1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chickie in the hospital again

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Mike, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Aug 3, 2002 #1 of 27
    Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    KNBC reported on the 11:00pm PT Friday night newscast that Chick Hearn (long long long long time Lakers announcer) is in the hospital again tonight. Fell down and has bleeding in the head. Definitely not good news. Must not be on the wires yet as I can't find a link anywhere.

2. Aug 3, 2002 #2 of 27
  3. Aug 3, 2002 #3 of 27
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I love Chick, and until this news I wanted him to return stronger than ever as the greatest play-by-play man ever in my opinion. I really, really think it is time for him to call it quits and just focus on being healthy and spending his twilight with his family. This is sad, sad news indeed.

4. Aug 3, 2002 #4 of 27
    Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    KSPN (ESPN radio) is broadcasting the Mets game and it's in the 9th inning now. KSPN just interrupted the game (couldn't wait for commercial as it must be real serious :( ) to report that Chick is in surgery again. 2nd hemorrage now found. Chick had surgery already for one and survived that one, but is in surgery again.

5. Aug 3, 2002 #5 of 27
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats too bad.... Growing up a Lakers fan, its going to be tough listening to someone else... I wish him well... :(

6. Aug 3, 2002 #6 of 27
    Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Lakers announcer Chick Hearn in critical condition, new surgery ordered

By ANDREW BRIDGES
    Associated Press Writer
    August 3, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Longtime Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn was in critical condition Saturday, ordered back into surgery for bleeding in the skull.

A spokesman for Lakers owner Jerry Buss said the 85-year-old Hearn needed a second operation for a serious head injury, one day after falling in his back yard.

``The surgery improved his neurological condition. A few hours ago, however, Mr. Hearn showed some signs of neurological deterioration,'' Lakers spokesman Bob Steiner said. ``Tests showed a new hemorrhage and a second craniotomy is being performed at this time.''

A priest entering Northridge Hospital Medical Center said he was called by Marge Hearn, the broadcaster's wife of 42 years.

Hearn was taken to the hospital about 8 p.m. Friday after his neighbors saw him fall near his pool. It wasn't clear what caused the fall, Steiner said, but doctors did not believe Hearn had a stroke.

7. Aug 3, 2002 #7 of 27
    Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Chick Hearn has probably called his last game, doctor says
    By ANDREW BRIDGES
    Associated Press Writer
    August 3, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Longtime Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn has probably called his last game, his neurologist said Saturday after performing surgery for brain hemorrhaging.

``If he has a full recovery in terms of his motor functions he will very likely have speech difficulty, so I will foresee that he will have a difficulty to be announcing,'' the neurologist, Dr. Asher Taban, told reporters outside Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

Asked if the 85-year-old Hearn had called his last game, Dr. Taban said, ``unfortunately it's probable.''

Hearn was taken to the hospital from his San Fernando Home around 8 p.m. Friday after neighbors saw him fall in his backyard and called 911.

When he arrived at the hospital doctors found a hemorrhage inside his cranium, on top of the brain, Taban said.

He underwent surgery and when the operation was completed around 2 a.m. Hearn's condition appeared more stable.

But around 9 a.m. Saturday his neurological condition began to deteriorate and another blood clot was found, this one inside the brain, Taban said.

``This created a major brain shift, which is usually not compatible with survival,'' the doctor said.

Hearn underwent a second operation, which was completed around 3:30 p.m., shortly before Taban spoke to reporters.

Apparently, the second hemorrhaging was brought on by blood thinners that Hearn had been taking since undergoing heart surgery last year.

Taban said the pressure on the brain is under control but will be monitored. He was asked about Hearn's prognosis.

``It's not good,'' he said, shaking his head. ``I do have a major concern because of his age and because of the thinning of his blood.''

It wasn't clear what caused Hearn to fall, but doctors did not believe he suffered a stroke, according to Bob Steiner, a spokesman for Lakers owner Jerry Buss.

The voice of the Lakers since the team moved to Los Angeles four decades ago, Hearn is credited with adding such signature phrases as ``slam dunk'' and ``air ball'' to the NBA lexicon.

He called a record 3,338 consecutive Lakers games over 36 years, but saw his streak end last season when he had to undergo heart surgery to repair a blocked aortic valve. The broadcaster suffered a further setback when he fell during rehabilitation and broke a hip.

Still, Hearn was able to return to the Lakers in time to broadcast the team's run through the playoffs to its third consecutive NBA championship.

Hearn and his wife, Marge, are expecting to celebrate their 64th wedding anniversary on Aug. 13, Steiner said. Hearn's wife and a granddaughter were at his side Saturday, and Steiner said Marge was ``doing amazingly well, all things considered.''

