1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicago HD locals

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Link, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Has anyone else noticed a problem with the audio on ABC 7 HD?? It is like it gets stuck and makes these strange noises. I don't notice it on the other stations.

2. chuckflarhu

chuckflarhu Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    yup, I get the same thing, though I don't watch ABC too much. Usually its when my wife is watching desparate housewives or something so she can make another comment about me "needin" HD.

It is a very annoying sound.

3. hgeyer

hgeyer Mentor

Dec 3, 2004
    We only watch Desperate Housewives using OTA on our 921. During about 3 out of 4 shows, we'll get (at least once during the affected show), a few seconds - sometimes up to 2 minutes - of audio problems. Specifically, the voice track disappears. The music and background noise remain, but just no vocals. It probably has to do with how the Dolby 5.1 is mixed and transmitted. Frustrating nevertheless.

4. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004

I emailed the engineering department at ABC 7 about the problem.

5. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Don't watch WLS (ABC 7) too much but tonight I recorded 'Commander in Chief'. On playback whole program was full of audio glitches. Also had video problem early in the program. Since I haven't had such problems with other recorded programs, I suspect the problem was the source and not the DVR.

6. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    I changed the morning news that I recorded from ABC because of the annoying sound glitches from Chicago. I've seen/heard many problems with Desperate Housewives but have no problems with other channels. It looks like a broadcaster problem.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I tend to agree. There seems to be more problems with ABC than with other networks. AVSForums has a thread for each market where you can discuss problems (and other stuff happening) within your market. There are many many many posts about how "WLS was messed up tonight" or "WWMT isn't in 5.1" or "they forgot to hit the HD switch - again" in relation to a lot of stations.

Unfortunately a rebroadcaster (if via cable or satellite) or receiver is first in line to get blamed when something goes wrong. But in these early days of HD, stations are not 100% at getting it right. So it is nice to have an AVSForum thread to find out if one is alone.

8. Sal

Sal Cool Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I am getting similar audio and video glitches watching ABC in Boston (WCVB). It seems that maybe DISH is picking up the signal OTA rather than fiber? The signal breaks up and the audio stutters. Does not seem like an MPEG4 issue, rather more like the signal is getting "interrupted"?

All other stations in Boston work fine and actually look pretty good! Our ABC station does 720p, as does fox (wfxt) but that seems fine. CBS (WBZ) and NBC (WHDH) are bth 1080i.

Sal

9. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I hope E* adds WGN in HD by this fall in time for the new CW Network.

10. chuckflarhu

chuckflarhu Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    I hope they add WGN by tomorrow, so I can see the rest of the flaming baseball season in HD.

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Ha.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Add my vote for WGN but don't count on it in the immediate future. They're going to concentrate on getting as many cities up in HD as possible first. As they point out in the annual report, DTV has new satellites going up and has promised a massive effort on the HD front. I think number of cities served will dominate over channels per city for now in the competition. Adding CW stations, and maybe PBS, will have to wait until phase two.

12. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    I think the top 3 markets should be an exception with HD considering that WGN is one of the more popular stations in Chicago with a news department and a lot of sports programming as well as WPIX in New York and KTLA in Los Angeles.
    It also would be good to have WTTW in HD.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    E* needs to follow the rule before they can make too many exceptions. Yes, It would be nice to have WGN and possibly WTTW available in HD via sat ... but it probably won't happen too soon.

14. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Why is San Francisco getting KRON and KICU in digital/HD??? These are two independents with no high definition programming to my knowledge. What happened to only the four major networks???

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If they are not HD stations why do you believe they will be offered in HD?

16. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    They are listed as HDTV stations coming on the channel chart for satellite 129. KICU, KRON, and also KQCA WB from Sacramento.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.