1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CHKCARDGOOGLE Pending transaction?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Feb 25, 2012.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    First time this has shown up on my Wells Fargo checking account activity journal:

Pending transaction:
    02/22/12 CHKCARDGOOGLE* CC GOOGCOMCAUS 02/27/12 $1.00

I have no idea who is planning on dinging my account this Monday, nor for how much, because I have been told that when a pending transaction amount is entered as $1.00, it is often done as a placeholder for an as yet undetermined amount, like the gas pump total.

I almost never use this card, and when I do, it is normally for airline tickets and car rentals. I called Wells Fargo customer service regarding this pending transaction, yet remarkably, they do not have the means to see who placed it. One other strange thing is the CSR said that the charge will go through for the entire amount when placed on Monday because the "hold" secured that for them, but I put the hard limit on my account, with no overdrafts permissible, so they shouldn't be able to do that. Since I don't have any outstanding checks or recurring payments coming in, I'm going to go to the bank and pull out my cash, except for a few dollars and see how this plays out: basically, if anyone tries to grab even $10, I will find out who they are and how much they were trying to get without them temporarily tying up very much of my money.

The one coincidence I notice is that I read my card number on that date over the phone to a funeral parlor that was going to charge me $25 to pick up two death certificates from the local city hall and mail them to me. Funny thing, I don't think they asked me for the three digit security code on the back of the card. I can't remember the last time I used it without having to furnish that.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do most of my shopping on the Net and a lot of places don't ask for the security code.

I use Amex for any large purchases and they wouldn't treat you in that manner. A couple years ago, Amex called me and asked if I had purchased two one-way tickets from downtown Romania to NYC. They quickly disallowed the purchase (they disallow every questionable purchase, apparently, and check with the card holder before doing anything) and sent my wife and I new cards. Those tickets were either $700 apiece or $700 for both of them, don't remember. But Romania?

Anyhow, I've used Amex since 1983 and have had many purchases disallowed temporarily until they checked with me. Can't beat them for security. Only other bank that did that for me was BofA. Much as I dislike BofA, I gotta say they stay on top of questionable purchases.

Rich

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Unfortunately, all Wells Fargo offered to do pre-emptively was to cancel the card as "compromised" and issue a new one, but that would mean I would have to contact each company where I permit recurring or automated payments debited against it and update my bank information with them but I'd be without a valid debit card for that account until a new one arrived in the mail, probably near the end of the week, so I told the CSR that since there was the possibility that the account had not been compromised, that I have somehow committed myself to a payment I don't remember, and since I could minimize the exposure of me and them to near nothingness, I would leave the account open for now.

I have since gone to an ATM and withdrawn enough to reduce the balance to under $10, as planned.

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Do a Google search on GOOGCOMCAUS and follow one of the links that come up - you should be directed to a Google "unauthorized charge" form that you can fill out.
    Basically, this pending charge comes from Google's Adwords site. It apparently is a placeholder. A LOT of people have complained about seeing this charge appear on their bank accounts. Wells Fargo could have done a similar search and come up with an answer for you.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    But what IS Google's Adwords service or site? What kind of products or services do they offer that would ordinarily result in them making even valid debits to anyone's bank account?

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Have you used Google checkout anywhere on the net?

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I doubt it. Sometimes, when I buy on eBay, I have been steered to a seller's "secured checkout", but not recently, and I don't ever remember ever seeing the name "google" in any of those few instances.

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    This is a real long shot but by any chance does your cellphone do NFC (where you put your phone up to a "Quickpay" device in a restaurant or gas station and pay from your phone)??

9. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Google adwords allows small businesses to buy keywords on Google. For example, let's say that you're selling funeral services. You can bid on the words +funeral +services, and depending on how much you bid, an ad for your business will appear on the right. And each time someone clicks your business, you'll be charged a certain amount.

10. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Apparently, you are not alone.

-----------------------
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/AdWords/thread?tid=3de1e9cd2b8f4154&hl=en

I am not an Adwords customer, but my credit card is being billed for Google Adwords

Hello annib!

Same deal with me,seperate $150 and a $45 billings on my credit card on 12-4-08 from...

"GOOGLE *ADWORDS CC@GOOGLE.COM CA"

Level 1
    12/10/08
    I have had no response from Google either, except the form response acknowledging receipt of my "Unauthorized Charges" form.

