1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromebook Introduced

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by bobukcat, May 11, 2011.

1. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I thought about putting this in the tablets thread, but since it really isn't a tablet (yet) and represents a significant paradigm shift (completely cloud based) I thought a new thread was warranted. If a mod wants to move it to the tablet discussion that's cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVqe8ieqz10

I'm skeptical of a completely cloud-based "laptop" like this but I'll have to wait and see what kind of cool tricks they can teach it.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/11/offline-gmail/

In a non-travel corporate role I can easily see this being something the enterprise could love, especially when teamed with: http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/11/google-launches-chromebooks-for-business-at-28-per-users/

And for education: http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/11/chromebooks-for-education-priced-at-20-per-month-per-user/

This really puts Chrome head to head with MSFT and Apple for more than just mobile devices, search, etc. Could be very interesting to see how this all evolves over the next 12-18 months. I expect we'll see multiple more lawsuits filed between "The Big Three".

2. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
  3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    No chasing after malware in this paradigm, right? If so, that's a big point in its favor.

4. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
  5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Saw that too. But if I understand it correctly, any patching is instantaneous in this computing model. And no fears there may be a virus lurking inside some hidden file on your computer.

6. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    AFAIK that is correct; no complex OS file structure to worry about updating, monitoring for corruption, etc.

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    till a virus hits the cloud computer and wipes thousands of users data..

still don't trust any cloud model.. I'll keep to multiple backups on my own stuff (laptop,server,second drive, dvds)

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This concept seems consistent with what Google introduced yesterday at their Conference for the next round "Ice Cream Sandwich" version of Android for tablets and smart phones - shared content via a cloud.

Very cool information you found there sir.

9. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    What's that old Kinks song? Paranoia big destroyer...... :icon_band

;)

10. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    :lol: Good song and I'm looking forward to playing with this.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Amazon had a huge issue with their cloud recently and lost people's data. Now that's not saying that they couldn't have done better at backups but it can happen.

However for most basic fucntions cloud makes more sense than non cloud setup. It is funny how we're getting back to this model considering you used to by server/client versions of stuff that was minimalistic on the client side.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    A virus hitting the server is one of the less likely problems. Sure, it could happen. If a virus could infect Uranium enrichment centrifuges that are not connected to the Internet, anything can be. But there are many things more likely.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I really like this idea, but the question is, does it have the "cool" factor. I personally think it does not. iPad proved that you can take a concept that everyone else has tried and failed at, add "cool," and it's a monster hit. Personally paying a monthly fee for a so-so piece of hardware is not "cool" by any stretch.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The monthly fee model is for business's I believe. I haven't seen anything that is for consumers yet.

15. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    They have an optional feature for businesses and education providers that carry monthly fees ($28 and $20 respectively) that includes support, the device, device replacement and some additional features. I think they view this as a way for entities to acquire the devices with service and support as more of an OPEX as opposed to a capital expenditure. I can see that being very attractive to businesses and learning centers that don't have or want the burden of a support staff for the computing device. (What do we call these anyway, they're not PCs, or PDAs, or smartphones, or laptops, etc.?)