1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China Speeding Ahead with High-Speed Rail

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    China Speeding Ahead with High-Speed Rail

READ MORE

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Question is, would you get on one, like going to the observation deck of the 220 story building they want to build in a 3 month span.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Last year 40 people got on one and were killed in a wreck. Many others were injured. They've had a few other problems with these trains not to mention corruption problems. Here's a somewhat less enthusiastic take:
    But apparently here in California Governor Moonbeam is making sure we'll spend several billion on one of these going to nowhere from nowhere (sorry, but the first stretch runs from Merced to Fresno and there's no assurance for money beyond that).

4. chick3112215

chick3112215 AllStar

Jul 20, 2010
    paid for by all your walmart purchases!

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    With it being a 7 hour ride, and us being car addicted, maybe they should think about a high-speed autotrain.

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Does seem as if they are moving too quickly in every direction. No, I wouldn't want to take a ride on one. Perhaps in Japan or Europe. China's moving so fast they're bound to be a bit lacking in safety protocols or building standards.

Rich

7. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    High speed trains remind me of Airplanes from the safety perspective. Normally very safe, but when something happens, it generally results in a high fatality rate due to the high speeds/non-normal operating factors involved with them. If that makes any sense.
    --
    Whereas the car may be slower and more prone to an accident, the fatality rate is much lower.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly. Considering the deadly shortcuts made in making baby formula, I don't think I'd trust these companies either.