My bank responded quickly - filed unauthorized charges through their online system, and they immediately credited my account, while they investigate.
    -----------------------

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm still trying to grasp the nature of this pending charge.

Does it indicate that someone set up an Adwords "account" such that, each time a link is clicked, some vendor gets advertising exposure to the prospective customer who clicked it, but then, when the periodic bill for that advertising-linking service comes due, Google has been instructed to debit my card account to collect their commission? Sounds like a high-risk way for someone to try to get free advertising exposure, because it will be obvious who the beneficiary of this arrangement is.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I can't sign into my AdWords account because I don't have one, and the Google form for "disputing" such a charge requires me to give them more account information then I think I should have to, to identify the account they claim is in my name. They want a screen shot of my bank statement, the expiration date on the card being debited and its last four diigits. I don't think they need all of that.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Then you'll have to file with Wells Fargo. But you probably can't do anything with them until that $1 pending charge isn't pending anymore. Good luck.

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I went ahead and submitted to Google an Unauthorized Charges form.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/request.py?contact_type=unauthorized_non

When I first submitted it without an attached, "screen shot" of my bank statement, it was rejected on the grounds that I had not completely filled it out, so I then copied the bank statement journal lines pertaining to their pending charge onto a blank "text" document and attached that where their form demanded an attached statement. They haven't yet replied, and my Wells Fargo online statement has not been changed yet, either. Stay tuned...

16. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just checked my current activity statement, and the $1.00 pending debit hold by Google that was scheduled to get actually debited yesterday, February 27th, did not get entered as a February 27th transaction. Their $1.00 Pending/hold entry has been updated to today, February 28th.

My checking account balance is now just $3.03, so I guess they were planning on dinging me for more than that but they couldn't because I had placed a hard cap on overdrafts back when the law was passed allowing us to block the bank from honoring them.

Needless to say, I have to resolve this soon, because I need to use that checking account, so I'll visit the bank today and probably 1) dispute this "charge", which isn't yet a charge 2) get the last four digits on my card changed and 3) a few days from now, contact everyone who has that card number for automatic debit and update their card number on file with them.

I am nonetheless fascinated by Google's AdWords program. It generated over $28 billion a year in advertising revenue for them last year, yet before this, I had never even heard of it.

17. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Looks like whomever is attacking my account has retrenched in response to my effective parry of draining my account of substantial funds required to process their pending charge, so now they are assaulting it with multiple $1.00 charges to take the three whole dollars that are in it:

Code:
    [B]Activity Summary[/B] 
    Ending Balance as of 02/27/12                                 $3.06  
    Ending Collected Balance as of 02/27/12                       $3.06  
    [U]Available Balance                                             $0.06[/U]  

[B]Additional Accounts and Services[/B]
    [B]Pending Transactions  [size=1]Note: Amounts may change[/size][/B] 
    02/28/12 CHKCARDGOOGLE * CC GOOGCOMCAUS                       $1.00  
    02/28/12 CHKCARDGOOGLE * CC GOOGCOMCAUS                       $1.00  
    02/28/12 GOOGLE * CC GOOGLE COM                               $1.00
    Off to the bank!

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Did you figure out when and to whom you divulged your bank account info?

The danger of drawing your account down is that a charge that should go through will be refused, creating more problems than the tiny one you have.

19. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just went to a Wells Fargo office and they reported my card as "stolen" and issued me a temporary one with a number which will be my new number, so the only minor incovenience of getting such a temporary card is that when I update my card number with those on automatic payment, I'll be changing all sixteen digits instead of just the last four. Oh, well...

My most plausible "theory of the crime" is that the funeral parlor's computer has been hacked, and there are a number of ways that such hacking could get someone that card number. The coincidence of the hold charge being issued on the exact same date that I read the number over the phone to the funeral parlor when I haven't recently revealed that number to anyone else other than Southwest Airlines and Enterprise car rental really makes the funeral parlor purchase the most plausible candidate.

Looks like I'm going to refrain from depositing a large check in that account until tomorrow, otherwise the three pending, $1.00 holds might be enlargeable and be successfully debit against the larger available balance that a deposit today would create. Once I see no charges are pending, neither Google or anyone will be able to place further unauthorized charges on that account.