``They're concerned but they're supporting each other,'' said Rev. Monsignor Carl Bell, pastor of St. Cyril of Jerusalem Church in Encino, whom Marge Hearn called to the hospital to pray with the family.

Lakers players and fans wished Hearn well.

``It's really unfortunate to hear bad news, especially with Chick because he's so spirited about being a part of the Lakers family and people don't identify the Lakers without Chick,'' Lakers guard Derek Fisher told KCAL-TV.

The only play-by-play announcer the Lakers have had since moving from Minneapolis to Los Angeles for the 1960-61 season, Hearn peppers his rapid-fire delivery with such colorful terms as ``no harm, no foul,'' ``the mustard's off the hot dog,'' ``ticky-tack foul,'' and ``faked him into the popcorn machine.''

During his 42 seasons with the Lakers, his unique ``words-eye view'' has provided the soundtrack for nine NBA championships -- one with Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain in the 1970s, five with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in the 1980s, and the last three with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

Whenever he believes a Lakers victory is imminent, he is known to say, ``You can put this one in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and the Jell-O is jiggling.''

8. Aug 3, 2002 #8 of 27
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The quintessential sports announcer. I think of Chick as the Bob Hope of Basketball. A classic legend. A great story teller. The consummate pro. Thoughts and prayers for Chick and his wife Marge.

In a sense, his wife Marge and the Lakers are all of the family he has left. He and his wife have buried both of their children, and I'm not sure if his kids ever had any kids. Very sad...

I am concerned that his role with the Lakers is one of his reasons for living, and if you take that away...well, you know the rest.
    I just read on ESPN.com where his wife has called in a priest to be by their side at the hospital. :(

9. Aug 3, 2002 #9 of 27
    James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Let hope he'll be there when the Lakers win their 4th in a row...

10. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Condition of Lakers announcer Chick Hearn worsens

August 5, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Veteran Lakers announcer Chick Hearn was near death Monday, in a coma on life support, his doctor said.

The 85-year-old Hearn's condition deteriorated overnight, Dr. Asher Taban said at a news conference outside Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

``I am afraid to say this is not very good news. I would say he is beyond critical,'' Taban said. ``You could call it grave.''

Hearn was hospitalized Friday after falling at home and hitting the back of his head, causing hemorrhaging in his brain.

After two operations, Hearn was reported to be in critical and stable condition Sunday night. But he took a turn for the worse and his organs began to fail, Taban said.

Hearn is the only play-by-play announcer the Lakers have had since moving from Minneapolis to Los Angeles for the 1960-61 season. He is credited with making phrases like ``slam dunk'' and ``air ball'' part of the NBA jargon.

In December, Hearn had heart-valve replacement surgery, ending his streak of broadcasting 3,338 consecutive Lakers games. That run dated to Nov. 20, 1965, when bad weather kept him from making a flight.

Known as the ``Voice of the Lakers,'' Hearn is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame and the American Sportscasters Hall of Fame.

11. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    I just read that on ESPN... Doesn't sound good. :(

12. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Al Michaels just did a live remote from the game in Canton to KABC for the sports guy Bill and everything was done in past tense as that is what Al asked before the interview and that is what was used during the interview probably for the newscasts before the game on KABC.

Nope! It doesn't sound good at all. I'm totally bummed! I hope he will be okay, but I don't know right now. Chick is the best! This sucks!

13. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Press Conference shortly on KNBC, KABC & KCAL from the hospital about tests done today. No brain activity and they needed to see if blood is going to the brain. Mitch Kupchak is to speak too at the press conference.

I'd post satellite coords of the conference for you Lakers fans with a BUD, but everything must be microwaved to the LA stations and nothing going to ESPN or whereever.

This doesn't sound good at all. :(

14. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    *sigh*.......:(

15. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Chickie died at 6:30pm PT tonight. All of the local stations here in LA and ESPNEWS with coverage. :(

16. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Thats just too bad. I'll miss his call on Lakers games.

17. Brian Rector

Brian Rector Legend

Mar 24, 2002
    It is indeed a very sad day for all sports fans. It was a pleasure listening to his call during the Lakers games when I had the NBA League Pass and also during the 1992 Olympics Triplecast.

18. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't even know what to say about this. It's the end of an era and his legend transcended sports. He was truly a great man and was much more than just an announcer. He totally revolutionized sports and how we talk about the game of basketball. He gave it his all and didn't even miss calling a game for over 3000 broadcasts. I don't know if anyone can even come close, let alone break, that streak. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans. RIP Chick Hearn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I have always been a casual basketball fan and when I was I rooted for the Celtics. But I know and respect this man for the way he announced games. I too will miss him.