1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chevrolet seeks help for its IRL program

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by blingbling, Jun 8, 2003.

1. blingbling

blingbling Godfather

Sep 6, 2002
    June 8, 2003
    By Bruce Martin
    SportsTicker Contributing Editor

FORT WORTH, TEXAS (TICKER) -- With some of the top teams in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series mired in the back of the field with engine issues, Chevrolet is taking action to turn around its program before it's too late.

IRL newcomers Toyota and Honda have beaten Chevrolet like a rented mule this season. Faced with a horsepower gap - and an even bigger perception problem - the American automaker is hoping to solve it with European engineering.

more...

2. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    OUCH! That must hurt, going to Cosworth to ask for help. I wonder if the Chevy bowties will have a big blue oval around them.

If IRL is going to be a big time series, they need to have the manufacturers there to compete. the worst thing about this is GM has always only piddled around with racing and never committed the big dollars needed to win. Maybe Ford will just give up on CART and come into the IRL

The GM teams are the ones who have been in IRL from the start, helping Tony form his league. It's just too bad that they are the ones who are suffering most from GMs engine troubles.

3. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Consumer Reports does give Honda and Toyota the highest ratings for reliability and they do have the longest lasting engines. Chevrolet does not have any above average ratings except for their Metro. Ford has a better rating than Chevrolet.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Not related, but the Craftsmen truck series looks like they might be adding Toyota as a manufacture. You guys know I don't like GM, but I'd rather see a Chevy win every single truck race then ever see a Toyota (or any import) on the track at all. NASCAR has been an American sport for decades, and IMO, adding import manufactures would be a disgrace to the sport.

5. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The Toyota Tundra is made in Princeton, IN. It's not an import...

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    If this is true....should anybody be surprised? I mean come on....we've seen this when they were in CART...we see them do it in F-1..why should the IRL be any different?