1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices choices

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by StevenA, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 15
    StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I've been a subscriber for a while now, 4 years or so, and I'm thinking of updating my original 622 box. Wife says she misses it when were away from home and we don't have a sling adapter.

My question, which path to take? Do I go for a 722K or a 922, or the who knows when 813?

We have three tv's, most often were watching the same thing. Anytime though both sat tuners are recording something we have to either go ota or pre-recorded. (I get into trouble if two shows are recording and she wants to watch something live)

I would like to have the ability to watch possibly 3 different streams in HD as from time to time we have guests over and I have to switch to single mode. Of which does no good if its recording something.

Any ideas? We at least would like to access the recordings at two locations, possibly 3 when we finish up the rec room.

Choices choices

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 15
    MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    Hi, The most cost effective way to get what you are looking for is to go with the ViP722 with a sling adapter. This will work the same way as the 622 but it will allow for the sling. The second receiver will be a little tougher. You can go with a ViP211 and add an EHD (External Hard Drive) for a one time $40.00 fee. The recordings on this receiver will not be able to be moved to the 722, so this may be a set back. This receiver will cost $7.00 a month. You could also go with a ViP612 DVR, this will be a $10.00 a month receiver but with the addition of an EHD, you can move recording between both receivers.

I do like the ViP922 receiver but it will increase your monthly DVR fee to $10.00 and you will still need to get the second receiver box. All in all, it is mostly up to what you need and want in your home. If I can assist you further, please just let me know.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 15
    StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    What about the xip813? I know dish hasnt been on time with hardware in the past (like the 922) but I can wait a little since the third tv is mostly a spare and it will be another year or so for the rec room.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 15
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    They won't discuss the XiP. It's too far in the future (end of next year, probably)

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 15
    StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Should have known since I heard it was coming this month or next.

6. Nov 4, 2011 #6 of 15
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Its barely being Officially Announced at CES in January lol.
    Its far away.

you have time to do a dishin it up upgrade and then do another in a year if and when the XIP813 is released.

7. Nov 4, 2011 #7 of 15
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As forecast by the Mayan Calendar, the XiP line will appear miraculously on December 21, 2012 at the top of this pyramid in Uxmal:

[​IMG]

8. Nov 4, 2011 #8 of 15
    Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    lol!

9. Nov 4, 2011 #9 of 15
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Possibly so TRUE with DISH's history:):):)

10. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I should have gone through with it a couple months ago then. Was talking to a CSR about getting the 722k since the 922 was still very buggy at the time. That's when I heard about the 813, and asked, sounded good so I waited, guess for nothing.

11. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I thought the EHD could be moved between any receiver on the account? (I already have one on the 622) I'm not too worried about the 3rd tv, but between the living room, bedroom, and rec room it would be nice to have the same access. HD at each would also be nice.

12. MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 18, 2011
    EHD's can be moved between compatible receivers on an account. There are two different types of receiver. DVR receivers which us the EHD as an archive storage and there is not charge to use EHD's on these receivers. Non-DVR receivers use the EHD to convert the receiver into a DVR. There is a one time $40.00 activation fee for these receivers and the EHD's are not compatible with DVR EHD's as the work completely differently.

13. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I already paid that fee once, before it became free.

Choices.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If this will make it any simpler for you, the Slingbox PRO-HD works just fine with my 722 or 612. Based on what I read here and what my daughter has experienced so far with her 922, it's simpler to use.

It's not free, though there is no monthly charge. Right now its $257.98 at Amazon.

It really is simpler to use - you look at the same image that appears on the TV screen at home and you control it with a "remote" on your laptop computer screen that looks just like your Dish remote. You can watch anything you can watch at home, including recordings on your EHD. You set your timers just like you do at home using the on-screen remote.

The iPad software doesn't use the remote system, but does have a decent though somewhat confusing interface.

And if you go for the XiP in a year or two now or switch to Fios or your cable company, the Slingbox PRO HD will work with any other source box you have.

Choices, choices....

15. StevenA

StevenA Cool Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I actually looked into that some time ago, currently its not in the budget, but I'll keep it in mind yet again.

Thanks