Chromecast app loading is slow

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Mike Schwartz, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    I recently started using a 3rd generation Chromecast. I like everything about it (speech recognition accuracy/speed, simplicity, the size and feel of the remote control, etc.) but the one thing I really don't like is how long it takes to launch the apps. For example, I just timed:
    • Launching Hulu on Chromecast took 102 seconds, vs opening it on my Samsung smart TV took 11 seconds.
    • Launching Prime Video took 26 seconds on Chromecast, vs 13 seconds on my Samsung TV.
    I found this Reddit post where several people said switching the Chromecast from 5 GHz WiFi to 2.4 Ghz solved the app launch speed problem. When I tried that it seemed to make navigating within the apps faster but launching is still very slow. (The timings above were done over 2.4 GHz WiFi.)

I'm wondering if there's something else I might have misconfigured because I've seen some people say Chromecast launches apps much faster than other devices (e.g., this thread). Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    To confirm, the product being discussed is the Chromecast with Google TV?

There have been several Chromecast iterations but this one has a truly distinctive name.

3. Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Yes, Chromecast with Google TV. Sorry I didn't state that clearly before.

4. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Your experience with loading times, differs from mine. The first time I loaded Hulu I loaded the app and my account in about 18 seconds. Once done, the app reloaded almost instantly. With Prime Video, I loaded the app and my account in about 10-11 seconds.

5. Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Thanks. Given how much faster your experience is, I'm guessing my Chromecast device is defective. I am going to return it and buy another and see if that solves the problem.

6. Apr 1, 2021 #6 of 11
    Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    I returned my Chromecast and got a new one. It's having the same very slow launch times I reported above.

Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated about why I'm having this problem, when other folks don't seem to.

7. Apr 5, 2021 #7 of 11
    crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Have you updated your device since you got it? Google has released at least two firmware upgrades since the devices were released, improving speed and stability. They have also released updates for the remote control software.

8. Apr 5, 2021 #8 of 11
    Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Yes, the install process updates to the current software release as one of the first steps.

9. Apr 7, 2021 #9 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I assume that app loading doesn't require Internet interaction but that may not be a good assumption given the reddit reporting on networking impact. HDMI handshakes are configuration dependent as is authentication through your Internet connection.

Is your Chromecast connected to your TV or some other switching device?

Do you have a separate sound system?

Perhaps software updates (both the Chromecast and the apps themselves) have impacted the benchmarks and everyone's results have deteriorated.

10. Mike Schwartz

Mike Schwartz New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    I figured out the problem: My old single AP WiFi setup wasn't providing good enough network coverage. I switched to a mesh network and now app loading is fast.

B. Shoe and jimmie57 like this.
  11. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Awesome news. Glad you were able to resolve it.