Chiefs-Jags game blacked out on NFLST

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by the2130, Sep 11, 2019.

1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The coverage maps for week 1 showed single coverage on CBS last Sunday, with the late afternoon Colts-Chargers game scheduled for local TV on channel 46 here in the Atlanta market. That's also what the DirecTV program guide showed. I set my DVR based on the program guide and checked it right up to game day. I watched the Colts-Chargers game on my DVR Monday morning, but when I tried to watch the Chiefs-Jags recording on the NFLST channel earlier today on the I got messages indicating the game was blacked out. Any ideas on why it would have been blacked out on NFLST?

2. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    The entire game wasn’t blacked out. DirecTv had technical difficulties for a portion of the game and everyone received the blackout message.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Odd. I live in the Jacksonville DMA. I watched the game on DIRECTV and the free ST channel.

Near the end of the game a CBS production truck 'died' and both DIRECTV feeds ended. I went to my roof antenna and that didn't have the game either as there was no feed available due to the production van problem.

So why it showed up on your recording as blacked-out is weird.

dtv757 likes this.
  4. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    On my HR54, I got a message at the start of the telecast.indicating that all or part of the program was not available due to a problem at broadcast time. The message also indicated it was scanning for available portions of the broadcast, but nothing ever came up. When I tried playing it on my HR24, which is where it was recorded, I got a message indicating it was blacked out in this area. I still have it on my DVR - do you know what part of the game was not blacked out?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:29 AM
  5. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    I was flipping through all the games. I don’t know how long the blackout lasted. I’m pretty sure the start of the game was fine and they managed to bring the feed back in the 4th quarter I think.

6. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The telecast was on when I started watching it, but I had my DVR set for 5 minutes early. It went black before the game ever started. Looks like the blackout ended at the start of the second half. I was able to fast-forward to where it started again.

7. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
  8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    There have been a number of speculative reports on what happened. But power never went out in the stadium.

dtv757 likes this.
  9. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The entire first half was blacked out for me. And it was a blackout message indicating the game was unavailable in this area, not that there were technical difficulties. I went back and watched the Redzone Channel on my DVR, and they definitely had the CBS feed of the game. They did live look-ins on the Chiefs-Jaguars game no fewer than 15 times, starting 16 minutes after the scheduled start time and continuing until 1 hour 27 minutes, just before the half. There is no question that DirecTV had the Live feed of the game during the first half or they couldn't have done all those live look-ins.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Was any portion of the Chiefs-Jags game on your local CBS station?

11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    No. CBS had single game coverage and the Atlanta CBS station had the Colts-Chargers game in the 4:00PM slot, which I recorded and watched. I also make it a point to check the DirecTV program guide right up to game day, and it showed local programming ahead of the late afternoon game. It looks like DirecTV had the game blacked out in error for this market and then fixed the problem at halftime.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That would be my guess.

13. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The whole Chiefs-Jags game was on my local CBS station. I watched the whole first half and bounced back and forth to it in the second half. Never saw any technical difficulties during that game.

14. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, others have commented that they watched the game on local TV. It's pretty clear this was a DirecTV issue. From what others have posted and a Twitter post from CBS, the feed went out in the 4th quarter. I watched the second half on my DVR, and midway through the 4th quarter they came back from a commercial break and announced they were switching to a more competitive game. That is done on local telecasts sometimes, but it isn't supposed to happen on the NFLST channels.