/UHF antennas, when for years they explicitly told me many times that it was unnecessary because there were no VHF channels anymore. Well 9 & 7 across the country are. For the most part. That was all part of the big mid 90's station shift across the country, so they could stay on VHF and not have to upgrade to UHF. Another indicator that I noticed was that when you see reports from remote local stations on the same network, if it's ABC you see a 7 on the mics and NBC it's a 9 with similar branding. What a racket!

11. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Whoever you talked to was confusing a dish with an OTA antenna. Before upgrading your OTA antenna, check to see what your reception is like.

While this is not ideal for everyone, before I installed a huge Yagi in the attic or roof, as was predicted that I would need from one of the antenna websites, I tested the reception with a small indoor simple dipole (ie: "rabbit ears") and I picked up all the stations I cared about from 60 miles away. In some markets people can hang a wire out of the back and pickup locals, so it doesn't really matter what you use as long as it satisfies your needs.

12. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    That is what I am thinking. No real reason to change anything. Actually this was in a DISH Network chat room so I never talked to anyone.