1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest way to hook up 2 houses on same property?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Mntatonka, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    I recently moved to my parents farm, huilt a house just across the driveway from them. They've had directv since long before it was even DirecTV. There's no cable or anything else out here, or even decent internet yet. I'd like to piggy back off their account if possible, or start one of my own and have them use mine, whatever it takes to get both of us the cheapest bill possible.

I know it's too far apart (150ft or so) for wireless genies to just work, so I assume I'd need a wireless bridge to make it work. There would be 2-3 TV's in my house, and 1 or 2 in theirs. I'd have no problem burying a cable between the houses.

What's the best solution for us?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    you are on a single property, and provded you are on a single account you can use two dishes one on each house. However this will only work if the main house has an HRe44 or HR54, then you can put DVRs etc in the other house as a single account. You will need to get an independent cotractor to install the second dish., and get a DVR from someione like solid signal. If the main house has an HS17 genie you can only use clients and a single dish .
    Yes, 150ft for wireless client is too far. And the cliebts are on their own wifi network so a wireless bridge won't work.
    One more likely solution is to used wired clients, not wireless, and use RG11 coax bwteen the main house and the second house. Use an HS17 genie in the main house. Youcan use an amp on the coax if you need it.
    You won't get DirecTV to do any of this for you.

3. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    We've got an hr44 now, and one wired genie c61-500.

I'm fine with a single dish I think, no reason to put another one up if we don't have to.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Getting the signal to the distant equipment could be a problem. Having the second dish helps.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What equipment do your parents have? Only one Genie per account, so since you have one already, that could change how you hook these two houses up.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see that post above

7. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    My parents have an hr44 and c61-500. Guess I should have clarified that they're the ones with the account and equipment now, I have nothing.

The dish is about 100feet away from my house. I can't really put one much closer due to the driveway being in the way, and the fact that their signal barely clears the hill behind my house now.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    RG-6 should give the signal on the distance, connect it to free output of LNB or to switch/splitter and test with existing C51

mauigolfer likes this.
  9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A 100 foot run won't be a problem. The best way to approach it would be to have a two way splitter off the dish, with one side going to your house and the other into theirs, where a second splitter distributes to what they have.

You would also have a splitter to distribute to the 2 or 3 devices in your house. Since they already have a Genie, you can't get one, you can either get clients that will piggyback off their Genie (and your playlists will be combined etc.) or if you want your own system you can HR24 DVRs and H25 receivers. Directv will charge for those.

If you want a Genie for yourself getting a separate account is the only option, but in that case since Directv would install it they would give you a separate dish and you won't have to worry about running a cable over to theirs.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You said 150ft in an earlier post. As a test, run 100 or 150 ft of RG6 to tghe second house. If it works, put a 2-way splitter at the end of the RG6 and see if that still works. That will show if you can have two receivers.

11. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    The houses are about 150 apart, the dish is closer than that. I ran a cheap cable from the splitter at the dish to the closest jack in my house and hooked their genie up and it seems to work ok. That's with a couple of female/female connectors in there. I'll try the splitter tonight if I get a chance.

So, I could buy a couple genies like what they already have from solid signal or something, and would I have to call DirecTV and add them to the plan? Would that cause them to need a contract extension?

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You can only have one Genie (HR44 or HR54) per account, you will not be able to add a second one. You can add more clients like the C61, which will share the playlist with their Genie. If you want to keep your recordings separate from theirs, your only option is standalone DVRs like the HR24 and standalone receivers like the H25 - which you will have to pay for (IIRC $199 per HR24, $99 per H25) - or establish a separate account.

13. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    I guess I meant the c61's when I said genies.

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Would RG11 be overkill for the length he has to run? 100-150 feet to the house, plus the length he has to run inside of his house (RG6)?

15. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Just remember that each client will use one tuner from the hr44. Since you are going to be in a different structure you might want to consider the hr24 instead of a client. You could keep a separate playlist that way and not use up most of the hr44 tuners.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  16. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Im not sure why this post is allowed, usually when something violates terms of service it gets deleted. This is clearly against terms of service. You would need two separate accounts what you are trying to do is mirroring fraud and is illegal. My guess is you have two separate power bills right?

SamC likes this.
  17. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    It's 2 houses on the same parcel. Heck, it could have been the same address if we wanted it to be.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No different than apartments needing separate accounts. Do you have separate power meters?

SamC likes this.
  19. Mntatonka

Mntatonka New Member

Oct 28, 2018
    No

20. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Do each of the homes have a different address? If so, sharing an account would be against DirecTV's TOS.