1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checked on Contract Fulfillment Date

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brucegrr, Nov 13, 2009.

1. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    It is often suggested that when a change is made in service, hardware, etc that you should check on your contract fulfillment date.

I did tonight. In late September I had a receiver replaced via the protection plan. My contract fulfillment date should have been March 2010.

Sure enough it was September 2011.

It took the CSR about ten minutes to research the matter and he came back and told me that I was right the contract date should be March 2010. He noted the account. (I assume that is all they can do)

He asked me WHY I was checking on this and I told him about the many complaints people have about wrong fulfillment dates and contracts being extended when they shouldn't be.

No plans on canceling but just keeping Directv honest.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You did the right thing and it looks like it worked out for you.

- Merg

3. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Have them send you a letter or email with the correct commitment date.

DirecTV incorrectly extended my commitment and put a note on my account with the right date. When I cancelled DirecTV months later, the note on my account mysteriously disappeared and they tried to charge me a hefty ETF. Fortunately I had the email to prove that DirecTV acknowledged the correct commitment date. Even so, it still took them weeks to get the ETF straightened out.

4. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005

I wouldn't say it has worked out at all. Just a guess, but I'd bet if he cancelled tomorrow the ETF system is automated and isn't going to find any "notes" on its own. Customer gets charged and then has to go through the hassle of getting the ETF reversed and hope the "notes" are really there.

D* needs to fix whatever system issue continually allows this to occur (and always to their benefit) or they are opening themselves up for a class action.

5. tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    I just checked, I replaced a HR10-250 that kept rebooting. The CSR said these units could not be repaired and sent out a HR20-700 (I have the protection plan).
    Called D* after seeing this thread and sure enough date went from Feb of 2011 (upgraded all SD boxes to HD)to Oct of 2011. CSR says that there is a bug in their system and that they are working on it. I'm just wondering how many subs this is affecting. Thanks for the heads up. I will check back in a month to see if their keeping it current.

6. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Now here's a question: Say you have 18-months left on a 2-year commitment, and then you add a receiver that triggers a 1-year commitment -- does that year get added to the 18 months, turning it into 30 months, or do the new 12 months "overlap" with the existing, making it a moot point?

7. Knowledge

Knowledge AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    Standard receivers generate 18 months of commitment, and advanced is 24 months upon activation. The only time there is a 12 renewal is when a customer bundles an account with a teleco service(ATT,Qwest,Verizon). So with that said, activation of a receiver will start a new comit on the date of activation. It does not add on to the commitment. In a bundle senario if a customer has an exsiting commitment that is longer than the 12 months then there is no added commitment.

In the case of a receiver that renews a commitment due to a replacement. Activation dates of receivers are retained and can be matched to orders for replacements and service calls. In this case the renewal is invalid and it is left to the agent to subit an ECF waiver to assure there is no ECF charged to an account upon cancellation. By default, systematically all activated receivers generate a new commitment. I agree that this is something that should be corrected.

8. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    OK, think what you are saying then is, if I activate a standard receiver two months after activating an HD, my commitment would still be 24 months from the date I activated the HD, since the 18 months for the standard receiver would all occur during the time the 24 month commitment was active.

I'm asking because in another thread, I talked about an error which caused a defective receiver replacement to be marked as an "upgrade," which triggered a new commitment -- but I already started a new commitment about four months ago when I added another HD DVR. So, there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing to argue with them about this, as either way, the end date is still the same.

9. Knowledge

Knowledge AllStar

Oct 30, 2009
    You are correct. If adding a SD reciveiver 2 months post to activating a HD/DVR then the comit for the HD/DVR upgrade stays the same.

10. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Just as a POI, all customers with mdu type accounts get only a 12 month agreement no matter what type of receiver they get (mdu account type customers can also get "no committment" accounts but don't get any signup promotions).

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It worked out in the sense that they admitted their mistake and corrected the issue (as much as they do to correct it).

I don't disagree that DirecTV needs to correct this part of their system as well as provide the commitment end date on both statements and the subscriber's on-line account.

- Merg

12. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    If a company is going to require a commitment, then it's only proper that it be something the customer has access to without having to call.

13. loudo

loudo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Central Maine
    I wish that DirecTV would post your commitment time left, on your account page on their web site. They used to do it but stopped, a few years ago.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This apparently stopped when they changed their system. It was at this time that they also stopped being able to update your commitment end date and could only put a notation on the account.

- Merg