1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicago HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scimeca, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Hello everyone...

I'm looking for the satelitte and transponder that the chicago HD locals are located on. I appreciate everyones help.

Scimeca

2. GFloyd

GFloyd Legend

Jun 3, 2003
  3. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    i appreciate the reply. I have D**. I believe im within the spot beam im just trying to verify that. I read many different things, and pretty much thought of a sport beam to be a 200-500 mile diameter. On my 103 sat i get signals on TP 1, 3, 5 all in the 70's. 2,4,6,and 17 all get 0.

4. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    please someone..

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    It should simply be in your program guide. No need to find out satellite or transponder.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If you are in "central wisconsin"... you are probably outside the HD-Spotbeam for Chicago...

As the HD-Spotbeams are much tighter then those of the SD.
    And if you are not in one of the designated zip codes for the DMA, you won't be able to access it either, as the access to the channels are controlled by your billing zip code.

7. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    i know what your saying. I didnt sign up for service in illinois yet. I am looking at buying a place in buffalo grove and im trying to find out if after i sign up for service in buffalo grove if i can bring a receiver back to central wi and get the chicago locals. I have a full service subscription here in central wi but if i cant bring back the chicago hd it wouldnt be worth me signing up another service. i would just be better off to bring a receiver with me for the 2 or 3 times i will be going there a month. I dont mind subscribing to another service and pay twice, but if i dont benefit from it, it wont be worth it to me.

Thanks
    Mark

Im more or less trying to find someone who has chicago hd locals and see if they ever bring a receiver up north with them. From my door its 200 miles to wrigley field.

8. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    In Buffalo Grove, you will have no problems getting it.

As you get closer to Milwaukee and get further from the boarder, you are getting on the edge.

9. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    thanks for the quick reply. Im assuming i could get the locals OTA, thats why I figured I could just bring a receiver from back home and still get the HD locals in illinois when im there and I wont have to sign up another service. But if I can get illinois locals back here in central WI then i wouldnt have a problem getting a second subscription and bringing one receiver of the 4 back here so i could get all of the cubs, bulls, bears games in HD. my zip in buffalo will be 60089 and here in wisconsin its 54982. I dont know if people use those for figuring out distances.

10. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    I don't think anyone really knows the distances, nor do they know where the sat is pointed, which you would also have to know. Either someone has tried it and can tell you about it here, or you'll have to try it yourself.

11. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    koz, thats what im thinking. Im just figured i should try and find someone who has tried it before i sign up for service and have a 2 year commitment. Thanks for everyones input.

Scimeca

12. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Too bad there isn't someone that has DTV in chicago that gets Chicago HD locals where one could be sent either way to work this out. Id just like to connect it to my dish, get the birdog out and see if it works. I just need to check it with someone who has Chicago HD locals. I doubt ill find someone but would be willing to work it out somehow.

13. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Have you called D* and asked if the proposed location zip code is eligible for the HD locals you want? More than the spot beam is involved. You have to live in the correct TV DMA and zip code for those HD channels. Those not eligible get blacked out even if they can receive the spot beam.

I am 200 miles from Seattle and 160 from Spokane and get 97 readings on the spot beam(99b) feeding them HD channels, but I am NOT elibible to receive these HD channels since I live in different network affilliate's market area. I don't get HD locals from the stations I am eligible for until D11 is up and they get my HD uplinks working. I will still have D*s SD locals well into 2008. I do l get my five local HD broadcast stations by antenna, OTA.

14. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Well I would have an account located in chicago Il also. Then I would just take one of the receivers from that location back to my house located in central wi. So if I can get the signal then i think i should be able to get the channels. Because it would be activated with a chicago address.

15. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Ah! I see you know about that. I was just concerned that you weren't aware about the need for the Chicago address and in for a surprise.

Good luck!:)

16. rrrick8

rrrick8 Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    ahha...love the picture rrrick

18. psweig

psweig Hall Of Fame

Feb 4, 2006
    I'm not sure about the "Chicago" address. Strictly speaking, I am not in Chicago, but I am in the DMA. I get all the locals. I think they are defining "Chicago" as "Chicago Area". Buffalo Grove is the Chicago Area for many things but I'm not 100% sure that's the DTV definition. :)

19. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Buffalo Grove is definently in the Chicago DMA.

20. scimeca

scimeca Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.