1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chilling and surreal Six Flags video

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Nov 12, 2010.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, that too. I could almost hear the ghost of laughter.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I live near the Raritan River in NJ. Naturally, there is a River Road a stone's throw from my house that parallels the river. That damn river overflows it's banks every so often and causes an immense amount of damage. And yet people continue to live on the river side of River Road. And continue to get flooded out and then sell their homes a year or so after the flood and the poor souls who buy the homes get flooded out and the cycle goes on and on. People just refuse to learn.

The same might be said of New Orleans. A city that I like, but...

Rich

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It reminds me of the show on History Channel called Life After People.
    Show description:http://www.history.com/shows/life-after-people/articles/about-life-after-people

6. Barcthespark

Barcthespark Godfather

Dec 16, 2007
    That video is a true work of art. It really captures the sadness and creepiness of the park. Thanks for posting.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Replace the depressing music which something upbeat, like, "Whistle while you work", and we'd be expecting a work crew to pop up and get the park redy for its spring opening. Other than a couple of shreded flags, I saw nothing in the first two and a half minutes ( that's all I watched) that looked depressing.

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Homer took the family back to an amusement park he went to in his youth, but nearly all the stands were boarded shut and trash was blowing up and down the midway. I remember that all he found was a couple of "carnies" still there, and it reminded me of Salisbury (Massachusetts) beach - where I owned a pinball arcade back in 1974 - then and now.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    IMHO, whoever thought up that show should really seek professional help. I remain undecided if it should be of a psychiatric or spiritual nature, or both. It borders on open sciopathy.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Why? It's a legitimate and very well explained result of what our planet would be like without people.

11. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    They said that it would be demolished in January. I,m sure that it would be refurbished if the economy was better. If it is in an area that is prone to repeated flooding, may be it should be moved.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think it's better than some of the end of the world disaster "documentaries" they sometimes show. Some of them border on the absurd to be kind.

13. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
  14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Full Article: http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2010/11/offer_to_redevelop_six_flags_a.html

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Take a ride through the streets of Detroit. It's reality today, not thought up, not imagined, not created for a movie set. Dozens and dozens of square blocks either totally abandoned and burned out or already bulldozed. There are places where you can stand and look in any direction and see nothing at all occupied.

This building was featured on that series: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...=11110805&Ref=PH&Profile=1318&Params=Itemnr=1

But it is only one of hundreds of Auto Boom era manufacturing facilities abandoned and left to decay by Nature.

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Not exactly. Plenty of science fiction, from Azimov to Star Trek has explored alternate realities and planets which are "earthlike" but where human, or even mammals or even animals, never evolved. It, like all scifi, ranges from camp to very thoughtful.

In this disturbing show people "disappear" for reasons unexplained. The Earth is thus reclaimed by "nature" (humans, are, of course a part of nature, the most important part, in the real world).

What sort of diseased mind thinks up "what if everybody disappears". It seems to be environmental extremism that has translated itself into a disturbing mental and scio-spiritial disability.

If somebody made a show about the world without Jews, would you argue for a minute the person was not an anti-semite? How about blacks? Homosexuals? Canadians? Cubs fans?

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Like I said, the show is entirely realistic and shows some current day examples across the country, Detroit being just one.

We see infrastructure failing around us everyday (bridges collapsing, sewer and water lines decaying, etc.). This series just expands on that reality.

The premise just doesn't address how or why people disappeared. That isn't the focus of the program, only what happens after.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Amazing, the arguments we get into, isn't it? :)

Rich

19. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    The "how or why" would have to be a pretty noticable event to cause human extinction. It's impossible to make any rational assumptions about what the planet would look like after a cataclysm without at least having a basic idea of what it was.

20. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I think it would be a great location for a horror movie shoot. Something like if you survive the night you win a million dollors or some kind Hostel type movie.